Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Issue with Retaining Settings on Firefox

by bassdude44 / June 4, 2006 7:37 AM PDT

This is but a minor problem, but for some reason, Firefox just stopped functioning properly one day. The Google search bar just disappeared and was replaced by a search bar with a magnifying glass. Also, it never starts out maximized, like it used to. In the past, it would start up maximized when I closed out of the last Firefox window maximized. Somehow, it just starts out as a smaller window every time, no matter what size it was the last time it was opened. Also, the bookmark toolbar keeps reappearing everytime Firefox starts up. In fact, no settings are kept at all. I hope I explain my problem clearly enough. Any help with be immensely appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Issue with Retaining Settings on Firefox
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Issue with Retaining Settings on Firefox
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
never starts out maximized
by tomron / June 5, 2006 8:24 AM PDT

Right click FF icon>short tab>towards the bottom,run>drop down menue

Tom

Collapse -
Also...
by tomron / June 5, 2006 11:23 AM PDT

Heres a LINK that might help.

Tom

Collapse -
Thanks for the help, but...
by bassdude44 / June 9, 2006 7:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Also...

...I seem to have run into a new problem after wiping Firefox completely off my system. I tried a clean reinstallation of Firefox, but now, it just won't come up. A message comes up that tells me that Firefox is running but not responding. It also tells me that I should close all Firefox applications or restart. There weren't any open when I checked in Task Manager, so I restarted. To no avail, same thing happened. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Still no luck. Any help on this issue would be much appreciated.

Collapse -
firefox issues
by tomron / June 9, 2006 8:21 AM PDT

Heres a LINK that might help,you may have to make a new profile.

Tom

Collapse -
More suggestions
by mart44 / June 9, 2006 8:35 AM PDT

When uninstalling, was the Mozilla Profiles directory manually deleted too? This is the one located at:

'C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default' (xxxxxxxx is a string of random letters and numbers).

It does sometimes get missed when deleting everything in readiness for a clean install. It isn't touched when uninstalling or reinstalling Firefox using Add/Remove Programs. Before manually deleting it, back up your bookmarks (bookmarks.html). This file is located in the Mozilla Profiles directory. With the directory gone, your bookmarks will not be available until you put them back again. You'd need to reinstall extensions and themes too. But then this is the kind of procedure that will cure most Firefox problems. This would hopefully include the ones you are experiencing.

It don't think you'd be able to uninstall Firefox if it is still running in the background. Could I just suggest that you have another close look at the Task Manager to see if 'firefox.exe' is listed? I know from experience that it can seem to hide sometimes. 'You can't see for looking' as the saying goes. If you really can't get Firefox to shut down, start the computer in Windows Safe Mode and uninstall Firefox (including the Profiles folder). Then it should really be gone. You might also like to read this page

Before proceeding with the above, perhaps try resetting the toolbars and controls. Make sure Firefox is not running and click the Firefox 'Safe Mode' shortcut (there should be one in 'Programs' in the Start Menu). When the Safe Mode dialogue box appears, tick the box that says, 'Reset toolbars and controls'. Then click the 'Make Changes and Restart' button. This will reset any customisations you have made. However, when you set them up again, it maybe that the settings will stay put. Worth a try before going further.

Collapse -
Score!
by bassdude44 / June 10, 2006 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: More suggestions

I deleted the 'Profiles' folder itself, then did a clean reinstall. Apparently, it worked! I guess the 'Profiles' folder itself had to go, too. Previously, I just deleted its contents. So, thank you so very much for your help!

~Wallace

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.