The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

It is safe to charge you iPod with every sync.

by Cheeto22 / August 14, 2006 8:07 AM PDT

I heard on today's podcast that one us didn't like the idea of charging their iPod with every sync. But it's okay to do so.

Older Nickel-based batteries have had many of issues with charging due to the ''memory effect'' and the ''full discharge'' technique. But that's Nickel-based batteries only.

iPods (and mobile phones and laptops, etc.) are powered by Lithium-Ion batteries. These batteries are not affected by charging but by age (and defects/misuse but that's a whole-nother topic [KABOOM!]). The older the battery the less of a charge the battery will be able to hold. So that brand new iPod will die, eventually. Not because you murdered the battery with every charge/sync but because all things must die (well, these batteries must).

A primer charge is not required nor will it do any good (nor evil) other than a full charge.

The only good reason for a ''full discharge'' of Li-Ion batteries is for the sake of actual memory stored on chips within the casing of the battery. They can be reset for optimal feedback of the battery's charge.

(I'm 99% sure of what I wrote. But, please, correct me if I'm wrong. We aren't all perfect.)

Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: It is safe to charge you iPod with every sync.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: It is safe to charge you iPod with every sync.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Note: not all Li-Ion batteries have a memory chip.
by Cheeto22 / August 14, 2006 8:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Apple is ~wrong. Read what the rest of the world says.
by Cheeto22 / August 14, 2006 9:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
I'm glad to see you posted this, and you are correct!
by jrc162_17 / August 16, 2006 2:54 AM PDT

Since were talking about an Apple product, lets see what Apple has to say about LiOn Batteries...

http://www.apple.com/batteries/

Now I recall the intial concern is that overcharging a battery is bad.. This is a myth as far as LiOn batteries are concerned. While it is possible, there is a voltage regulator built into all LiOn batteries that prevents the battery from over charging. Once the battery reaches it's charge threshold, the regulator simply shuts down the charging process. The reason your iPod (asuming it's hard drive based) heats up when it's plugged into your computer is because the hard drive spins up for a longer period of time than when you are typically using it because it is transfering data. Amongst other things the battery will heat up as well because the charging ciruit will top off the battery until it reaches it's threshold again. So do not worry if your iPod feels a little toasty when it's plugged in, that's perfectly normal.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) couldn't have said it better myself.
by udayan71 / August 16, 2006 3:26 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?