Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Is Windows 98se still a viable operating system?

by dennisond / January 23, 2006 9:30 AM PST

I posted this on this past Friday and got 3 replies, however, none was quite the answer but all had one central theme. When I put this computer in my grandaughter's room 4 months ago, I installed AOL as this computer as well as the 2005 model with XP are both on the same phone line. I asked AOL tech support if I needed to install a separate anti-virus and firewall on it. It had sat idle for several months while I decided whether or not she was old enough to operate. They told me no as they were both on the same phone line. It worked good at first and suddenly Power DVD started acting up. I added 64 MB memory stick and it got faster for a little while and I added the McAfee anti-virus and firewall off AOL and Spyware Protection. Spyware Protection made one scan and never worked again, PowerDVD all but quit and I started getting crazy messages and freezing up. After I posted, I got rid of Aol, loaded People PC and System Mechanic Pro 6, and it got better immediately. The only problems I have now is Power DVD isn't working right and I am unable to install anything else to the desktop. I have unzipped files 867 times and no go. What next?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Windows 98se still a viable operating system?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Windows 98se still a viable operating system?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Removing Power DVD
by the_real_martian / January 23, 2006 11:05 AM PST

If that doesn't work, run a registry cleaner (CCleaner is a good one - available @ filehippo.com). If that doesn't work, try reinstalling 98SE, or upgrade your OS.

Collapse -
spyware and all...
by reefurbb / January 23, 2006 10:33 PM PST

AdAware and Spybot Search And Destroy. AVG Antivirus 7.0.
McAfee and such eat a lot of RAM. Your 64mb may not be enough for DVD work. What is your processor speed? 333mhz may now be too slow. 500mhz should be enough.
What did you unzip and try to install 867 times?
AOL and all it's stuff can be tough to well uninstall and not have it affecting things.
See Start-Run-msconfig-startup for stuff not needed to start with Windows, and suspicions of spyware.
You also need ZoneAlarm firewall.
You might have to uninstall-reinstall Power DVD. AFTER cleanup.

Collapse -
Is Windows 98se still a viable operating system?
by Bob__B / January 24, 2006 4:38 AM PST

I'd say yes.

Based upon what I have read XP has some nice features (if you can use them) but it seems you might trade off on the security side, unless you ride herd on the thing.

AOL. I've never used the product.
Some folks may love it some folks may hate it.
From what I've read it can be kind of a stinker to extract from the machine.

Do a search for "remove aol", see if you get some clues.

W98 runs quite well, this machine runs it, the trick is keep all the crud-ware off and put the number of running progs on a diet.

W98 has a small problem with the resouce thingy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?