HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Issue with Sony VGN-S150

by kash / August 23, 2004 3:25 AM PDT

I brought this model from CompUSA last week. The problem I am having is that when switched to Batteries I am unable to access internet and connot login to MSN Messenger at all. But when I switch back to AC adapter everything is fine. I took the notebook back to CompUSA and replaced it saying the previous one had a 'Bad Wireless Card'. Now I am experiencing the same problem with the replacement also, I have call Sony Support and have spent hrs with them and still haven;t been able to resolve the issue, they keep blaming to ISP, Router blah blah, any one has the same issue can anyone give any suggestion. This was my wife anniversary present and we arery disappointed.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Issue with Sony VGN-S150
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Issue with Sony VGN-S150
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Issue with Sony VGN-S150
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 3:32 AM PDT

If the Wifi card came with the system, call it a lemon and ask for another make/model.

Bob

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / August 23, 2004 4:39 AM PDT

If the wi-fi works on A/C but not on battery there has to be some sort of hardware issue with the Sony.

If the wi-fi either worked with both or did not work with both then likely that would be a configuration issue with your wi-fi router and/or ISP.

Compusa has a very short return policy and only for defects within the 14 days (Costco is 6 months and Fry's Electronics is 14 days but has not restocking fee even if not defective) so return that if you have tried 2 notebooks and you are already having issues you can't solve.

Unless you have bought one of the Sony Ultralight notebooks where they have exclusivity in some sizes (12.1" LCD, etc) Toshiba makes notebook in the mainstream area that beat Sony on price and value.

Note: Toshiba has 10% off all custom order notebooks online so you can specify each component as you want and save $ to boot. I don't know if you have a Pentium M (Centrino) Sony or not but the Toshiba M35S456 prebuilt is a great model to look at and it is on sale this week at Best Buy (with 1 year free interest) for 1850 but that is a 15.4" widescreen at 6.2 pounds and perhaps you got a smaller Sony LCD.

But Toshiba also has the Techra business line with the 10% off with 14.1" LCDs. See notebookforums.com

Also, if you do want a 15.4 widescreen, the HPZT3000/Compaq X1000 (6.5 pounds) are very similar Centrino notebooks to the Toshiba M35 above -- you can custom order it through 9/1/04 at HPshopping or via Costco.com and get a $100 custom order rebate through 9/1/04 and if you are a student or have a business discount with HP you can either save 6% (student) or 12% (employer) as well. See X1000forums.com for details.

Otherwise, if you have a smaller Sony LCD and want a similar smaller notebook consider Fujitsu. They sell them online or at Fry's Electronics. The only key negative is that these notebooks mostly have integrated (shared) video memory but that may be ok for you (Toshiba and Compaq/HP models I mentioned above have dedicated video memory).

Collapse -
by susceptor / November 25, 2004 4:34 AM PST

check out HP-dv1000, its a great laptop on par with the sony. It's also cheaper, and you can get one custom made from HP or costco.

Collapse -
by roxychicx23 / August 30, 2004 10:13 AM PDT

you might not be doing something correctly because i have the same model and it works fine with or without the ac adapter plugged in...i can still access the internet..it might be the settings for those particular programs..but it must be your settings or user error if two of the same notebooks are experiencing the same problem...cause the one that can access the internet 24/7

Collapse -
by Gooch / November 24, 2004 4:02 AM PST

I know, I had the same problem and the Sony folks could not fix it and wanted to replace the computer, reload/recover.. Does not work.

ANYWAY here is the fix: It is the damn Sony powermanagement s/w.

Open power manager and disapble the network/usb power saver. That fixes it.

Pass this along, its pretty simple.

Collapse -
by Ryan T / November 24, 2004 7:02 AM PST

I was just about to suggest this. A Toshiba A60 that belonged to a client did this to me.

Like shorter battery life, disabled WiFi is a "feature" on sony notebooks.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / November 24, 2004 8:16 AM PST

Pentium M (Centrino) notebooks have a chipset, cpu (Pentium M) and an approved integrated wi-fi card in order to get maximum battery life (3.5 -5 hours) using wi-fi and anything else untethered.

Apparently, Sony is in fact only shipping its notebooks to use as desktop replacements if you had to alter these settings while using batteries.
If you were a desktop replacement user you would just get a Pentium 4M in the first place.
Ouch!

Collapse -
by susceptor / November 25, 2004 4:38 AM PST

I am hearing an awful lot of complaints about Sony from a lot of people. Whats up? Isn't this company known for its cutting edge technology and cool design? Why are so many prducts comming up short and why is their customer service so poor? Are they living off their reputation now? When did this happen to sony?

Collapse -
For susceptor
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 25, 2004 12:36 PM PST

What happened is the internet. Its a great thing that many can compare notes. Before a company could get by without everyone noting an issue and sharing it.

BTW, my Sony fiasco was about 5 years ago. It was not pretty. And the stories from others continue.

If you are laptop shopping, skip the Sony.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: For susceptor
by KenSanramon / November 29, 2004 11:03 AM PST
In reply to: For susceptor

Apple has the same premium pricing and attractive design as Sony but they are #1 in quality and service and do to the halo effect of the Ipods the stock may reach $100 according to some stock traders. The Apple stock was below $20 and it is over $60 already.

Sony is dead last in major US company desktop and notebook service. Dell is #1 for desktops but in notebooks Apple is #1 in service, IBM is #2, and Dell/Toshiba and HP/Compaq are very similar in the middle of the pack. Even Gateway is ranked above Sony for notebook service and they were above the 3 companies above also in the Consumer Reports / PC Magazine surveys I saw.

A desktop can easily have parts swapped out so service is not as critical but with a notebook it is extremely critical and you also want a company that will stock notebook proprietary parts for a few years just in case (hard drives, memory, etc can be purchased retail of course if needed).

Sony is resting on the reputation its Sony Wega TV's have and the dominance the have with the Sony PS2 gaming system.

Nearly every other Sony product is overpriced compared to Toshiba, etc for DVD players, TV's etc.

The only reason to get a Sony notebook if if you want an ultralight PC notebook no one else makes, you have a memory stick digital camcorder (an Sony of course) for video editing, etc.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.