HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac OS forum

General discussion

Issue with Leopard /finder/application

by Lanidrag / February 16, 2008 1:50 PM PST

I have 3 issues with my macbookpro, APPLICATION doesn't work, I can't open or realaunch FINDER and nothing shows up in my desktop. When I insert a Cd or DVD it doesn't show either in the desktop, Everything is Empty.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Issue with Leopard /finder/application
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Issue with Leopard /finder/application
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
issues
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 9:18 PM PST

Not sure what you mean by APPLICATION.

If you have nothing on the desktop then the Mac has not finished booting up. This is usually due to a corrupt file somewhere. I'll be back on that one.

If the problem above is a constant thing, then you obviously will not get the CD to appear on the desktop. If you have exaggerated the second problem, and it only happens occasionally, then check the check the Finder preferences / General and check that you have a check mark for everything under "Show these items on the desktop"

It would be nice if you were to share details like the version of the OS you are using. Tiger, Leopard and whether they are up to date

P

Collapse -
i have issue with FINDER in Leapard
by Lanidrag / February 17, 2008 8:06 AM PST
In reply to: issues

'm using leopard in a macbook pro 2.33 ghz / 3gb RAM / core 2 duo
The Mac has booted up, All the other programs work perfect except for FINDER and nothing shows up in the desktop. Before I used to drag a music from itunes and drag it to the desktop and it's there, or grab a photo from photo-booth and drag it on the desktop until I used it, now whatever you drop on the desktop desepear. FINDER is also inactive, and is not responding, no matter how many click i made it doesn't do anything. It's not even appear occasionally. When Click on FINDER it doesn't even give the opportunity to go to FINDR preferences. I go to the apple sign and Software Update in order to keep it updated. Still Finder and the Desktop remains the same.

Collapse -
Question
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 17, 2008 8:59 PM PST

Do you ever see the word Finder next to the Apple Menu?

If Finder is not running, as you say, then your computer will not be working at all. Finder is the OS and if Finder is not running, neither is the OS.

Take a look in the dock for the Happy Face Mac icon. Is there a little shape underneath it>

P

Collapse -
Desktop is blank
by Lanidrag / February 17, 2008 11:23 PM PST
In reply to: Question

Not only FINDER is not working but also the desktop is blank, everything else works, all other applications are working properly except for FINDER and TRASH and the desktop show nothing. The little shape underneath the FINDER only shows for a couple second and disappear.

Collapse -
Interesting
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: Desktop is blank

So you never get a menubar at the top of the screen?

Just the Apple in the top left hand corner, is that correct?

When did this first start happening? Did you install something around the same time as this started?

Apparently the desktop shows the Dock, is that correct?

If all the above are correct, I suggest that you perform an Archive and Install of Leopard

P

Collapse -
Desktop is blank / empty with leopard
by Lanidrag / February 18, 2008 6:12 AM PST
In reply to: Interesting

I do not have a menu bar a t the top of the screen, the apple in the top left corner does not appear, this first happened last Saturday whrn I insert a Cd in I realize the desktop is blank, i don't believe I installed anything except for software update, the dock is the only thing that appears on the desktop, Now I try to install Leapard but I wouldn't let me 'cause it required that I have at least 11GB free in my hardrive, apparently I have less than that, so I'm stuck 'cause there is no way to get through my files to erase some of them to make free space, and the Trash is inncative just like the FINDER. So I get FINDER issue, TRASH is innactive and Desktop is blank.

Collapse -
Please keep your replies in the same forum
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 17, 2008 9:42 PM PST

and the same thread.
You gain nothing by posting to other forums, it is the same people who answer you and it only clouds the issue.

Thanks

P

Collapse -
Crossposting in these forums...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2008 9:55 PM PST

Usually doesn't help. There are not many Apple knowledgeable people here yet so stay here so you don't get a fragmented or odd reply. Also it helps to not drain the help here by duplication of effort.

Bob

Collapse -
Same problem here
by yashgta / August 11, 2008 7:08 PM PDT

I am having a similar problem. I was asked to install the 10.5.4 combo update, but that didn't fix anything. I deleted the finder preference file and the next boot it was running fine but it was back to the way it was the next time i started it.

Collapse -
Start a new thread with your specific problem
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / August 11, 2008 9:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Same problem here

That will help others who follow along behind

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.