Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Is wireless 128 kbps okay or frustrating?

I'm considering cutting my home internet (US Dollars $65/month lowest price available to my home). Instead, I am considering a basic AT&T prepaid smart phone data plan ($30/month for 1 GB high speed which will be used-up quickly, then slowed to unlimited 128kbps for the rest of the month). Never have had a data plan before; just calls & text.

I don't use home internet to watch movies, tv shows, sports, YouTube, Skype, upload photos/video, Facebook/social media, and I don't play video games.

At home, I use internet connection for e-mailing people (text characters only/no pics), online banking & bill paying, reading news articles, and participating in online discussions, like here at CNET forum, (about 3 hours per day).

Is 128 kbps wireless service frustratingly slow (to load pages due to pics and ads on every new page) or okay for my wireless usage purposes?

Post was last edited on July 8, 2018 8:04 AM PDT

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is wireless 128 kbps okay or frustrating?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is wireless 128 kbps okay or frustrating?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It will feel sluggish

In reply to: Is wireless 128 kbps okay or frustrating?

But hey, if you're not upset by the slow system, why not?

The other problem I have with Cellular Internet access is sometimes it just doesn't work. Be sure your carrier works with the phone or such before you pull the other plug.

Collapse -
When a major Windows 10 update arrives.

In reply to: It will feel sluggish

This will be when you will curse this connection. Any chance to move to other than Windows 10?

Collapse -
Answer
This plan is not viable for home Internet

The AT&T basic smartphone plan for home Internet use, is not viable for home Internet speeds in terms of download and upload speeds. In less than 3 minutes, a download rate of 6 Mbps will use up more than 1 GB of bandwidth at the maximum. At the minimum, it is the following.
1 GB in 3 to 5 days

Data plans are not made to be used as Home Internet plans. Given that the 1 GB of high speed Internet will only last a very limited amount of time, I would recommend, keeping your $65 per month Internet plan. Slow data speeds make using a modem or router to get Internet from phone lines or Cable lines more practical. Data transfer will be too slow once the 1 GB has been used up every month.

Collapse -
Answer
Depends

Basically it depends of the website data you are opening, e.g if the webpage only consists text it will easily open but if the webpage will have images or any other media it will consume time to open the webpage. I'm not saying that its bad, it can be good but sometimes it may be slow. And at that time you will be frustrated by it because of slow speed. It can also slow down your work if it not give you the speed in your work hours.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.