Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Is VISTA a COPY OF MAC X??!

by mp3_kid / January 31, 2007 7:05 AM PST

I have heard rumours and seen videos that show that Windows Vista is just a copy of mac 10. Is this true?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is VISTA a COPY OF MAC X??!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is VISTA a COPY OF MAC X??!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pfffff.... Hogwash...
by whizkid454 / January 31, 2007 7:10 AM PST

yeah right... Windows won't copy Apple and Apple won't copy Windows.

Collapse -
youre probably right, but...
by mp3_kid / January 31, 2007 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: Pfffff.... Hogwash...
Collapse -
See Paul Thurrott's site...
by John.Wilkinson / January 31, 2007 11:23 AM PST

I would suggest visiting Paul Thurrott's winsupersite.com and search for an article from a couple months ago discussing the similarities between Vista and Mac OS X. He did a fairly comprehensive rundown of the key features, some of which Apple took from Microsoft and some Microsoft took from Apple. The bottom line is that one person is always going to have a unique idea and others will want to copy or modify it to their liking. Neither is perfect, but they both make eachother better though competition and innovation. Thus, while I don't care for Macs I am certainly glad Apple keeps churning out new versions of their OS.

John

Collapse -
Krapple gets credit for jack $h1t
by vista champ / February 1, 2007 11:07 AM PST

Unlike Jaguar, this kernel has been in the works for nearly 6 years. Anyone on the Longhorn Alpha can tell you it has progressed, but remains essentially the same. It is secure as hell (unless the USER tampers with it). MS didn't steal ANYTHING from Mac. As a matter of fact, they make fun of Crapple by calling their temp install file "Jaguar" prior to Jaguar's release. If anything, CONCEPTS (not programs or COM's) were taken from excellent programs like Window Blinds, Picasa, Norton Ghost, etc... They took great ideas and rolled them up into SE versions. Good job MS. Jobs gets credit for jack $h1t. That's my 2 cents.

Collapse -
I agree, but....
by whizkid454 / February 3, 2007 11:44 PM PST

Windows DID NOT copy off of OS X for a few reasons. If Vista was under construction since the release of XP(2001) and Tiger was started after Panther(2003), that would make Tiger the culprit of stealing some of the ideas from Vista while it was in it's development stages. Vista had a 2 year head start. Just because Apple can crank out new OS versions every year, that shouldn't give them credit for what's in them.

Think of it as a race and two people are racing each other. The one who leaves first and gets ahead gives the person who is behind the opportunity to see the leader's weak spots( or in this case developments). The person who is behind will do what the person ahead is doing to get them ahead (i.e. "steal" ideas). Same case with OS X in which they were "behind".

So all of this "copying" business needs to stop because it isn't true.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.