Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is your canine corpulent?

America's weight control crisis is now affecting our pets.

About 50 percent of all pets are overweight, according to Marty Becker, a veterinarian who has written a book called "Fitness Unleashed" to help both pet and owner lose weight together and keep it off.

Corpulent canines aren't cute. They are unhealthy and in danger of an early trip to pet purgatory, Becker said.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=1917327&page=1

i've seen dogs so "killed with kindness" they can hardly walk. (A sheltie) "But he just loves steak, so we always cook one just for him."

Having had 2 huskies that are of the "working class", I know that class must be given lots of exercise and "sonething to do" or they become fat very quickly. Surprisiingly, their metabolism makes them need very little food (they were not "mushers"). Mine got just a rounded cup of dry food daily, and 2 dog biscuits. They both lived to a ripe old age.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is your canine corpulent?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is your canine corpulent?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
FDA has approved a prescription drug for obesity in dogs

In reply to: Is your canine corpulent?

Called Slentrol, the Pfizer Inc. drug is aimed at helping fat Fidos shed extra pounds.http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070105/PETS/301050026

and from my local news:
Local veterinarians are not surprised that the Food and Drug Administration has approved a prescription drug for obesity in dogs.

"I'm sure there will be a demand for it," said Dr. Ian Wetherly of Haverstraw Animal Hospital. "I've seen some dogs that make a very nice cocktail table: short, fat and square."

An estimated one out of every 20 dogs in the United States is obese, while an additional 20 percent to 30 percent are merely overweight. Now the FDA has allowed Pfizer Inc. to sell a drug called Slentrol to treat chubby canines.

Pfizer estimates the drug's cost at $1 to $2 a day. It can't be used for overweight humans, or cats, for that matter.

Dr. David Groblewski** of Heights Hospital for Animals in Yorktown said he is disinclined to feed an overweight dog a drug as the first step in treatment.

"In our society, everybody wants a pill to fix something," he said. Obesity could be a symptom of other health problems, he said, including a malfunctioning thyroid or other maladies of the dog's ormone system.

http://www.thejournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070109/BUSINESS01/701090321/1066

**that is my vet. he is a very compassionate professional. his caring is tempered by rational realistic assessment. his reason does not discount the emotional stress, instead he uses it to guide your decisions.

Collapse -
Teddy is overweight now

When she was running through the fields until four years ago doing her job of killing critters, she weighed 22 pounds and held it for years and years. Since she mainly stays close to the house now, never runs anywhere out there anymore and sleeps most of the day (and night) she's upped the ante to 33 pounds. Since her seizure, and my discovery about how much more she weighed, she no longer gets her goodie snacks (high in sugar like cookies), but occasionally still gets a few leftovers from my plate as enticement to eat her dogfood as I mix them up in the plate. When I got back Monday night and went to lift her up the steps to bed, I was surprised at how much lighter she actually felt to me, so perhaps she's shed a few of those pounds during my absence....which is good for both of us. lol

TONI

Collapse -
My dog isn't too fat

She's just too short. Devil

This is true. I'm used to raising Great Pyrenees weighing about 100 pounds plus with no fat. This dog should weigh about 65-70 pounds and weighs about 90 pounds. Just not used to feeding such a small dog.

Diana

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.