Laptops forum

General discussion

Issues with CD Writer

by aiglehawk / April 13, 2006 4:51 PM PDT

In the past I have used CD writer on my friends, desktop/ laptop and if I needed to write some file on CD, I just used to do copy and paste and after that write these files to CD.

Recently I bought my own laptop and I noticed that I can't do copy and paste on my laptop, it will not except this command.( May be I have disabled some running services). Each time I will have to open Record Now( my CD burning software) and only through it, I can write any file to CD. Another problem is that after I have written even a small file on CD by Record Now, I can't write anyother file alongside the previous file. Although the previous file is small but my disk will appear all occupied. Is this a software issue or hardware? I mean I need to upgrade my CD room or CD burning software?
I will be thankful for the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Issues with CD Writer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Issues with CD Writer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Packet Writing or software like InCD, DirectCD ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 13, 2006 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Issues with CD Writer

The CDRW as a disk drive is not a native feature. You need to remember the software title you had before, then go buy the latest version.

Bob

Collapse -
Software issue!
by Baper / April 14, 2006 12:41 AM PDT

Sounds like a RecordNow issue. Some software programs take over the CD writing functions from Windows XP. If you have a RecordNow icon in the lower right taskbar, try closing it and see if it helps. I'm not sure there is an audio/video writing program that doesn't have some issues but you may want to replace RecordNow.

Collapse -
RecordNow
by Willy / April 14, 2006 1:05 AM PDT

For your new laptop make sure you got the latest MS updates etc. and check also for any CD writer updates as well.

Make sure you don't "finalize" writing to the CD when getting the file(s) and when done, it should prompt you or be defaulted(check setting) to finalize, thus you want not to finalize. if you do finalize, you lock-out any further data additions and bascially that CD is considered full though it's not. I believe RecordNow uses the term, "appendable" one that isn't finalized. You can then re-use the CD to keep adding files. I hope this helps.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks
by aiglehawk / April 14, 2006 7:01 AM PDT

Thanks for ut help. I think I wanted to use XP os built in CD writer for CD-R drives and I did not know there is built in CR writer in OS. I burn CDs occassionally.
However I don,t know that even I have choosed option Not To Close The CD in RecordNow, even then it will not let me write another file to the CD.
BTW, I am only using CD-R disks.

Collapse -
follow up ..
by aiglehawk / April 16, 2006 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Just for follow up, just right click CR-Rom > Properties > recording>>Enable CD Recording on this drive
and now I can copy and paste and write to CD-R disks by OS CD write. Actually RecordNow might have disabled it. I only burn small files occasionally and OS burner is good for me even if it will be slow.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!