Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

ISP help re Mozilla email

by nondaj / March 20, 2004 2:44 PM PST

I received a message from Verizon, my ISP, that I needed to empty my mailbox as it was almost full and would receive no new email soon. When I called to question this since I keep my email box emptied almost daily, I was told that Verizon does not support the email Mozilla and could not help me. Find it strange that my question is not about Mozilla but about the web mailbox of the ISP and their mail services. I want to set it up so that once I download an email it does not stay on the server thus avoiding an overloaded mailbox on the server, but since Verizon claims they do not support Mozilla, I could get no answers to my question. Is this going to be the usual service response by my using Mozilla instead of an email my ISP wants me to use which is Outlook Express and which I do not like?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ISP help re Mozilla email
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ISP help re Mozilla email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:ISP help re Mozilla email
by glb613 / March 20, 2004 8:03 PM PST

Have you checked your Outlook Express account lately? Just because you don't use it doesn't mean it hasn't been receiving mail. Junk e-mail/spam adds up over time and your space on the server could be full. That is where I would start. If it is empty, contact Verizon again.

Collapse -
by Yew / March 20, 2004 8:34 PM PST

Unfortunately yes, this is a typical response. However, most companies DO support Netscape 7, which is basically a rebranded Mozilla 1.4. So, virtually all instructions for Netscape 7 will translate almost directly to Mozilla. Poke around Verizon's website for instructions on setting up Netscape 7, and I'll bet any screenshots they have will even look almost identical.

Collapse -
Re:Re:ISP help re Mozilla email
by nondaj / March 21, 2004 2:02 AM PST

Thanks guys for your insight - will check out Netscape 7 and also check my Outlook Express - did not realize it collected mail even though I did not use it.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:ISP help re Mozilla email
by glb613 / March 21, 2004 2:49 AM PST

Every ISP I know automatically assigns you an e-mail account with your sign on or master screen name. It can sit and collect junk e-mail until it is full if you don't delete it once in a while. You could change your settings to block all mail if you really don't want to use that account.

Collapse -
by William Randall / March 21, 2004 6:51 AM PST

May it be assumed that the box "leave messages on server" is NOT checked in Edit | Mail and Newsgroup Settings | Server Settings?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?