Computer Help forum

General discussion

Is Windows 98 SE still viable as a basic operating system

I recently purchased a new HP Presario with 512 RAM and gave my 98 Presario to my 5 year old granddaughter who is entering Kindergarten. Naturally it had to have an ISP, Spyware, Anti-virus, Firewall, and of course for a kid, a good DVD-Rom. I bumped the Ram to 128 and it is so slow its almost impossible to wait out. My question is how to stop some of the programs from booting up on the 98SE operating system? Some people have told me that AOL Spyware protection is causing the problem, others have said its Cyberlink Power DVD, (how do you get them to answer an e-mail) and still others I don't yet have enough RAM? Help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Windows 98 SE still viable as a basic operating system
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Windows 98 SE still viable as a basic operating system
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes, still good!!!!!

In reply to: Is Windows 98 SE still viable as a basic operating system

And a lot less problem than XP. I know it isn't PowerDVD,
I have never had a problem with it on any OS. I ran 98se until recently, even had it on a old, old, old laptop ( Pentium 150 Mhz, 80 Mb ram) and it ran fine, and not that slow. Used Sygate firewall, AVG anti-virus, Spybot S&D, and Adaware. I would guess AOL is the problem, it is very intrusive. The only thing an AOL disc is good for to most people is to hang in the garden to scare birds.
chuck

Collapse -
To speed it up...

Windows 98SE is still a valid option when choosing an operating system, and so are the computers manufactured back then. However, it does lack a lot of features and the hardware will not perform at today's level.

For an older computer like that, 128MB is fine, though if the hardware accepts 256MB is would help. (512MB is the max it can handle before the performance actually starts to decrease.)

* I've never liked AOL, having numerous problems with their software and service, but the spyware protection shouldn't be the cause of this problem. (You could always disable it and see if it gets better if you want.)

* Cyberlink Power DVD should not be a problem either...playing DVDs can tax the system a little, but the program itself is not an issue.

* I'd recommend clicking here for a tip from Grif (a fellow moderator) on how to shut down unnecessary startup programs, which are the usual cause for slowdowns.

* To clean out junk files from your computer, click here to download the free program CCleaner. After running that, make sure you defragment your hard drive to keep all of the files in order. (When files are saved they are broken into chuncks in order to fit in the space remaining. However, this can cause problems because your computer must then search the entire hard drive for all the pieces.)

* Finally, make sure you run a weekly virus and spyware scan to ensure you're clean of unwanted pests.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Dennis, Eliminate Unnecessary Background Stuff

Yes, more RAM will help (Try to get it at 256MB if you can), but some of those old machines had slow processors. You can't do much about that. I've still got a 366 MHZ Windows 98 machine that works fine BUT it is a little slow..

Follow the procedures in the links below to eliminate unnecessary start up programs which use up resources and clean out the junk files on the computer.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Hoope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.