Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Is Windows 7 difficult?

by user470 / March 16, 2009 4:04 AM PDT

Does anyone know whether Windows 7 will be closer in operation to Windows Vista or Windows XP? I still have Windows XP because I thought Windows Vista would be a whole new learning experience for me and I did not want to undertake all that new learning. Thank you. user470

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Windows 7 difficult?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Windows 7 difficult?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nearly identical to Windows Vista...
by John.Wilkinson / March 16, 2009 4:17 AM PDT

Windows Vista was a large overhaul of Windows XP, while Windows 7 is a smaller upgrade of Windows Vista. The entire interface, organization, etc. is nearly identical to Windows Vista while software/hardware compatibility is nearly an exact match as well. Windows 7, and future versions, will resemble Windows Vista, not Windows XP, so unless you intend on sticking with Windows XP (some are) it is a learning phase you will have to undertake.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
"Nearly identical to Windows Vista... "
by wegiekatt / March 24, 2009 1:59 AM PDT

Hi, John, I just wanted to comment on your statement that "some are" still using XP, a small detail I know, but worthy of comment, I think. Although I know that there must be plenty of people out there using Vista, and I DO have Vista myself in my cd holder, but I personally don't know anyone who is using anything but XP!!! Many of my friends installed Vista, tried it out for several months, and then went back to XP!!. I spend all day long talking to many people on various and sundry lists, and this is what I have found to be the case.

Collapse -
uhm..
by FrankQC / March 24, 2009 2:08 AM PDT

He's talking about some people sticking to XP rather than going for Windows 7.

Seeing as how it's a thread on Windows 7 being hard to learn, that's what I interpreted anyways.

Collapse -
by wegiekatt / March 24, 2009 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: uhm..

Yes, you are right!:-) I guess I was just trying to say that I don't know anybody who has advanced further BY CHOICE on anything past XP!! I LOVE it myself!! <G>

Collapse -
Haha yeah
by FrankQC / March 24, 2009 3:06 AM PDT

Vista isn't all THAT bad. It's not as bad as what people portray it to be. I've been using it for more than a year now and after I fixed all the bugs it's a pretty reliable system.

I compare my experience with XP and Vista and in my opinion XP was far worst than Vista. I had more problems with XP than Vista. XP had regular occurances of the bluescreen, Vista has some but far less than Vista.

That's just from my experience, though. Don't bash on me saying I'm wrong with XP being worst than Vista haha. I will, though, admit that Vista is a bad operating system if you have a computer with low specifications.

Collapse -
by wegiekatt / March 24, 2009 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Haha yeah

HEHE...........no, I am not going to bash on you!! <G> Perhaps I should have given it longer, I don't know!!! Maybe I just don't like change!! LOL But even my ex-husband, an IT guy, installed it, and used it for like a year, and then said it wasn't worth it, that XP had everything he needed without the problems. I guess we all have different views!! LOL

Collapse -
Views, yea.
by FrankQC / March 24, 2009 3:21 AM PDT

It also depends what you use it for, too. If it's something that requires a lot of resources then Vista isn't good haha. Seeing as how it hogs everything.

Collapse -
Is Windows 7 difficult?
by RonS [WINDOWS-TEAM] / March 17, 2009 4:19 AM PDT

Hi user470,

It?s probably easiest if you think of each different version of the Windows OS as a step. The step from Windows XP to Windows Vista was one step, but it was a significant step as far as UI and interactivity. Windows Vista, even in its current state, is still operating at the leading edge of OS design and function.

Now, if you think of Windows 7 as the next logical step in this progression, it?s easy to see that it will definitely be a different experience than Windows XP. That being said, the Windows OS hasn?t made gigantic changes that affect the very core of the computing experience. You can bet that the keyboard shortcuts, base-level operations and such will all be there ? you?re not going to be left in the dark.

Here?s a link to the new features in Windows 7, just in case you wanted to check them out: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/whats-new.aspx

Cheers,
Ron
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Personal opinion
by FrankQC / March 18, 2009 12:01 AM PDT

Well, ok. In my opinion Windows 7 is more like Vista than XP. They both look relatively the same (except for the start bar and some options).

It took me 1 day to get used to the new interface in Vista and I'll be honest -- it looks, feels, and works faster and better than XP (taking into account your computer has the recommended specifications to run Vista).

So is Windows 7 hard? No. It's just learning how to access the directories and getting used to the GUI.

Collapse -
More like Vista than like XP.........BUT!
by john3347 / March 21, 2009 2:53 AM PDT

I have been experimenting with Windows 7 since the beta 1 was made available to the general public in mid-January. Probably it would be easier for someone to transition from Vista to 7 than directly to 7 from XP. The look and feel of 7 is much like Vista, while at least almost every change from Vista to 7 is an improvement in either "user experience" or in performance, or both. Personally, I am not an XP "fanboy" myself and own one Vista computer which I despise. I prefer the simple business like feel of Windows 2000 that is now so old that application software is generally no longer available. XP took a big step away from that UI and Vista took an additional huge leap further. Windows 7, while moving toward usefulness rather than "glow and glitter", needs to take a bigger step that direction.

Windows 7 offers a huge performance improvement over Vista, and probably an improvement over XP while still not offering the user friendly and intuitive interface of Windows 2000.

To answer the actual question posed here; Windows 7 is closer to Vista in look and feel than to XP, but more intuitive than Vista. This improved intuitiveness probably would make the transition from XP to Windows 7 a better experience than a transition from XP to Vista. In my opinion, you did yourself a favor by avoiding Vista.

Collapse -
(NT) Agreed.
by FrankQC / March 21, 2009 2:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
Vista with more bells and whistles
by Dango517 / March 21, 2009 4:24 AM PDT

I've heard it said Vista was the meat and potatoes course and Windows 7 is the dessert.

Hey, but where's the eye candy! The only thing I miss about XP is all the free themes, sounds, colored and textured folders, icons and the other OS enhancements. I certainly hope these return with Windows 7. These are still very few for Windows Vista. About all one can do is change wallpapers in Vista. (I've removed nearly all the Aeros stuff to free up Graphics Card resource for other programs.) Vista's too corporate looking for me. This PC's in my home, it belongs to me and I want it to reflect my personality and taste not Microsoft's. I want to feel comfortable with what I'm looking at not wonder if I should put on a suit and tie. Wonder if I could I put a time clock Icon on my desktop? I'd better fire off a memo to the boss (MS) first, just to be on the safe side. Happy

Yep, I could revert to the classic look found in XP but that's not better, it's worse in fact.

This thread untracked

Collapse -
I have it tracked.
by FrankQC / March 21, 2009 4:36 AM PDT

Heh Vista isn't bad at customization. If you -need- customization you might as well go with Linux haha.

With Windows I don't care if it's not customizable as long as it works.

Especially now with Windows 7 coming up... It's time for Microsoft to step up and make a stable operating system. Yes, it looks like a Linux rip-off, but as long as it works then that's really all that matters.

Usability first, then visual enhancements later. Silly

Collapse -
There are tons of free enhancements for Windows Vista...
by John.Wilkinson / March 21, 2009 4:48 AM PDT

All you have to do is patch three system files and then download one of hundreds of Windows Vista themes/styles from sites such as WinCustomize and DeviantArt. And any sound file, folder icon, file icon, etc. that worked with Windows XP works with Windows Vista. It is all discussed in the Windows Vista forum sticky.

John

Collapse -
Dango517, You will love Windows 7
by john3347 / March 21, 2009 4:53 AM PDT

If you want to customize your User Interface, you will be excited with Windows 7. It has all the nonsense "fluff and puff" that the youngsters like about Vista, but it also has considerable customization options. Like Vista, many features in Windows 7 are quite hidden and, although difficult to find, well worth the search. I really do not understand your complaint that Vista is "too corporate looking" because Vista is so not-corporate looking that it scares many potential business customers away. Vista does have the ability to convert to a "corporate looking" classic interface. Part of that classic interface has been eliminated from Windows 7 at this point in the development. (maybe the "classic start menu" voices will be heard and the classic start menu will return with the final version.)

Collapse -
Bells and Whistles = Taste??
by Jelly Baby / March 21, 2009 9:10 PM PDT

"Hey, but where's the eye candy! The only thing I miss about XP is all the free themes, sounds, colored and textured folders, icons and the other OS enhancements.......This PC's in my home, it belongs to me and I want it to reflect my personality and taste..."

Or complete lack of the latter?

LOL

Collapse -
Not diffucult
by prince10bee / March 22, 2009 12:18 AM PDT

Operation of Windows Vista is not difficult @ all if you are familiar with Windows XP. In fact... its somewhat easier.

Collapse -
Yea
by FrankQC / March 22, 2009 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Not diffucult

Especially with that search in the start menu. It saves so much time.

Collapse -
Go for it!!!
by RealBigSwede / March 24, 2009 4:11 AM PDT

I have used all windows from the beginning, I started with MP-80 in 1983. and I love the Win7 it is faster then Vista AND XP. I pay many games and On XP I got 120-150 fps in Vista 80-100 BUT in 7 I got 150-200!! Some time even faster and the Office 2007 is faster too.
Yes it is the same rigs. So far I have only one problem.. I would recomend the to anyone.
I say to you Install it and feel the POWER!! I like to say That with this OS I think MS finaly getting it right.

Collapse -
It's a great improvement-
by morrie 52 / March 28, 2009 1:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Go for it!!!

-Over Vista.I am at present using Win 7 on a 4+ year computer that ran the Vista trials woefully,but having no problems virtually nil responders,quicker doing everything than XP,and simpler to use.To any one even thinking of buying a new computer,wait till it comes out,Autumn?,a definite must buy.

Collapse -
You raised a good point
by FrankQC / March 28, 2009 2:09 AM PDT
am at present using Win 7 on a 4+ year computer that ran the Vista trials woefully ... To any one even thinking of buying a new computer,wait till it comes out

When Windows 7 comes out there will be no definite reason to own a laptop or desktop that has more than 2 gigs of RAM. That is, of course, if you do resource demanding tasks (i.e. gaming, etc). If you are just a casual user of a computer (i.e. browsing, msn, etc), then 2GB of RAM through Windows 7 will allow you to do a LOT of tasks.

You won't even need to buy a new, more powerful computer to run it (such as Vista's requirements). You'll be able to take that computer in your closet that you haven't used in a few years and put it to good use again.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!