Networking & Wireless forum

Question

ISP throttling my bandwidth - how to replace modem?

by tommasosantojanni / September 29, 2012 1:35 PM PDT

Hi to everyone and thanks in advance for any help...

I think that my ISP is throttling my bandwidth at the modem and I am here to ask help on how access full available bandwidth.

When the technician installed the fibre optic line and then the modem, he showed me an amazing 77MB/s (about 600Mbps) before the modem!!

But after the technician left these were the test results after the router:
1)
SpeedTests.net:
averages, after router, show: UP between 56/60Mbps & DN 45/75Mbps
2)
Local Server Speed Test:
average: UP 45Mpbs & DN 170Mbps

A Japanese Internet savvy guy explained that NTT East throttles the available bandwidth at the building by specific apartment/modem settings related to individual contract bundles. I signed up for the top bundle: TV, Phone and Internet connections.

This is my Hardware/software setup:

Line specs:
Line type: IEC60874-14
Connector type: SC
Core across: 9 micrometers
Clad across: 125 micrometers
ITU-TG-652
NTT East fibreoptic TV/Internet/Telephone bundle (100Mbps best effort) Hikari Next Family Type but 10Mbps is considered within parameters
Asahi ISP Internet contract

Modem:
GE-PON (WAN+Coaxial TV antenna)
"SCM-GE-PON-<H>A GV-ONU D<1>" model

Router:
RT-S300HI (4 Giga ports + 1 phone)

Router & Modem have Japanese firmware which I cannot understand and, according to the NTT East, I must rent both modem and router from them and "will not support any other modem/router setup".
I could not understand if it was because of technical or contractual limits.

I have tried to test my throughput after the modem but I could not figure out where the DNS, IP, WAN etc strings of numbers should go and, in the end, I simply cannot connect to the internet from my laptop directly to the modem so I cannot perform the same speed tests after the modem.

I appreciate help and I thank in advance for reading thus far and for any help and expertise which any one can spare/offer!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ISP throttling my bandwidth - how to replace modem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ISP throttling my bandwidth - how to replace modem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
speed limits
by bill012 / September 30, 2012 10:13 PM PDT

It is unlikely the limitation is in the equipment in your house. They know very there are lots of guys like you that can't resist digging around.

The modem you can't do much about, it will cost way too much money to get into a optical line. If this is done the way I have seen them done in the US they deliver the cable tv on one frequency of laser and the internet on another another. You would have to have this special optics to do this.

The router I suspect is nothing too special. They may be limiting your uplink speed with this but it hard to tell. I would bet it is just a rebranded PPP based router. I can't read the manuals in Japanese Happy

The way they most likely limit you is by your user id. When you log in via PPP they can then limit you either by IP or mac address on their equipment.

The test you saw done was probable a special test id that can only get to the test server. If I were them I would rig it so even if you stole that ID it could only run to the special test server.

Collapse -
Replacing a modem
by tommasosantojanni / October 2, 2012 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: speed limits

@ Bill 012

Thank you. Your reply was helpful and clear. I appreciate your time and lending me your expertise! Happy I really appreciate people who share their knowledge and abilities for the simple sake of helping others. I wish I could do likewise.

So replacing a modem is not as straight forward as I imagined or as replacing a router. Understood. BTW, the router is probably a PPP, as you say as this is the green light that they keep asking me if it is on or off.

Router:
Since the router will be easier to replace, I went ahead and I just bought a top of the line Asus (AC66U) to replace the present Ethernet only router - at least I will have WiFi and better throughput @ the router end.

Modem:
I will drop <phone/cableTV/internet> bundle in favor of internet only contract: it's cheaper, I don't understand Japanese TV and IP phone often doesn't work with fax, 800 numbers, etc. They will replace the bundle services modem which I have now with an internet only new modem next week: which are the critical settings which I should check (while the technician works) to successfully replace this internet only leased new modem with a purchased one? Any chances that I might pull it off if I get the right parameters? Which are they?

Again, thanks for your time and help!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?