HDTV Picture Setting forum

General discussion

Issue with Picture Quality on Panasonic TC-P60VT60

by mft1323 / December 28, 2013 1:51 AM PST

I recently purchased a Panasonic TC-P60VT60, based on the reviews here on cnet.com. I have an older Panasonic plasma, model TC-P50G10, which I still have, I just moved it to a different room. My issue is that I cannot get the new plasma to equal the picture quality of my older plasma, and according to the cnet reviews, this new VT60 is supposed to be one of the best out there.

I've tried several different HDMI cables, and I've followed the calibration settings on cnet.com, that were used in their review.

My main issue is that I cannot seem to get a "clear" picture on my new plasma, it's no where near as "clear" as my older plasma. Does anyone have any ideas for me, or any changes I can make in the settings? I do have the new plasma in a dark or dimly lit room, and I've adjusted the settings per the cnet review, and I've gone through other settings and changed them as well, but I'm not able to get the picture to look near as "clear" as my older plasma. This new VT60 almost gives me (and others) a headache while watching it - so please let me know if anyone out there as any comments or ideas for me, thank you, as I'm about ready to take this TV back to Best Buy if I still can

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Issue with Picture Quality on Panasonic TC-P60VT60
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Issue with Picture Quality on Panasonic TC-P60VT60
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Issue with Picture Quality on Panasonic TC-P60VT60
by Viit8 / January 3, 2014 12:51 AM PST

I bought the same tv around the same time, and have the same issue as you. It is not as good as my old plasma(600u) model bought in 2006. the only differences with the new tv is smart tv but think it is not worth it this time.
I am still trying to change some settings and see if it works better.

Collapse -
Issue with Picture Quality on Panasonic TC-60VT60
by pppp3282 / January 14, 2014 7:55 PM PST

I am having the same exact problem. I also bought the VT a week ago to replace a 600U and the picture just isn't as colorful or sharp to where I would it expect it to be esp. based on everyone's glowing reviews.

I was told it could be my cable box isn't sending true HD or I have inferior HDMI cables. I have briefly tested it by running the blu ray. Its better but still not satisfied. For some reason too, I am not able to get the 24 Direct In to allow me to choose 96Hz...only 60Hz is available.

Needless to say I am very disappointed and looking for help with it.

Have you had any better luck on your end? btw, I am in TX but bought it through a licensed rep in CA.

Collapse -
P60VT60
by Res332 / January 5, 2014 9:19 AM PST

I just bought an open box P60VT60 from Best Buy and see what your talking about. Did you ever find any settings that you were happy with? If so, where did you find them?

Also, did you happen to take your TV back to the Bethlehem, PA Best Buy?

Thanks

Collapse -
This is the best TV I've ever seen,
by gexton71 / January 14, 2014 8:12 PM PST
In reply to: P60VT60

This is the best TV I've ever seen, but it's not perfect and I can't in good conscience give it a perfect, 5 star review.

Collapse -
TC-P60VT60
by mft1323 / January 16, 2014 12:59 PM PST
In reply to: P60VT60

I didn't take it back, I still have it. I've had it for about 4-weeks and I will say the picture quality is better now than what it was right after I bought it. I'm not sure if the "break-in period" is true, or needed, but it does seem to be better now after about 200+ hours of use.

I read a lot of other reviews on here regarding other TV's, and how some people think they do need a so-called "break-in period", so what I did was this:

* I reset the picture settings (that I had changed) back to their default settings.

* I kept it on the "Cinema" setting (I found that I liked that one the best), but I turned down the Contrast to 60, turned up the Sharpness to 75, kept Vivid Color to ON, changed it to Warm 1, and I set all of the other Automatic settings to Off. That's all I changed, I didn't go into any of the advanced or professional settings, I kept them at their defaults.

I've kept it at those settings for about 2 to 3 weeks now without changing anything, and I will say that it's looking better. This weekend I'm going to adjust some of the settings back to what the "Picture Quality Settings" were that were recommended in the CNET review, but I'm also going to try the recommended settings for the ZT model and see how that goes.

Anyway, I still don't think the picture quality is as good as my older Panasonic Plasma, at least not for sports (like football) and I'm really surprised that CNET has this TV rated as one of the best TV's for picture quality.....maybe I do have a bad box, or maybe I just haven't found the right settings yet....I'll keep trying and let you know what I come up with. It does seem to be better though after this 4-week "break in period", which is good.

I watch a lot of sports (college football, NFL, NCAA basketball, MLB) and my older plasma looked much better for sports, but maybe I just haven't found the right settings yet on this new TV.

Collapse -
Which box are you using?
by tpendlebury CNET staff/forum admin / February 4, 2014 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: TC-P60VT60

It sounds like there might be an issue with your cable box. The sheer size of the screen might be highlighting defects in your cable signal that you couldn't see before. 75 sharpness is quite high, and could signal a problem with softness in your source. What value was the Sharpness on your G10? It could be that you're used to an unnaturally sharp picture.

Also worth checking: are you in the US? If not, there are differences in Panasonic TVs specifically between each region, and this is the main reason people write in when the calibration settings don't work.

Collapse -
I was buy a new tv.
by gexton71 / January 19, 2014 8:34 PM PST

I was buy a new tv. looking at the Panasonic TH-42PX75U.

Compared to the myriad of other Plasma and LCD sets around it, the Panasonic had a slightly grayish tinge to the picture. Whites were not quite white.

Is this simply a calibration issue or is this a characteristic of Panasonic plasma sets?

The Samsung next to it had white whites as did all the other sets on the wall.

I did notice the diagonal edges of text on the Pansonic was smooth whereas on the Samsung and the others the lines were visibly jagged.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?