Question

Issues with Dell Vostro 1500 Sigmatel audio

My buddy, my wonderful laptop that has served me well for the last five years without a single hiccup, has now developed sound problems. Music skips. Calls with Google Call Phone, normally so clear that no one knows I'm calling on my computer, are now as bad as Skype. People can't hear me. Scratchy background noise. Frequent cut-offs.

I did some research only to find that Sigmatel is defunct. Any thoughts on either repair or replacement, if it won't cost more than the laptop?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Issues with Dell Vostro 1500 Sigmatel audio
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Issues with Dell Vostro 1500 Sigmatel audio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Or it's one of the usual other issues.

I've seen this with laptops that didn't get the usual 6 month canned air or it's time to go inside to do the deep cleaning and replace heat sink compound. It's certainly old enough for the 100,000 mile maintenance job.

There are also other reasons such as toxic combinations of software and accepting drivers from Microsoft.

But let's say the audio is indeed dead. Why would I suffer the expense of a new motherboard over this 2 buck fix -> http://www.amazon.com/Virtual-5-1-surround-External-Sound-Card/dp/B000N35A0Y/

I carry one of those in my PC ready of PC First Aid kit.
Bob

- Collapse -
Dell Vostro 1500 Audio

Thank you! I ordered the part you suggested. Much cheaper solution.

CNET Forums