General discussion

ISP tech support problem

by nondaj / June 5, 2004 4:02 PM PDT

WinXP Pro
IE browser
Outlook Express - email
ISP - Verizon.net

History of Problem:
when signed on tech put in wrong phone no.
for 3 months never was charged a fee
was cut off service one day
when called for reason why cut off from service was told had not paid bill
said I had never received a bill
supervisor finally discovered the ISP error and
said since it was their error would not charge for
the 3 months of service but established a new
account
was again cut off service later on and new tech said service had been disabled
explained the above situation and another supervisor said need not have a new account, disabled new account and put back original username account.
later on was again cut off and had to go through the whole situation over again.
yesterday again was cut off and simply went around and around in circles with billing and tech service ending up with neither one being able to tell me why my account keeps getting disabled nor could they explain the error message of "username and password not recognized on this domain". A supervisor was also unable to give any explanantion. All could barely speak English so made the whole situation even more frustrating.

To who does one appeal in such a situation and can one never get an English speaking person in these ISP offices? Do I have to again be on the hunt for a new ISP? Refuse to go back to AOL. Have been referred by friends to NetZero and Earthlink. Has anyone had any experience with either to recommend same?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ISP tech support problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ISP tech support problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:ISP tech support problem
by Art / June 5, 2004 5:19 PM PDT

I have netzero for over a year now..not bad. It use to be pretty fast but the last 2-3 months, it has gotten slower (maybe too many customers). I have been think about earthlink but I just didn't want to cough up that extra 10 bucks, hehe.

Collapse -
by Mark G / June 5, 2004 10:06 PM PDT

i was on earthlink for while was ok

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2004 10:11 PM PDT

This may sound terrible, but having not paid for the service, it's tough to complain when they stop providing it.

You'll have to call in and sit on the phone to straighten it out. Or go with cable, other...

Bob

Collapse -
'Most of your question sounds ''personal''!
by Cursorcowboy / June 6, 2004 1:09 AM PDT

I've been a user of Mindspring (Earthlink) eight years or more -- now using Roadrunner cable through them -- and very seldom have I needed to jump on their a..

Usually the situation happens when they've made major software/site changes and fail to fully notify users -- such as the latest of quarantining e-mail messages since they think it contained a virus -- and I needed to educate them a little, like I don't need their help.

For service or technical, I cannot complain -- zero.

Bill Gaston

Collapse -
Re:'Most of your question sounds ''personal''!
by nondaj / June 6, 2004 7:06 AM PDT

Thanks so much Bill for your response - gives me encouragement to try Earthlink. And thanks to rest of responders re suggestions how to handle the situation. Will give one more try on phone to see if I can get an English speaking supervisor and see if they can tell me why I get cut off as being disabled when in reality I am not.

Collapse -
Re:Re:'Most of your question sounds ''personal''!
by Coryphaeus / June 6, 2004 8:09 AM PDT

Insist on talking to someone in corporate. Pitch a fit if necessary. Then when you are ready to move, tell corporate why they are losing you.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.