Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is Tsunami aid a contest?

by C1ay / January 5, 2005 1:33 AM PST

It seems just a little uncharitable to me to keep score on who's being the most charitable. Isn't it supposed to be the thought that counts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is Tsunami aid a contest?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is Tsunami aid a contest?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
France (66) leading the way, along with generous places
by Kiddpeat / January 5, 2005 1:54 AM PST

like Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. Still, a lot of US help is coming from private sources which are presumably not in the numbers.

It seems like some of these countries should be helping us pay the fuel and wages for all the hardware and services being used by the US in the rescue.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i would think so maybe the UN will pay it:)
by Mark5019 / January 5, 2005 2:10 AM PST
Collapse -
It is supposed to be the thought, but,
by JP Bill / January 5, 2005 3:31 AM PST

I heard a couple of people on tv make the statement.

Doing the right thing does not always bring the political benefits.

IMHO Political benefits should not be involved in the equation.

But I have no doubts that politics and maybe even religion are involved.

Collapse -
A fantastic show of generosity but
by SteveGargini / January 5, 2005 4:36 AM PST

What safeguards are in place to make sure the money doesn't go to the terrorists.
Millions of pounds have been ushered away to buy weapons before, how will that be prevented.
I must add that I would be overjoyed to see the generosity go to helping these poor people to rebuild their lives, but I am holding my breath on this one.

Collapse -
I think it is disgusting ...
by Evie / January 5, 2005 6:17 AM PST

... but apparently that UN Jan Egeland is quite proud of himself thinking that the "stingy" comment has countries tripping over each other trying to be BMOC.

What is even more sad is that these figures only include what governments are giving, and there is no inclusion for private contributions of citizens and corporations from various countries. I heard on the radio that private contributions from Americans have eclipsed the monetary pledge by the government ... there was almost a caveat that this was a bad thing in that report Sad

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Even so, Evie...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 5, 2005 11:49 AM PST
Collapse -
yes dave and as were useing
by Mark5019 / January 5, 2005 12:25 PM PST
In reply to: Even so, Evie...

our equipment seems bout fair

where the oil countrys sending money?

Collapse -
Oil countrys...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / January 5, 2005 9:19 PM PST

Norway is sending $181.90 million. Taking into account that they are a very small country (about 1.5% of the US population) it's a rather big sum...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Should be countries....
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / January 5, 2005 9:20 PM PST
In reply to: Oil countrys...
Collapse -
well good for them
by Mark5019 / January 6, 2005 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: Oil countrys...

and were using our copters our salt water dezalinizers over there plus much much more.

and just saudia arabi donates 30 mill wow guess they cant aford more huh charlie

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shared-gen/ap/Asia/Tsunami_Governments_Aid.html

A look at major governmental pledges ? including loans and grants ? for victims of the earthquake and tsunami. The World Bank and the Asian Bank of Development also pledged $575 million combined, bringing the total to about $4 billion.

AUSTRALIA ? $810 million.

GERMANY ? $674 million.

JAPAN ? $500 million.

UNITED STATES ? $350 million.

NORWAY ? $183 million.

FRANCE ? $103 million.

BRITAIN ? $95 million.

DENMARK ? $76 million.

SWEDEN ? $75.5 million.

SPAIN ? $68 million.

CANADA ? $67 million.

CHINA ? $60 million.

SOUTH KOREA ? $50 million.

TAIWAN ? $50 million.

EUROPEAN UNION ? $40 million.

NETHERLANDS ? $32 million.

SAUDI ARABIA ? $30 million.

INDIA ? $25 million.

SWITZERLAND ? $23.5 million.

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES ? $20 million.

FINLAND ? $16 million.

KUWAIT ? $10 million.

QATAR ? $10 million.

___

Collapse -
Feel free to criticize Saudi!
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / January 6, 2005 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: well good for them

I am the first one who says that most of the Kingdoms in the Arab part of the world are rotten societies (not because of the religion though, but because of the economic system which reminds me of feudalism more than anything else) and they're also heavily capitalist societies and usually have good relations with the USA...
Maybe it is time for you to talk to your own president about cutting the ties to Saudi and the UAE...
Or would that hurt Texaco too much?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) charles get a new tune
by Mark5019 / January 6, 2005 3:31 AM PST
Collapse -
The tone of that article ...
by Evie / January 5, 2005 9:31 PM PST

... is exactly what is getting quite distasteful about this whole thing. Why aren't the private contributions of Americans and American companies added to the total US contribution?? How about those C130's that were there ASAP, and how come any of our military contribution is conveniently ignored in the tally? The US is making considerable "non monetary" contributions by sending that carrier out there, etc.

Kudos to the Austrailians. Now pony up you Arab princes!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) saudia gave 30 mill lol
by Mark5019 / January 6, 2005 2:44 AM PST
Collapse -
For gosh sakes! The dollar amount is NOT all!
by Angeline Booher / January 6, 2005 5:27 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thank you for pointing that out to dave
by Mark5019 / January 6, 2005 5:37 AM PST
Collapse -
Dollar amount is what matters to the UN.
by James Denison / January 6, 2005 2:30 PM PST

They want all that money funneled through them. So much goes in, so much less comes out, what happens to the missing part is "administrative" and certain UN officials get quite rich in a salaried job.

The UN isn't happy with relief efforts that they don't have their hands on. It's that simple.

Collapse -
It's more than just giving money to the victims...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / January 6, 2005 2:44 PM PST

James,

While I understand you perfectly, I also have to disagree with you.

I've been volunteering for a lot of NGO's and I know what it is like. Organizations need a lot of things in order to be able to help. One of the simple things is paper! Just plain paper for printers. Or a computer in order to organize it. Syringes in order to give people vaccine. Money to put up an emergency office/tent at the local place in order to organize the work...
There are a lot of needs and they all cost money. Every cent can't possibly go directly to the victims, even if that is the most desirable outcome! There is an organization behind the work and that costs money too. Without that organization it is impossible to do anything. If we give money to the organization, they will be able to send out volunteers to help out. And that goes for the UN too. They have plenty of volunteers working for them, but in order to just recruit them, they need money...

Collapse -
yes charlie the un needs
by Mark5019 / January 7, 2005 12:05 AM PST

just like the oil for food, wheres the money charley.

america cares is a charity thats helping they keep .10 out of every dollar the rest goes to the victims.

you un is a corrupted piece of garbage.

Collapse -
Please show us some proof...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / January 7, 2005 2:05 AM PST

of the corruption that is going on in the UN. Since it is illegal, you may as well want to file the authorities about this...

Collapse -
re
by Mark5019 / January 7, 2005 3:22 AM PST

charlie its been on the news and not new the head of the un as well as the un is corupted.

Collapse -
well heres just a few hits useing google
by Mark5019 / January 7, 2005 3:43 AM PST
http://washingtontimes.com/world/20050107-125919-3038r.htm

> Home > Middle East News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aziz denies Iraq?s role in UN oil-for-food scandal
12/24/2004 12:00:00 PM GMT

Kofi Annan is facing pressure over the alleged corruption in the UN oil-for-food program.

Saddam Hussein's deputy prime minister, Tareq Aziz, denied that Iraq used the UN oil-for-food program to make billions of dollars, his defense lawyer said on Friday.

Badih Aref said that Aziz told him that he wouldn?t provide evidence on corruption allegations at the United Nations.

"We used to offer assistance to parties, institutions and states that stood by Iraq. We helped them via the United Nations because the oil-for-food program was a legitimate program supervised by the UN,? Aref cited Aziz as saying.

"This cannot be considered bribery because it was our right to sell oil to those who wanted it and we could not affect the price at all, as it was set by the United Nations itself." Aziz added.

The Unit
Collapse -
A slightly different note, on giving private donations
by Roger NC / January 6, 2005 3:53 AM PST

Don't forget to check at your employers. Many companies offer matching funds (at least up to a set limit) to contributions of their employees.

If I have it right, my employer (corporation not local branch) has pledged $100K themselves and up to $100K in matching funds to gifts by their employees when do through channels.

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Governmental donations (money wise) per capita.
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / January 6, 2005 11:33 AM PST

Unfortunately the only link I have is to a Swedish newspaper, but somebody can probably link to a site in English. These are the numbers (U$ Dollars) per capita:

Australia 41
Germany 8,2
Japan 3,9
USA 2,7
Norway 39,5
U.K 1,6
Italy 1,6
Sweden 8,9
Canada 2,5
Denmark 14,2
Spain 1,65
France 1,1
China 0,006
Taiwan 2,2
South Korea 1,04
Netherlands 2,1
Saudi Arabia 1,3
Qatar 41,6

Collapse -
re
by Mark5019 / January 6, 2005 12:02 PM PST

does that count in our eqipment< our troops and

A look at major governmental pledges ? including loans and grants ? for victims of the earthquake and tsunami. The World Bank and the Asian Bank of Development also pledged $575 million combined, bringing the total to about $4 billion.

AUSTRALIA ? $810 million.

GERMANY ? $674 million.

JAPAN ? $500 million.

UNITED STATES ? $350 million.

NORWAY ? $183 million.

FRANCE ? $103 million.

BRITAIN ? $95 million.

DENMARK ? $76 million.

SWEDEN ? $75.5 million.

SPAIN ? $68 million.

CANADA ? $67 million.

CHINA ? $60 million.

SOUTH KOREA ? $50 million.

TAIWAN ? $50 million.

EUROPEAN UNION ? $40 million.

NETHERLANDS ? $32 million.

SAUDI ARABIA ? $30 million.

INDIA ? $25 million.

SWITZERLAND ? $23.5 million.

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES ? $20 million.

FINLAND ? $16 million.

KUWAIT ? $10 million.

QATAR ? $10 million.

___this is whats being donated

Collapse -
What do you mean?
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / January 6, 2005 12:22 PM PST
In reply to: re

I just stated how much each government has donated in money per capita... Any confusions?

Collapse -
Who cares
by C1ay / January 6, 2005 9:30 PM PST
In reply to: What do you mean?

Keeping score in the first place is tacky. Any confusions?

Collapse -
The idea is possible...
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / January 6, 2005 9:53 PM PST

depending on how politically an article is written.

"People are motivated to give by an affinity to a cause, and having greater accountability will increase that affinity."

In any case, I thought the article was encouraging. For the media to give recognition to these countries invites others to join in for "ONE" cause - to help. Apart from any other motivations or reasons, I don't think it matters.

What matters, in my opinion is how the funds are being used. In any case, the individual sum of money displayed from the site does not necessarily in total benefit the victims. Crisis like Tsunami makes few officials financially in cloud nine.

cl

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?