The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Is vista worth it?

by tleisher / June 15, 2007 4:55 PM PDT

Is Vista worth it at this point?

I really want to get Halo 2 Vista, and Shadowrun PC but both of them require Vista... but if the OS is still really buggy, insecure, etc. Then Ill just wait until it gets better to get the games.

Also, if it is worth it, what version should I get? Basic, Premium, Business? >_< To many choices.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is vista worth it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is vista worth it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dunno
by Nicholas Buenk / June 15, 2007 8:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Is vista worth it?

But you don't want Basic it lacks the aero interface.

Collapse -
hm..
by mincor3456 / June 15, 2007 10:39 PM PDT

its pwetty...

Collapse -
I think so
by Alegoo92 / June 16, 2007 12:30 AM PDT

It's so pretty! Ya know....?

Personally I enjoyed using Vista. The UI is very nice and the Media Center is even nicer. And if you want to play games that require Vista; go for it.

Alex

Collapse -
In a new machine definitely in a upgrade maybe
by nutjob / June 16, 2007 1:50 AM PDT

Vista is really pretty decent and is just s secure as XP. I let people know that Vista demands are really high, I think for playing games and serious work you need 2GB Ram. I recommend you get Premium (but make sure all components can run on the machine) it is more secure and flexible. Business was overkill for me.

If your machine is over 18 months old or only have 1GB of ram, skip Vista you will not enjoy those games to the fullest. IMHO

Collapse -
Is there a compatiblity problem with iTunes & iPods?
by merrybrown / June 18, 2007 3:09 AM PDT

I had heard it had issues with both. I am actually holding off on purchasing a new one until I hear it's all worked out.

Collapse -
not anymore...
by kcoppock / June 18, 2007 3:13 AM PDT

iTunes 7.2 is the most recent release, and it claims to be fully compatible with Windows Vista. So far, from using it I'd say they're right, I haven't had any issues since the latest update, I have an iPod nano 4 GB second generation if that helps.

Collapse -
Laptop I purchased came with Ultimate..
by kwahhn / June 16, 2007 2:57 AM PDT

and so far it has been ok. Nothing to write home about.

Collapse -
If you're already upgrading, sure
by Ron-Mexico / June 16, 2007 6:02 AM PDT

I just had to swap out a dying motherboard on one of my main desktops at home. I figured I might as well upgrade to Vista while I was rebuilding the system. If I didn't have to swap out this core component, I probably wouldn't have felt any really need to do so just yet. XP gets along just fine, but since it's mid-2007 and I was starting over from scratch I figured I might as well get current. And so far I'm really liking it.

Driver compatibility has been the biggest knock on it and I was a bit concerned at first. Most of the hardware in this particular system is 2-3 years old. Microsoft takes almost all of the heat for the driver problems, but most of the time the problems actually seem to reside with the hardware/software manufacturers. Definitely check to make sure your hardware is compatible (and if you're updating an existing machine I'd go ahead and download a copy to CD of all the latest drivers before you begin your install just in case you need them.) The only driver issue I ran into was with my motherboard's built-in LAN connection. It actually worked just fine, it simply had a driver issue that Nvidia hasn't fixed yet which killed my LAN connection whenever my computer woke up from its sleep state. I used a PCI LAN card that had better (and ironically much older, non-Vista) drivers and that solved that problem.

Other than that, it's been perfect thus far. The interface is obviously very nice and the stability/speed is great. The OS does have a bit more overhead. It's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting though. This particular system has 1GB of RAM and an old Radeon 9600Pro (on the bottom rung of DirectX9 cards) and it's doing just fine. If I were gaming on Vista though, I would put in 2GB (of course I'd do the same on an XP box too.)

The only thing I'd like to see improved (and this will come with time) is the selection of Sidebar gadgets. The built-in widgets are well-done, but you can tell the Sidebar gadget community is still in its infancy as most of the current community-built widgets aren't up to par yet with community-built offerings from Mac Dashboard or Yahoo/Konfabulator. But both of those communities have been around for a lot longer too so that's to be expected.

Unless you really need Remote Desktop access, I'd just opt for the Home Premium version.

Collapse -
Is vista worth it?
by wizkids32 / June 16, 2007 6:48 AM PDT

Unless you are planing to buy a new computer wait until they come out with a service pack 1 because not much with your older computer is not compatible with every thing Vista and right don't get the BASIC because that is the dumbest up grade. I would wait until a SP1 comes out then I would go ahead and get vista.

Collapse -
my personal experience with Visita.
by Kokoro-Kun / June 16, 2007 12:30 PM PDT

I've been a lifetime Windows user. and I just received my Vista Home Prem laptop (Dell xps M1210) yesterday, and here's my experience.

The Good:

*it looks nice, I understand there's always a learning curve with every new OS, so I'm giving it time. but my IE is constantly crashing. (of course, I'm a Firefox user, so I don't really care that much).

*Sidebar is a nice touch, I know it's not new to Mac users, but to me, it's sweet.

The Bad:

*It won't let me manage my own CPU run-speed via third party program.

*it asks me to confirm everything I do, it gets annoying very quickly.

* inside of "My Computer" layout is not as intuitive as before, I happen to like the old one a lot more.

*it's KILLING my battery, the bloody Vista sucks energy so much.

and my biggest complain, and yes, it has to do with Gaming..

I have a 2GB ram laptop with GeForce 74000 256MB ram video card. I bought Devil May Cry 3 for PC the other day. Fully expect to be able to play on it (my laptop is WAY above the requirement stated on the game)

install went smoothly, menu page went smoothly, 3 seconds into game, lags, not just normally lags, the screen freezes for 2 minutes while the in game music plays. and then it crashed.

tried 4 times, same issue, now I'm calling Dell.

If I can't even play a 2-3 years old game like DMC, why should I even hope to play any recent games like WoW or Halo2?

Collapse -
I was in charge of buying a laptop...
by davviau / June 16, 2007 2:21 PM PDT

...for my mother in law's flower business. I didn't think she needed anything too impressive. It came with Vista basic. Although it's not as loaded as Premium or higher it still looks quite nice. I was quite impressed. It just looks like a skin on XP but it looks good.

I personally suggest Premium to anyone that wants to do a bit more than just put photos on the pc and run a business app.

Other than that Basic was actually quite impressive.

David

Collapse -
only with a fairly high-end computer...
by kcoppock / June 18, 2007 2:44 AM PDT

I ended up with a copy of Vista Business edition through Microsoft's power together program, and first installed it on a separate partition and kept XP. I haven't gone back to XP since, however, Vista just works for me fine, I have no driver issues, or really any, other than the iTunes issues before they issued the latest release.

However, when I first installed Vista, I only had 1 GB of RAM in my PC, and my computer would frequently lock up and get overwhelmed when trying to run both iTunes and Photoshop at the same time, due to it using too much memory (Vista itself was using between 45-55% of memory consistently with no programs open). I upgraded to 3 GB of RAM later (only cost $75) and now I run InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Bridge, and iTunes all at the same time with no slowdown, and only about 60% memory usage.

The things I thing Vista is worth it for are, well first of all the new search engine. It works PERFECTLY. The interface is much nicer looking than XP ever did, and the organization features in explorer are perfect for photos, music, and honestly just about anything.

Unfortunately as far as gaming though, I can't really say much, as I don't have a good graphics card, and I don't game on this PC at all. I have however, had to work on a laptop that a person had purchased with Vista, with an external graphics card (I think it was the GeForce GO 7600) and 1 GB RAM, and when running games such as Combat Flight Simulator 3 and Flight Simulator 2004, there was noticeable lag and slowdown. Eventually what we ended up doing was reformatting the PC and installing XP, and the games ran noticeably better. So it does seem like there are issues with gaming in Vista, but the low amount of RAM could have been part of the problem.

(My specs:
Intel Pentium D 840 3.2 GHz dualcore
3 GB DDR2 667 MHz RAM
160 GB SATA HDD (w/Vista Business)
120 GB SATA HDD (w/XP)
Nvidia GeForce 6200 LE)

Collapse -
Well...
by fbbbb / June 18, 2007 4:37 AM PDT

I think you might have the most issues with higher-end gaming hardware, but thankfully the incidents of this are way down, especially over the last month.

I had no end of minor issues with the 8800GTX for example until *very* recently. They're rock-solid on both my my Dell XPS 710 H2C's (running XP), but I've built a couple of Vista'd PC's using 8800GTX's and they have given me irritating issues I don't get under XP, being fully (I think) cured only recently. Dell, etc seemed to agree... they've only very recently started offering Vista versions of the XPS H2C hardware. Similarly it's only very recently that Creative have come out with anywhere near acceptable drivers for the X-Fi.

So I'd do research before you buy, but from now on should be a fairly trouble-free Vista experience. I think it's worth the upgrade. There are a whole host of new features in it which if intelligently used can make your machine more secure, more efficient and more entertaining than on XP and you can enjoy those benefits right now. I would personally go no lower than Home Premium, but all my Vista machines have either Business (for laptops) or Ultimate (for desktops).

Collapse -
Gaming on Vista
by Ron-Mexico / June 18, 2007 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

One article I saw that came across on one of my feeds the other day though talked about how weak Nvidia has apparently been with their driver support for Vista thus far. HardOCP just did a new review on gaming in Vista that covered gaming with ATI cards. They also revisited an earlier review of gaming in Vista with Nvidia cards by using the latest Nvidia drivers. You can follow the link below for more details, but basically it shows that the ATI cards seemed to have better drivers resulting in Vista performance nearly on par with XP whereas the gap between XP and Vista on the Nvidia card was much more pronounced.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM0NywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

My gaming PC is still on XP at the moment, but I'm liking Vista enough on our non-gaming PC that I'm probably going to upgrade my gaming box sometime in the relatively near future. I'm sure the driver support will continue to mature and improve just as it did with XP. We saw a lot of the same complaints on gaming with XP vs 98 when XP first came out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?