Computer Help forum

General discussion

Is Vista Realiable?

by gmccbi / March 2, 2007 9:57 AM PST

I have been custom building computers for over 23 years till I retired. Note: I still perform these duties but in limited fashion.

My main question is this...Is VISTA reliable and bug free.

In the past years I always considered two (2) questions when recommending/installing an operating system for a computer. First, who is the manufacturer and, second, how long has the os been on the open market in retail form - not ugrade form.

In the past, if the manufacturer was Microsoft and the os has been on the retail market for less than a year, I refused to install the new operating system. This procedure usually led to my customer having a much more reliable computer. When the new OS finally became reliable - when Microsoft finally got a majority of the bugs worked out, then I would reload the customer's computer with the new OS...at no additioinal charge.

Usually, in my experience, it takes Microsoft about 1 year to get enough patches developed and available so that the operating system would work reasonable well. Now, with Microsoft's unofficial announcement, that they are not performaning beta testing themselves any longer, I will have to assume that the wait time will probably be longer.

So far, I have not read of anyone addressing this issue...The reliability of Microsoft to release a RELIABLE and stable new operating system.

Any comments?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Vista Realiable?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Vista Realiable?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Vista??? Reliable???
by mrdood_99205 / March 2, 2007 9:40 PM PST
In reply to: Is Vista Realiable?

I have tried the beta and RC-1 5600, and neither of which is totally reliable. Major hardware and software compatabilty issues(lots). However, I must digress to say it is a very stable platform with very user friendly interface and excellent graphics. In short; "A WHITE ELEPHANT". The con's are very significant, and my advice to the novice user would be wait 6mo.'s- 1 year before considering an upgrade. If your hard drive is close to full, and you do not have a back-up HD do not consider it without first upgrading your hardware.
THE MIN. SYS. REQ.'s will not let you function at a normal level. Even with dual core and 4gb I have found it to be slower than XP, or XP x64. Vista Ultimate will require nearly 10Gb free space on your HD. The load is 750Mb RAM with 525mb page file usage. Unless you purchase a NEW computer with Vista pre-installed, or are an experienced USER I would reccommend against it.

Collapse -
Vista reliability
by gebhuxley / March 3, 2007 11:42 PM PST
In reply to: Vista??? Reliable???

I have Vista Ultimate RC2 Evaluation Copy Build 5744 which I installed over XP Pro. I find the OS extremely good and trouble free.
Most of my software is OK but it doesn't like my Canon Scanner (no drivers) nor my Olympus Camedia programme. Vista allows perfect downloading from my Digital Camera(Olympus)into its own 'My Pictures' files, which I can tranfer them to Camedia if I wish.
My AVG 7.5 works as well as Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spyware Doctor which were all installed before my upgrade.
My BT Voyager broadband modem gives no trouble although I get far faster downloads using ethernet connection rather than wireless.
I would not go back to XP even if I could!

Collapse -
I think Vista is reliable
by knight2448 / March 16, 2007 3:33 PM PDT

I think Vista is reliable I have basically been using vista since the rc-2 came out last year. I bought vista home premium as soon as it cam out in January. I wanted ultimate but it was sold out. I have not had any issues with it so far. The operating system installs alot faster than any version of windows I have ever installed. I have built 5 computers over the course of the last 15 years. I think Microsoft has finally got it together. I have been using windows since 3.11 came out in the early 90's I have never seen a better program. The only problem is the lack of drivers for printers. I als have no software for my tv tuner to work. Other than that very stable operating system, user inteface is a little tricky to get used to.

I hope this helps.

Collapse -
Vista...how's the view?
by micaman / March 25, 2007 9:46 AM PDT

As a fellow system designer, I really like the Vista operating system, and think it is worth every penny!

I will have to admit that Vista DEMANDS a lot of system resources, so you must design a system "around" Vista and not try to 'squeeze' Vista into XP's technology.

Vista fresh and new, NOT a mear upgrade to XP, which is what we are use to from Microsoft. Vista is a totally new way of thinking for redmond-row (microsoft), and it will require you to do the same. Once you understand Vista, which is as easy to learn as XP, you will fall in love with it's look and feel. You will be able to write software for Vista much easier and create a "custom" OEM PC much faster.

I would not, as a smaller custom builder myself, offer low end Vista machines. I think you would be quite unhappy with the results. Keep it as a mddle-to-high-end product that is offered next to XP and things should be well for you.

Vista is a stepping stone to the technology of tomorrow, and most all will want to embrace it at some point. The question is...when!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?