General discussion

Issue with adding Movies/TV Shows/Music to iTunes

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Here is my issue after upgrading to iTunes Version 10.3.1, running on an iMac OS 10.6.7. Before the upgrade I was able to move/copy a song, TV show or movie from a folder or the desktop into itunes (all compatible formats). The file would copy into iTunes and show up in the respective iTunes folder for example (~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Movies/(movie file name). Now, after the upgrade, the iTunes "show in finder" menu option shows the file in the folder I tried copying from - if the file was on the desktop, or if I moved the file into the trash, iTunes now shows that file in the original location whereas before, the file would actually by copied into the designated iTunes folder. I tried the "option" file copy into iTunes and when I hold down the "option" key to make the copy, the iTunes library disappears from my desktop, not allowing me to make the copy. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Issue with adding Movies/TV Shows/Music to iTunes
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Issue with adding Movies/TV Shows/Music to iTunes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Check the Preferences

it is possible that previously you had consolidate Library turned on but now it is turned off.

- Collapse -
Same Issue

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yep, the iTunes preference is checked and the same thing happens when I choose to "Add to Library" from the menu. I have some time today to play around with a couple of things. I'm concerned that when I select the option>copy, the iTunes "window" if you will, disappears (The application doesn't close, but the iTunes window closes - that might be a iTunes menu command of some sort. This happens when I select/hold the option key, move to the file to transfer, drag file into the open iTunes window. But it doesn't happen when I first select/drag file over the iTunes window, thens select/hold the option key - the file copies itself into iTunes. Sorry, if the last part about the option/copy is clear, hard to explain. Again thanks for your response. I'm going to take a look at the iTunes preference files and the User iTunes cache files.

- Collapse -
(NT) I'll check in iTunes this evening
- Collapse -
Deleted the iTunes cache file (In the user library folder)

Not sure what caused this issue but deleting the iTunes cache within the ~Library/Cache folder solved that problem. At least one issue is solved. i would still like to find out why the iTunes window deletes when I used the "option key" copy option - must be some sort of iTunes menu option? Anyway, thanks for taking an interest in my problem. Have good day.

CNET Forums