Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is Zimmerman Jewish?

by James Denison / April 6, 2012 3:55 PM PDT
Does this mean he's now a Jewish Hispanic? I'd say not anymore than a White Hispanic, but then I'm not the MSM. Oddly enough though, it seems based on the name and lighter appearance they'd have identified him as Jewish Hispanic before calling him White Hispanic. I wonder what religion, if any, he identifies with?

what we now know of George Zimmerman, the man accused of killing of
17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida, he is a sum of
hodgepodge parts: Jewish, Catholic, white, and Peruvian.

Hispanics aren't a race but a multiracial minority group, much like
Zimmerman is a multi-background individual. To be Hispanic—a very modern
construct, and a self-identified one—a person must have been in the
United States for an extended period of time, and have roots in a
Spanish-speaking country

The terms Hispanic and Latino, the report notes, are "unique to the U.S. ... not widely used elsewhere."

The popular idea of Hispanics as a single, homogenized group began in
the early 1970s, and was formalized in 1976, when Congress passed a law
mandating the Census collect information on Hispanics
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Zimmerman Jewish?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Zimmerman Jewish?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: I wonder what religion, if any, he identifies with?
by JP Bill / April 6, 2012 7:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Is Zimmerman Jewish?

and I wonder why that matters.

Collapse -
it might
by James Denison / April 7, 2012 12:44 AM PDT

so far as his approach to life. Is it "eye for eye" or "turn the other cheek"?

Collapse -
Ask Zimmerman....IF you can find him.
by JP Bill / April 7, 2012 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: it might

Don't ask others what his approach is....they're ALL biased. (except for you)

Collapse -
"Messy Nature of American Identity"?
by Steven Haninger / April 6, 2012 8:00 PM PDT

Does this only relate to white and Hispanic persons? What percentage of African Americans are not only genetically pure from that continent but traceable to one country within it? Not many, I suspect. This is a non story, IMO.

Collapse -
matters to the author, maybe Zimmerman too.
by James Denison / April 7, 2012 12:54 AM PDT

Seems the author makes his living by teaching on the subject. He's a "light complexion" Mexican who also has an interest in Jewish matters (maybe he's also Jewish?). Here's some background information on him. Maybe things are looking up for Zimmerman now if he's about to get Jewish support on his behalf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilan_Stavans

Ilan Stavans (born Ilan Stavchansky on April 7, 1961, in Mexico City) is a Mexican-American, essayist, lexicographer, cultural commentator, translator, short-story author, TV personality, and teacher known for his insights into American, Hispanic, and Jewish cultures.

http://cms-int.amherst.edu/people/facstaff/istavans

Degrees
Ph.D., Columbia University (1990)
M.A., Columbia University (1988)
M.A., The Jewish Theological Seminary (1987)
B.A., Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana (1984)
A.M. (honorary), Amherst College (1998)

Teaching Interests
Ilan Stavans has taught courses on a wide array of topics such as Spanglish, Jorge Luis Borges, modern American poetry, Latin music, Don Quixote, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Modernismo, popular culture in Hispanic America, world Jewish writers, the cultural history of the Spanish language, Pablo Neruda, the history of the Spanish language, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, Yiddish literature, Jewish-Hispanic relations, cinema, Latin American art, and U.S.-Latino culture.

Collapse -
Speaking of mixed heritage,
by Steven Haninger / April 6, 2012 8:50 PM PDT

can't we say that we may have our first Afro-Hawaiian in the White House? Devil

Collapse -
(NT) I thought he was Keynesian?
by Tony Holmes / April 6, 2012 9:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
Is that an economic Kenyan?
by James Denison / April 7, 2012 1:08 AM PDT
Shocked
Collapse -
(NT) This is actually funny, thanks James. Rob
by Ziks511 / April 10, 2012 11:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
don't forget
by James Denison / April 7, 2012 1:04 AM PDT

his father was Kenyan and there's a rumor Obama was actually born there, backed up by his Kenyan grandmother. Would Obama also still be a British subject? Did he receive citizenship in Indonesia? We still don't have his college records, especially if he used any benefits as a "foreign student". It might be hard to properly classify him. Conservatives would probably just refer to him as a black American. Liberals seem to live more defining titles as recently evidenced in the press concerning Zimmerman. Since most don't define themselves by the state they live in since days of Robert E. Lee (god bless his soul again), then I'd say Hawaii as part of his definition might not apply, especially since his grandparents were from Kansas. I'd have to discount Chicago since most other than New Yorkers don't bother with cities as a defining characteristic of who they are. That leaves some form of Afro-Kenyan, former British, possibly Indonesian, black & white American. It really gets difficult when you try to think like the main stream liberal media. There are seemingly other unwritten rules on exactly who gets defined so closely and who is allowed to pass under just one defining characteristic.

Collapse -
LOL
by Josh K / April 11, 2012 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: don't forget

You never cease to amuse.

Yes, conservatives probably would refer to him as a black American (if, unlike you, they're willing to concede that he was born in Hawaii).

Non-conservatives, on the other hand, would simply refer to him as an American.

Wink

Collapse -
In the Jewish community, faith is Matrilineal. If his
by Ziks511 / April 10, 2012 10:56 AM PDT

mother was Jewish, he is Jewish, if his mother wasn't, he isn't. Now that's from a lapsed Presbyterian with Jewish friends.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.