Resolved Question

Issues Connecting to Internet - DSL

Hi all,

I'm writing here because I have tried more or less everything that I could. I was having issues with my computer. It was taking awhile to start up (I figured out what this problem was later), and all of a sudden one day, the internet would not connect. I had the ethernet cord plugged into my computer, yet the computer still said "A network connection is unplugged".

It was about time for me to reformat anyway, after a bunch of hardware changes, so I backed up everything and did so. When I plugged in the ethernet controller this time, it could find when the cord was plugged in or not, but it kept delaying on "acquiring network address".

After trying many different setups, I became frustrated and blamed this mishap on either the recent storms in TX or the fact that the card was just old (I purchased the computer in 2007). When my boyfriend connected his laptop to the network, the laptop found internet. Even my Android phone is finding internet. I caved and bought a wireless controller.

My computer still stalls at "acquiring network address".

This is very frustrating for me, in large part because my phone system for my business runs from the internet, along with the fact that I work a lot online. If anyone can assist to finding a solution to this mishap, it would be greatly apppreciated.

Discussion is locked
BaaBaa_BlackSheep has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: Issues Connecting to Internet - DSL
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Issues Connecting to Internet - DSL
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
That stall is very common with WEP on WIFI

That's all I can offer given the details so far. It's a common issue if the owner of the router used WEP or "MAC FILTERS". But the owner insists the password typed in is correct. Humor the owner and change it to WPA2 for a test and disable the MAC FILTERS.

Good luck and hopefully the owner of the router will tell more detail.
Bob

- Collapse -
Eureka - How embarassing!

Bob,

I am the owner of the router. And voila, you were correct. Happy I have two passwords that I use, and I seem to have forgotten which was which. I'm quite embarassed right now! I guess I jumped the gun on posting, due to all the problems that I had previously.

I suppose I have a further question: I do not particularly wish to keep this wireless card. Do you think, from the description of the problem in the first few paragraphs, that the card itself is bad, or that there is something simply wrong with the configuration?

- Collapse -
Sorry

I can't diagnose that from here. For years I've seen bad cables, bad ethernet ports, that MAC filters bite owners and nothing points to anything specifically. The list grows with motherboard drivers (notice no ethernet driver is noted by me?) and goes on far too long to be helpful. That's why I like to hear as much as possible and then offer the most common solutions.

Sometimes we get lucky.
Bob

- Collapse -
cant resolve the same issue

Here, I am putting my own experience of using internet with DSL and the connection is showing errors here and I must look for what much better can be done to resolve the issue.

- Collapse -
Your post is a testament to

Look at your post and you see what most folk have to work with. While folk can share the most common issues and more, working with such detail can be hard on folk.
Bob

CNET Forums