Mac OS forum

General discussion

iSight problems

by claudie / March 4, 2005 9:11 PM PST

I've been trying to video chat from my iBook to a friend's PC, (iChat to AIM) and it won't let me do it! I'm in OS X panther and he's in Windows XP and has a web cam, but the audio and video options are still greyed out. Can anyone help!?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iSight problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iSight problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
iChat
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 4, 2005 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: iSight problems

hi,
The difference in the two platforms is not a factor in this current problem. Let's cover the basics first and then see how we get on. I am going to assume that you have a Broadband internet connection, Cable or DSL.
Make sure that your iSight camera is connected to the Firewire port of your Mac and turned on. Launch iChat, if it did not automatically launch, and go to the Preferences menu. Under iChat on the menu bar at the top of the screen. Select the Video Tab and make sure that the camera is recognized by iChat. Set the sound input to whatever you are using. Usually External Microphone/Line in. Make sure you actually have a microphone plugged in. You did not mention what computer you had and that can make a difference. iMacs have a built-in Microphone, Most of the Beige Macs do not. Put a check mark in the Automatically open iChat when camera is turned on. Put a check mark in the box below it too. Close the prefs window. Go to the audio menu at the top of the screen. Check to see that Microphone Enabled and Camera Enabled have a check mark next to them. if they don't put one there by sliding down to the first one and releasing the mouse. Repeat with the second one.
If everything is working correctly, you should be able to iChat/Video to your hearts content.

Let us know how you get on,

Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
iSight problems
by claudie / March 4, 2005 11:30 PM PST
In reply to: iChat

Hi,
thanks for your help, unfortunately had covered all that stuff already (I have an white iBook btw)! I'm actually wondering if its a problem at the other end now, making sure my friend has the latest version of AIM with video capability...if not, I'm not sure what to try next!!
Claudie

Collapse -
Not the other end
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 5, 2005 2:11 AM PST

All the problems that you report are at your end. The camera & Microphone should be activated in iChat, without the options being dimmed, even before you have connected to anyone.
Has the iSight camera ever worked in iChat?
Does the camera appear in the iChat preferences?

P

Collapse -
iSight problems
by claudie / March 5, 2005 9:36 PM PST
In reply to: Not the other end

The iSight is definitely working, does appear in iChat preferences, and all the options are there now. Unfortunately at the PC end (even having downloaded latest version of AIM, extra stuff for XP and modified internet settings as per AIM web site), its still not working. When I send an invite to video chat, i get the message back that my buddy has refused, and when he tries, it just doesn't connect...ho hum...completely baffled now...

Collapse -
iChat
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 5, 2005 10:42 PM PST

"All the options are there now". 6 words that put a whole new perspective on the problem. Now the problem is not at your end but is on the receiving end.
Can you do Video with anyone else?? I know that you do not have to have Video sending capabilities at the receiving end to be able to receive it.
Hold on, I just had a brain spurt. Does the XP (required) machine have SP 2 installed?? If the answer to that question is Yes, then it may be that the internal PC firewall is blocking incoming stuff.
Try this from the Apple site:
Updating a Windows XP computer to SP2 may cause Mac iChat AV to AIM 5.5/5.9 PC video and audi connections to fail because, by default, the firewall created by SP2 blocks UPnP communications from the Internet

If the SP2 firewall is enabled

Go to Start>Control Panel>Security Center>Manage security settings for: Windows Firewall>Exceptions tab> add or check UPnP Framework as an Exception.
(EDIT: You can go straight to the Firewall Control Panel [Start>Control Panels>Firewall] )

(EDIT: 2a Use the Add Button and Add the AIM appliction.

Select UPnP Framework and click the Edit... button.

Be sure that both the TCP 2869 and UDP 1900 ports are checked and listed as 'Any' under Scope.

If the Scope of each port is listed as 'Subnet,' click the Change scope... button, and select the 'Any computer (Including those on the Internet)' radio button. Do this for both ports, and then save the changes by clicking the OK buttons.

Hope this helps.

P

Collapse -
iSight problems
by claudie / March 5, 2005 11:11 PM PST

Video chat definitely works with other people on iChat, so I'll try what you suggest. Thanks for that, you're a star!
Claudie

Collapse -
iSight
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 6, 2005 7:53 AM PST

Glad I was able to help you

good luck

P

Collapse -
ichat
by moneyraker / March 12, 2006 12:13 AM PST

I am also having problems with my iChat and desperate for some help. I have a mac and trying to speak with a PC user using Aim. I can see myself, but they can't seem themselves in the view window. Also, when I invite them for a chat I get disconnected, with the error message coming up that I have insuffiecient bandwidth. I am, however, using an ADSL wireless connection. It should be fine. What am I doing wrong?
Also, I can't seem to hear anything. I have followed all of the instructions below...have the internal microphone tab clicked, and have the microphone enabled. Not sure what else to do
Please help....

Collapse -
Just a small question
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 12, 2006 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: ichat

Have we to assume tht you have done ALL the things that the original poster was asked to do?

Every thing that you have mentioned, with the exception of the insufficient bandwidth, points to the problem being at the other end.

"but they can't seem themselves" (assume see) would be the camera at their end, "have the microphone enabled" has nothing to do with receiving audio from the other end. the microphone is for Sending audio, not receiving it.
It is still possible to have insufficient bandwidth if you have the "economy" version of your local Phone Company's DSL service. The uplink, from you to the ISP, is always a lot slower than the downlink. Most phone companies will throttle back the bandwidth on both the up and downlinks and then sell you a "Broadband" package that is "much cheaper than cable"
Find out from your ISP what your Up and Down link speeds are supposed to be and then check them with a BroadBand Speed Test. Google for them.

Have you been able to successfully Video or iChat with any other person?

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.