Computer Help forum

General discussion

ISP or Computer Problem?

by Mo2112361 / August 7, 2008 1:10 PM PDT

I'm stumped, so I'll try to summarize this best I can. My neighbor has the same ISP as me and is having problems connecting. She had a wireless router connected to her computer but took it off because she didn't need it anymore. When she connected her computer to the ISP modem, the LAN light would not come on. But if we connected the router, the LAN light would come on, but still no internet. I decided to take my laptop down to her house and give it a try. We have the same operating systems (XP) and the same ISP. My laptop at home is connected to the ISP modem directly and works just fine. When I connected to her modem, the LAN light on the modem wouldn't work. I don't understand why the LAN light doesn't work unless connected to a router. We shouldn't need to connect to the router. Anyway, after trying all the usual stuff (ipconfig /renew, etc.), our ISP said to look at our local area connection, which showed a cable was unplugged on her computer, so I tried mine, and had the same thing. They contend it is a computer problem, but I still don't understand why my laptop works fine at my house, but not at hers. It seems to me that something between the modem and our computers is killing the connection, but I can't figure out what it is. I've tried several new cables, but have the same problem. Can anyone enlighten me PLEASE???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ISP or Computer Problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ISP or Computer Problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try powering off
by ninetywt / August 7, 2008 1:21 PM PDT

I suppose you've tried powering everything off, waiting a few minutes, and then powering it all back on?

Collapse -
Powered off
by Mo2112361 / August 7, 2008 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Try powering off

Yes, everytime we tried something, we rebooted. We've powered down everything, and then started it all back. We've unplugged every cord attached, and then reattached them to the modem. We even tried reinstalling the router software, even though we don't want to use the router now, but it couldn't finish installing the software because there was no connectivity. What I can't make our ISP understand is that whether we're connected to the router with the LAN light on, or connected directly to the modem with the LAN light off, we can't access their help page - which even if I have no internet connection, I should still be able to connect to their help page and troubleshoot the connection problems. That tells me the modem isn't being read by either the desktop to the laptop - both computers can't be wrong - especially when one works on another modem just fine.

Collapse -
Try your modem?
by ninetywt / August 7, 2008 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Powered off

If you bring your modem from your house, does it work? That would say definitely that it's her modem, wouldn't it?

Collapse -
Hadn't thought of that!
by Mo2112361 / August 7, 2008 2:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Try your modem?

I will try that. Thanks!

Collapse -
Good luck
by ninetywt / August 7, 2008 2:09 PM PDT

You're welcome! Now read *my* thread and fix that, ha! (just kidding).
Wink

Collapse -
But wait a minute....
by Mo2112361 / August 7, 2008 2:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Good luck

Wouldn't the fact that my computer works on my modem, but not hers prove the same thing?

Collapse -
making sure
by ninetywt / August 7, 2008 2:28 PM PDT
In reply to: But wait a minute....

Consider it a double check - it isolates her modem as the problem. Now, if YOUR modem doesn't work over at her house, sounds like a problem with the ISP.

Collapse -
OR
by ninetywt / August 7, 2008 2:30 PM PDT
In reply to: making sure

or, take her modem to your place? Either way, it pinpoints the problem.

Collapse -
Ahh...
by Mo2112361 / August 7, 2008 2:40 PM PDT
In reply to: OR

Gotcha. Good point. Thanks again. (And, I read your post - sorry I'm no help on that one!) Happy

Collapse -
Before you do anything
by PudgyOne / August 7, 2008 2:40 PM PDT
In reply to: But wait a minute....

Try powering everything off for 30 seconds. Then turn the Modem on first. wait 20 seconds. If the wireless router is still connected, then turn that on. Wait another 30 seconds and try and connect.

Rick

Collapse -
Did that...
by Mo2112361 / August 7, 2008 2:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Before you do anything

several times over. Happy

Collapse -
Try turning off the
by PudgyOne / August 7, 2008 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Did that...

wireless on the laptop. Plug it in and restart the computer.

Rick

Wireless and ethernet conflict with each other.

Collapse -
Did that too.
by Mo2112361 / August 7, 2008 3:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Try turning off the

Seriously, I've tried almost everything. Happy

Collapse -
Let me start over slowly
by PudgyOne / August 7, 2008 3:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Did that too.

I'm guessing she has DSL, correct?

Collapse -
Yes, She has DSL...
by Mo2112361 / August 7, 2008 9:39 PM PDT

And I'm leaving the router disconnected. She has no need for it now and the problem is getting her desktop connected to the internet via the modem.

Collapse -
Remember this
by PudgyOne / August 7, 2008 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes, She has DSL...

Everything, phone answering machine, faxes, MUST have a DSL Filter on it. Everything except the DSL Modem itself. You may share a DSL Filter.

wall > DSL Filter > splitter > multiple devices

Her modem setup should look like

wall > DSL Modem > wireless router(if used) > wired/wireless

The last light on the DSL modem will NOT light unless a computer or device is connected to it. When it was connected to the wireless router, if the wireless was not setup first, then this is why it failed to work. The Forum Sticky has instructions on how to setup the wireless router. Make and model of the wireless router would help.

Also check and see if there are any yellow exclamation marks in the device manager. (Right click my computer, left click properties, right click hardware, right click device manager.)

Rick

Collapse -
More explanation
by Mo2112361 / August 7, 2008 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Remember this

Thanks for the info. Yes, there was a yellow exclamation point on the wireless router in the device manager, which is why we're trying to eliminate that from the equation. The setup we have is:

wall > DSL Modem > wired

I cannot get an IP address, though the computer does recognize it's connected - just shows limited or no connectivity. What I don't understand is why my laptop, when connected to her modem and with wireless disabled on my laptop, won't connect either. In my mind that should mean that there's a problem with the modem, not her computer. How is it that both our computers can have the exact same problem with the same modem?

Admittedly, I'm not a techie, but I'm educated enough to understand some of this technical stuff and can follow what it should do when I'm reading about it, but I'm truly stumped and frustrated by this.

Thanks!

Collapse -
That's not supposed to work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2008 10:20 PM PDT
In reply to: More explanation

"wall > DSL Modem > wired

I cannot get an IP address,"

With DSL Modems we use (most cases) PPPoE. I won't explain PPPoE (see google.) So you really should not tinker with PPPoE since you'll only make a mess as you have to uninstall that later.

Instead move to something like this:

"wall > DSL Modem > router > wired"

And let the router handle the PPPoE login.
Bob

Collapse -
HN7000S family, is a high-performance broadband satellite
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2008 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: More explanation

"HN7000S family, is a high-performance broadband satellite modem"

This is not DSL. You may have derailed your discussion here. I can only give good advice if you give good details. For satellite systems you need to get your ISP to own up to fixing them.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry
by Mo2112361 / August 7, 2008 11:14 PM PDT

you're right - I did derail it. Didn't mean to.

So, now I'm back to where I started - I can't get HughesNet to admit that it's a problem with their modem, not with the computer.

<sigh>

Collapse -
Forum Sticky
by Mo2112361 / August 7, 2008 10:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Remember this

Ok, just reviewed the Forum Sticky link you included in your post, and I have not tried the Winsockxpfix. I will give that a try.

Another question on setup. Why is it important to have a router in the equation? The computer hooked to the modem should still work....I'm not trying to connect as wireless. She just happened to have that router and was using it.

Her ISP company keeps bringing that up, too, and I don't get why there HAS to be a router.

Collapse -
Please post
by PudgyOne / August 7, 2008 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Forum Sticky

The make and model number of the DSL Modem.

wall > DSL Modem > wired computer should be fine, since you don't want to use wireless.

Make and model will help. Some fail quicker than others do.

Rick

Collapse -
HughesNet
by Mo2112361 / August 7, 2008 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Please post

It's a HughesNet modem provided by the HughesNet ISP. HN7000S

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!