General discussion

Issue dual booting XP / Win 7 on separate drives

Yesterday i formatted my C drive with Win 7. On the E drive I have win Xp which was my main boot drive. I wanted to have a dual boot setup and start using Win 7 on C as the main OS and just use the Xp drive as storage unless I have to load up XP for something...

What then happened was that after installing win 7, there was no option on startup to choose which OS to boot into, it would go right into the Win 7 install on C. I downloaded this program called EasyBCD to try and fix it.. I set it up so that it showed E as a win xp install. Now when the system booted up I had the choices to finally pick from Win Xp or Win 7, however when I chose to go into Xp, it actually rebooted the system.

I then just got fed up and reinstalled XP on the c drive so i can at least have a boot.ini to edit so i can boot back into the Xp system on E which is successful; I'm on it now.

So heres what i want to do.. i want to reformat C with Win 7 again BUT this time I just want to be prepared to know what to do once its installed to be able to set it up to dual boot. I imagine I'm going to have to edit something (from what i gather win 7 doesnt use a boot.ini anymore which is what that EasyBCD was there to use to edit) to get it working, so if anyone has any tips before I delve into this again that would be great

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Issue dual booting XP / Win 7 on separate drives
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Issue dual booting XP / Win 7 on separate drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
W & Dual boot not working

You obviously have not read all threads on dual booting W7 and XP. W7 uses a completely different boot loader than XP . But MS allows dual boot easily if the earlier OS is already install...then the W 7/Vista bootloader sees the XP bootloader and overwrites it with appropriate instructions for XP.

So put XP on your C drive then install W7 on another partition "D/G whatever"....W7 will do everything automatically. Millions of people tried this last yaer with the W7 RC and XP.

- Collapse -
but...

But basically this is exactly what i did to begin with. XP was already installed... has been for years. Then installed Win 7 on a completely separate drive. Could the drive letters have anything to do with it? Does the newer OS have to be on a letter after C?

CNET Forums