HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Issues with http://www.cnet.com/news/

by techswimmer / September 8, 2014 4:15 AM PDT

I have been a long-time reader of this site. One of the recent re-designs has introduced some behaviors that degrade my viewing experience.

1) Vertical scrolling is slow and jerky. I have tried IE11 and Chrome and both are slow stop-and-go when trying to quickly scroll down the page. It seems like there is some responsive resizing or dynamic content loading that is too intensive. I would much prefer a static view rending with options to change layouts or "load more" content, etc.

2) Going into "detail" on an article is still allowing different articles to infinitely scroll below it. This does not match my viewing style at all. Perhaps this is useful to others. I open the main site, when I want to view an article, I ctrl-click it to open in a new tab. I go to the new tab and read the article, then scroll down to read comments. With the new design, when I scroll down to read comments, its easy to miss the comments area since they don't load by default, then the next article just shows up. Is there any way to turn this off? I find it very disruptive to see the next article when I am viewing a particular article. I much prefer to go back to the main page list (still in my first tab), and continuing scrolling the list of articles, etc.

These are my opinions and otherwise I really enjoy the site. If there are ways to configure the site to satisfy my issues above, I would like to hear about it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Issues with http://www.cnet.com/news/
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Issues with http://www.cnet.com/news/
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looks all good here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2014 4:19 AM PDT

Just tried it on FireFox and all fine. Try resetting those browsers and try again.

HOWEVER at the office we have this new laptop with that AMD E1 CPU and it does what you noted. Not a web site issue at all on that laptop!
Bob

Collapse -
Any reply on second issue regarding infinite story load
by techswimmer / September 15, 2014 5:06 AM PDT

I would really like to disable loading the next article when scrolling down to the comments when viewing a specific article.

Collapse -
Thank you for the feedback!
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 3, 2014 9:18 AM PDT

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, but I will forward your feedback to the product managers of CNET.

Thanks again!
-Lee
CNET Community

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.