Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Israeli Raid Strains Cease-Fire

by Terry Browne / August 19, 2006 2:22 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Israeli Raid Strains Cease-Fire
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Israeli Raid Strains Cease-Fire
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why isn't surprising
by Glenda / August 19, 2006 3:36 PM PDT

That you are taking The hezbollah side of this issue?
There are always two sides to any story and If I have to choose I would believe Israel over terrorists any day!

Collapse -
true, nobody is really suprised
by jonah jones / August 19, 2006 4:03 PM PDT

that the lebanese army is not able to do the job.....

IF the international force+lebanese army had been stationed BEFORE the israeli pullout, none of this would have happened (hopefully)

Collapse -
sure it would have happened Jonah
by null. / August 19, 2006 4:36 PM PDT

It is no secret that the rest of the world is not willing to protect Israel from these thugs. She'll go it alone and in the process better the world.

Don Erickson

Collapse -
Yea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by duckman / August 19, 2006 9:02 PM PDT

You can blame the JEWS again !!!!

Collapse -
Never have blamed an ethnic group as such
by Terry Browne / August 20, 2006 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Yea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but the nation called Israel. I'm sure there are many people within that country that are not Jewish and that sopport the attacks every time they happen. I am also sure there are many Jewish people inside and outside Israel that feel the opposite way about it.

Collapse -
but only you
by Mark5019 / August 20, 2006 5:35 AM PDT

have shown a preference for the terristic ways of hazzballa.
hell when hazballa started this war you were right there condemeing isreal.

you havent ever stated that whats realistic in the worlds eyes is hazballa was the cause along with syria and iran

Collapse -
This is the part that's not surprising
by TONI H / August 19, 2006 9:21 PM PDT

>>>>It also requires the Lebanese government to secure its borders to prevent any unauthorized weapons from entering the country. That task has fallen to a force of Lebanese soldiers that is to number 15,000. The soldiers are also supposed to be backed by a more robust force of U.N. peacekeepers, but the United Nations is having trouble finding countries willing to put soldiers in the region.>>>>

Considering how small the country of Lebanon is, why is it taking so long for them to get those forces in place at the borders? How many of the Lebanese military is actually Hezbollah fighters since a good portion of the Lebanese government is now Hezbollah? How trust-worthy is the Lebanese military/government?

Considering the UN has been working on the peacekeeping ceasefire for at least three weeks already and knew that the peacekeeping forces would have to be a part of it and in place before a pull-out, don't you think that other countries as part of that force would have been approached long before the document was actually written up so those forces would be ready to rock and roll? Of COURSE, there will be difficulty getting forces in there....THEY ALL REMEMBER WHAT HAPPENED THE LAST TIME IN AUGUST OF 1983 and NONE of them trust Hezbollah OR Lebanon to keep their word. The only solution would be to have 'peacekeeping forces' FRIENDLY TO HEZBOLLAH/LEBANON/IRAN/SYRIA.

Gimme a break........the UN at work again.

TONI

Collapse -
What isn't surprising?
by Bill Osler / August 19, 2006 9:40 PM PDT

Let's see:
Lebanon has not kept up its part of the bargain (no surprise there, I doubt that they have the ability to do so)
The UN has not kept up its part of the bargain (no surprise there, either, because they have neither the ability nor the will to do so)
The guerrillas are still in place acting as if they ran the country (no surprise there, the guerrillas are probably right about who is running the show)
The Israeli army believes that they have to take matters into their own hands because nobody else is going to help them (no surprise there, they are probably correct in their assessment)

The whole situation is unstable. The only things I find surprising are: (1) Israel agreed to the cease fire in the first place; and (2) Israel allowed the guerrillas to develop such an entrenched position in the first place. It may be that Israel was pressured into restraint when confronted by the growing guerrilla threat, or it may be that they had bad intelligence. I don't know. There may be reasons. Still, it is surprising that they let the situation get so far out of control.

I'm not a big supporter of Israel. The Palestinians have any number of very real reasons to complain about its behavior. Still, the Israeli's are there, they have a country to defend, and they will meet force with force. They would be acting irresponsibly if they let the guerrillas continue to build up strength again.

Collapse -
Once again............ both sides were victorious
by JP Bill / August 19, 2006 10:30 PM PDT
Hezbollah officials said none of its fighters were killed or wounded.

"They dropped here and we sent them away," said spokesman Hussein Naboulsi,

Still, the Israeli army gave few details of Saturday's raid, although it said the goals of the operation were "achieved in full."
Collapse -
Good!
by EdH / August 19, 2006 11:25 PM PDT

I am in favor of killing terrorists.

Collapse -
I am in favor of killing terrorists.
by JP Bill / August 19, 2006 11:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Good!

Were any killed?

Collapse -
Maybe not...
by EdH / August 19, 2006 11:48 PM PDT

Try again.

Collapse -
Practice,practice,practice
by duckman / August 19, 2006 11:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe not...

If the Hezbo's said no one was killed, means many were. We are dealing with Alice in Wonderland PR types

Collapse -
well jp
by Mark5019 / August 20, 2006 12:02 AM PDT

hazballa has been know to lie

and you have seen to support them

Collapse -
I'm surprised Terry, that since Israel was attacked by
by Ziks511 / August 20, 2006 12:00 AM PDT

Hezbollah using weapons supplied by Syria and particularly Iran, and that they have been withdrawing, and rocket attacks have increased because the Lebanese Army is neither strong enough nor willing enough to disarm or stamp out Hezbollah, that you should be surprised or critical of Israel's attempt to defend itself.

Generally I find myself in agreement with you, but you've got this about 100% wrong.

If it was not covert Arab policy by pretty much all Arab countries to try to remove Israel from the map entirely this thing could be settled. But it is their policy to fund and support Hamas and Hezbollah, and any other group, who, should they succeed, would then turn around and attack their suppliers because they: Hamas and Hezbollah, believe in Taliban-like theocracy rather than the various forms of Arab government that exist now. I am not saying that any of them are the epitome of the democratic ideal, but some of them: Egypt and Jordan, are less hostile, less active, and more inclined to come to an agreement.

Rob

Collapse -
You mised his point
by duckman / August 20, 2006 12:09 AM PDT

it's about the JEWS

Collapse -
You either show me where I have mentioned the
by Terry Browne / August 20, 2006 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: You mised his point

Jews as responsible or you back off!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What a sad joke!
by Evie / August 20, 2006 6:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
if the word Jew
by jonah jones / August 20, 2006 6:11 AM PDT

is synonymous with Israel....

Collapse -
Why not be honest here
by Steven Haninger / August 20, 2006 2:45 AM PDT

How much of this criticism is directed toward Israel and how much is really critcism of perceived agenda of our current US president or his (again, perceived) tacit approval of Israeli actions in the area.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?