Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Is Windows Compatible with Microsoft Office 2002?

by RayPaula / January 13, 2010 11:16 PM PST

Hi,
I would like to know if Windows 7 is compatible with Microsoft Office XP Professional version 2002. If so, could you point me in the right direction where I could upgrade and/or install drivers? Your help is most appreciated. Thank you, Ray

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Windows Compatible with Microsoft Office 2002?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Windows Compatible with Microsoft Office 2002?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Iffy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 13, 2010 11:34 PM PST
Collapse -
Windows 7
by RayPaula / January 13, 2010 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: Iffy.

Hi,
I should have put Windows 7 in the post instead of just windows. Thanks, Ray

Collapse -
Check Google
by Jimmy Greystone / January 14, 2010 12:51 AM PST

Check Google, and you can have an answer for almost every program in a few seconds. Just use a search like: "<program name> Windows 7 compatibility" and you should be able to get an idea if the answer is yea or nay from the little excerpts shown for the first couple results.

And if OfficeXP doesn't work with Win7, there's always OpenOffice. Even by Microsoft's own admission, it's around the level of Office XP. Plus it's free, and 99% of MS Office users probably never use 99% of the features available. Probably 99% of MS Word users never exceed the feature set of WordPad that is bundled with Windows.

Collapse -
And...
by R_Head / January 14, 2010 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Check Google

If you want just basic Word Processing usage you can use Google Docs. All you need is to create a Google G-Mail account and off you go. Web Base Application from any computer, any platform (Linux, MAC, MS, etc...) as long as you have a Web Browser and a Web Connection.

As before, my preferred Office Suite is Open Office, way more bang for you $$$ with free updates and no code keys Happy

Collapse -
Compatibility issues
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 14, 2010 8:48 AM PST

Hello Ray,

I suggest you look at the Windows compatibility center with software concerns: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Search.aspx?type=Software&s=Microsoft%20Office%20XP%20Professional%202002.

It doesn't appear Office 2002 is compatible, but there may be work a work-around, such as running XP Mode: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode. Or trying the Program compatibility troubleshooter: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Make-older-programs-run-in-this-version-of-Windows.

Good Luck!
Tara

Collapse -
Windows
by RayPaula / January 15, 2010 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: Compatibility issues

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I believe I'll go with Office 2007. It appears that it will work with Windows 7. Thanks again for everything, Ray

Collapse -
Microsoft Office
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 15, 2010 1:49 AM PST
In reply to: Windows
Collapse -
Thanks
by RayPaula / January 15, 2010 2:33 AM PST
In reply to: Microsoft Office

Hi,
Thanks for the link! That's not a bad idea. I have a question; Could you explain to me what beta is? Thanks again, Ray

Collapse -
Beta means testing
by Jimmy Greystone / January 15, 2010 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Beta means it's an incomplete testing release. So it may have bugs (more than usual) and you would be ill advised to entrust any important documents to it. It's designed to give you some idea of what is in the works, as well as help MS devs by getting more people poking and prodding it finding bugs.

Do keep in mind that Microsoft has done away with the cheaper upgrade versions of MS Office starting with 2010, so you will likely be looking at a minimum of $250 when the software is released. When you stack that up against OpenOffice, which is free and really quite capable, it seems pretty attractive even if it might have a few rough edges.

In any case, beta means it's an incomplete testing release. Do not trust it with anything important, as anything and everything about the software is still subject to change, and there are going to be bugs. It is useful as an evaluation tool to decide if this release is of any interest to you or not, just again DO NOT TRUST ANY IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS TO IT. Do not become the latest person who comes here with a sad tale about using some pre-release software to create some important document, and make us tell you that there's nothing that can be done to recover this document that ceased to function with the final version of the software. It's an all too common tale, and I'm sure you don't want to be the latest person to take up the role of the disappointed user.

Collapse -
No beta for me:
by RayPaula / January 15, 2010 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: Beta means testing

Hi Jimmy,
You just helped make my decision. I'm going to go with Office 2007. I don't need the headaches and I don't like the idea of being a guinea pig. I'm sure that Office 2007 isn't perfect, but most of the bugs should be out of it. Thanks for explaining to me what beta is. Most of all thank you for saving me from Office 2010 beta. Your help has been most appreciated. Thanks again, Ray

Collapse -
That's your choice
by Jimmy Greystone / January 15, 2010 8:00 AM PST
In reply to: No beta for me:

That's your choice, but personally, the free on OpenOffice makes it very easy to overlook it's minor rough edges. What's the Home and Small Office version of Office 2007 run, like $150? That's a decent chunk of change if you ask me.

But regardless, glad to help. Beta tests are fine for some people, you just have to know what it is you're getting into beforehand. And just for future edification, the typical software development pattern goes something like the following. You have pre-alpha code which generally only developers see. Then you get to alpha, which typically means it's still pretty rough but the general structure is more or less in place, though it doesn't preclude radical changes. Then you eventually move into beta, which usually means that the focus has shifted more to bug fixing and performance tuning, but the program is typically feature complete. Then you might have a release candidate. These are exactly what you might think based on the name. They are kind of like a final inspection of the program before it's officially released.

Collapse -
More about beta
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 15, 2010 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Thank You!
by RayPaula / February 17, 2010 9:30 PM PST
In reply to: More about beta

Hi,
Thanks for all the great replies! I went ahead and installed Office 2007. So far, all work extremely well. Thanks again for all the help, Ray

Collapse -
Glad you like it!
by TaraS_WinTeam / February 19, 2010 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: Thank You!
Collapse -
Thanks!
by RayPaula / February 19, 2010 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: Glad you like it!

Thanks Tara...... I'll check it out! Ray

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!