General discussion

It pains me to even think this

I'm a mac owner from way back in the Plus days. Currently I have a flower power i-mac running 9.1. In the next few days will be purchasing a 12" iBook.

I have gone back to school in pursuit of an engineering degree (I'm 38 and sometimes think I need my head examined) I'm taking trig with quite a few math classes to follow. I have discovered a math program that while not mandatory in this class, is mandatory in Precalc and through all three calc classes and differential eqns. It's called My Mathlab and offered by the publisher (see the website here http://www.mathxl.com/info/wizard.asp?mml=yes&bookId=90187 )

I was told by the professor that this was Mac compatible, but apparently not. Is there some software available that emulates windoze (I know there used to be that was pretty bad). I am at a loss. Yesterday I even stopped at a computer store and asked what their cheapest system was. ACK!!! Please tell me there is a way to make this work. I would really be in both physical and psychological pain if I were forced to buy a PC.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: It pains me to even think this
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: It pains me to even think this
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Virtual PC (VPC)??

-- Is there some software available that emulates windoze (I know there used to be that was pretty bad).--

The product Virtual PC (VPC) has now been purchased by Microsoft. I did have some "challenges" with VPC 4.0, pre-MS; but it served my purposes most of the time. Haven't heard much lately. Your program may be too demanding to work under the emulation. I broke done and bought a PC for the websites and programs MS exclusive. Still trying to understand the ins and outs even to finding programs and docs I've loaded.

Best wishes.

- Collapse -
I think you meant "Matlab".
- Collapse -
Thank you RP, but I was correct
- Collapse -
Looks nice. And...

It's a Windows offering...

Bob

- Collapse -
VPC

I feel your pain. Virtual PC would run well on the new iBook and would save you the embarrassment of actually owning a PC Happy. The new iBooks have the legs to run VPC for casual use, no gaming, and might be the answer to your problem. Remember though, VPC is as vunerable to the many thousands of viri and other crud that infest the windoze world. Sometimes you have to wonder why they put up with it.
Meanwhile, wait for the revolution brother!

P

- Collapse -
He's right but...

mrmacfixit is a total guru IMHO but I don't personally think Virtual PC is worth it in these days of falling hardware prices*.

For about the same money, you can probably get hold of a real hardware PC and a monitor. It will have all the same irritations you would expect with Windows, but if you never go on line with it - and avoid a world of evil viruses/worms etc - it should be reasonably stable.

The downside is that you have to find room for an ugly PC, as well as your existing Mac buddy.

* I'm basing this on UK prices. Feel free to tell me to back off/shut my face etc if this doesn't apply to your territory.

- Collapse -
He's Right

simoncroft, No, you are not stepping on anyones territory, or toes. Reply to everything, anytime.
What about a suggestion of purchasing a used lap-top. Do not know the price. Should be really inexpensive though. If the person is back to schooling, a power book of some sorts should work. Only a suggestion.

Simon, by the way, what ever happened to the old shows of Simon Steed and Emma Peal from England? Loved those adventure TV shows. Can't rememember the name of the show at this moment. The Adventurers?

Kevin

- Collapse -
Steed and Emma

They are currently alive and well and living on the BBC America channel. The show was/is called The Avengers.

P

- Collapse -
The Avengers. YES!

Could not think of the name of the show until I woke up this morning. What a great show.
Can you inagine what the scripts would have been if the Mac was invented at the original series concept. There may have been a bit part for S. Jobes.

CNET Forums

Forum Info