Samsung forum

General discussion

issue with ln-t4665f and philips dvp5992 dvd player

by vramanx / December 25, 2008 3:48 PM PST

i have connected philips dvp5992 dvd player to my ln-t4665f tv on HDMI2 and this is the only HDMI device connected. i have upgraded to the TV to the latest firmware on the samsung website.

i see that some dvds are not upscaled to full 1080p on playback. Transformers DVD filled up the whole screen at 1080p. BUT forbidden kingdom DVD was not. clicking info on the TV says that the input is 1920*1080p and H frequency is 67hz and V frequency 60hz.

what should i do to get all movies upscaled? i checked the philips site and it says that HDMI-CEC will determine the right resolution.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: issue with ln-t4665f and philips dvp5992 dvd player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: issue with ln-t4665f and philips dvp5992 dvd player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Settings....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 26, 2008 2:08 AM PST

Just a few clarifications here.

The first thing you want to do is eject the disc in the player and go to the setup menu and make sure that you're outputting at the highest resolution possible.

I'm unclear why Philips would state that the HDMI-CEC would determine that, since CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) capabilities deal more with user controls than automatic detections.

In short, the LNT4665 will take the source that the DVD player is sending. You just want to make sure it's sending at the highest resolution for optimal results, and most players are not set by default to do that.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Info on video being played
by vramanx / December 26, 2008 7:35 AM PST
In reply to: Settings....

i have set the DVD player to output 1080p. i had a setting called Auto as well and i changed it to 1080p. even then, the effect is the same. forbidden kingdom DVD is not filling up the screen. pressing Info on samsung remote says that the resolution is 1920*1080p Sad

i tried upgrading the DVD player to latest firmware with no effect.

is there any way to see more info about video being displayed on the samsung TV?

Collapse -
Filling the screen...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 26, 2008 12:50 PM PST

When you say filling the screen, are you asking about the black bars that may be present on the top and bottom of the screen?

--HDTech

Collapse -
filling the screen
by vramanx / December 26, 2008 12:55 PM PST
In reply to: Filling the screen...

yes the black bars. i am thinking the upconverting DVD player will fill the screen with 1920*1080p picture without the black bars.

Collapse -
Gotcha....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 26, 2008 1:04 PM PST
In reply to: filling the screen

vramanx,

Well, yes and no. The panel itself is the correct resolution. The movie showing is shown in that resolution.

The black bars you see are a result of aspect ratio, not resolution.

It's showing the picture in the original format that it was recorded.

Aspect ratios can vary, and there are several flavors of "widescreen". When it is transferred over, often times movie producers want to keep their "canvas" unmutilated by editing.

Here's an example of a few different flavors:
http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp60/samsung_hd_tech/AspectRatiosWidescreen.jpg

The directors of the movies essentially decide how their movie is going to be recorded. What you're seeing is the representation of that. Most of the time, they use the Academy Standard. Naturally, the shape of Panavision and Cinemascope is wider than a "widescreen" television. But that's why it's not filling up the screen.

Instead of cutting off the sides of the film, the only way to view the film the way it was recorded was to include those black bars.

Does this help explain? Your DVD player IS playing them the way they were recorded.

You likely have the option to stretch; many people don't like that, or zoom and fill the screen; however, doing so will either cut off the sides.

--HDTech

Collapse -
what is upconversion
by vramanx / December 26, 2008 10:32 PM PST
In reply to: Gotcha....

what is the use of upconverting DVD player then?

Collapse -
Resolution..
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 28, 2008 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: what is upconversion

The upconverting DVD player will take the DVD (480 lines of resolution) and upconvert it. This process, in laymans terms, stretches the picture to a 720 or 1080 resolution, and then digitally fills in the picture between the existing lines of resolution. It will then send that picture out to the television to process the picture and in most cases, drastically improve the picture.

So basically, all of your DVDs in 480 resolution can look better on a HDTV set.

--HDTech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?