Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

Question

Issues with IE

So Im hoping someone can help me out here. This is my first time creating a website (Well, in at least 10 years). Anyways, I found a free template on templatemonster. Ive been working all week to edit the pages for our use. Ive got it looking pretty good, however I just noticed that when I view it in IE, it doesn't show up at all?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

I have uploaded the site to www.MSPpartybus.com/test

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Issues with IE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Issues with IE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Those are the chores of the website designer.

In reply to: Issues with IE

Does the original template (as you got it, without any changes) show up in IE if you open it on your PC?
Then find the essential difference between the original and your changed copy.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Works with me in IE9.

In reply to: Issues with IE

Didn't work 6 hours ago in IE8. Did you fix it?

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks!!!

In reply to: Works with me in IE9.

Thanks for the help you guys! It looks like my work computer has IE8 and that was the issue. Guess its not compatible with it. Should I worry about that?

Collapse -
Re: not compatible with IE8

In reply to: Thanks!!!

Surely you have to worry. That means that everybody who still has Windows XP and uses IE can't see your site. That's a sizable part of your customers.
Microsoft even just a few month ago started a campaign to convince people still on IE6 to upgrade.

Time to press F12 and find out what's wrong.

Kees

Collapse -
Isn't that what this forum is for?

In reply to: Re: not compatible with IE8

Thats exactly why I'm posting here. I have limited knowledge when it comes to things being compatible across all the different browsers. Just looking for some help.

Collapse -
Difficult to say

In reply to: Isn't that what this forum is for?

IE does use different components to other browsers, eg IE uses ActiveX but most other browsers do not. Basic HTML is the same, but even then IE uses its own proprietary HTML tags.

However, in recent years Microsoft has moved to standardise its HTML rendering and I am a little surprised that your IE8 doesn't see the page. I see that Kees' IE8 doesn't see it either so that tends to rule out any problems with your own IE8.

Are you using XP? If so you cannot install IE9. But if you are using Vista/Win 7/Windows 8 you can upgrade to it, but as Kees says, many users still use IE8 or below so it does need sorting out.

How about using the HTML Validator site at http://validator.w3.org/ to validate this code and see what errors are reported, if any.

Does that help?

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Mark!

In reply to: Difficult to say

I have used IE9 at home, and the site looks fantastic. Im starting to think it might be due to something in the CSS stylesheet? These are the errors that popped up in the CSS validator site. I have no clue about CSS though. HTML i seem to be able to weasel through.. CSS is a whole nother can of worms though...

Sorry! We found the following errors (16)
URI : http://www.msppartybus.com/test/css/style.css
14 body Parse Error repeat-x
14 body Parse Error repeat-y
16 .css3 Property border-radius doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css3] : 8px
16 .css3 Property -moz-border-radius doesn't exist : 8px
16 .css3 Property -webkit-border-radius doesn't exist : 8px
16 .css3 Property box-shadow doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css3] : 0 0 4px rgba(0,0,0,0.4 )
16 .css3 Property -moz-box-shadow doesn't exist : 0 0 4px rgba(0,0,0,0.4 )
16 .css3 Property -webkit-box-shadow doesn't exist : 0 0 4px rgba(0,0,0,0.4 )
138 #ContactForm .button Property box-shadow doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css3] : 0 0 6px rgba(256,256,256,0.5 )
138 #ContactForm .button Property -moz-box-shadow doesn't exist : 0 0 6px rgba(256,256,256,0.5 )
138 #ContactForm .button Property -webkit-box-shadow doesn't exist : 0 0 6px rgba(256,256,256,0.5 )
139 #ContactForm .button:hover Property box-shadow doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css3] : 0 0 6px rgba(152,103,190,0.5 )
139 #ContactForm .button:hover Property -moz-box-shadow doesn't exist : 0 0 6px rgba(152,103,190,0.5 )
139 #ContactForm .button:hover Property -webkit-box-shadow doesn't exist : 0 0 6px rgba(152,103,190,0.5 )
URI : http://www.msppartybus.com/test/
123 Property overflow-x doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css3] : hidden
123 Property overflow-y doesn't exist in CSS level 2.1 but exists in [css3] : hidden

Collapse -
Ahh, CSS

In reply to: Thanks Mark!

Like with you, CSS is a complete mystery to me, I've tried but so far I haven't been able to get my head around it.

But that list of errors you see is telling you that some of the CSS is too new for older versions of browsers and that likely means IE8 and before.

Other errors there show different things, eg "16 .css3 Property -moz-box-shadow doesn't exist : 0 0 4px rgba(0,0,0,0.4 )" - I take that to mean there is no such thing as moz-box-shadow. However, box-shadow does exist, example and explanation here;http://www.css3.info/preview/box-shadow/

It seems as if that template is using CSS3 where as older versions of browsers may not be able to handle that.

What happens if you disable those CSS codes in your testing?

Mark

Collapse -
Re: moz and webkit

In reply to: Ahh, CSS

That are features that initially only worked in mozilla and webkit based browsers. IE9 supports them also. IE8 most likely doesn't. So you shouldn't use them if you want people with IE8 to enjoy the full beauty of your site.

More on one of them (just as an example): http://www.css3.info/preview/rounded-border/

I doubt if it explains all the issues with your site in IE8, but certainly some. So maybe it's time to go back to the drawing board.

Kees

Collapse -
Sorry, Mark, ...

In reply to: Re: moz and webkit

this is an answer to the OP, not to you. Just let me add your diagnosis was fully right.

Kees

Collapse -
I understand

In reply to: Sorry, Mark, ...

and thanks for adding more, because my knowledge of CSS is woefully inadequate.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.