General discussion

Is this worth fixing?

I have a 46-inch Samsung DLP that's six years old. The sharpness of the picture has faded in the past year, which I figure was a signal to replace the bulb. Never did that, but now it has a high-pitched whirrrring sound that, according to what I've read on the web, indicates a faulty color wheel.

By the time I spend a few hundred on parts, and then whatever it would cost for labor, is it worth having this repaired? Or should I bite the bullet and buy something new (and then, what would you recommend)?

Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Is this worth fixing?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is this worth fixing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Is this worth fixing?

stanleyfrank,

There are lots of options, and with the prices of flat-panels today, the repair (depending on the actual diagnosis) may or may not be a comparable amount.

Without diagnosing or having an estimate, it's hard to say. I'll let other forum members jump in.

--HDTech

- Collapse -
Thanks for the response

T'm figuring in the least it'll need a new bulb and a new color wheel. I have no idea what labor rates are, although I was told by one service that there would be an up-front charge of $150 just to get a technician to my house to diagnose it, plus cost of the parts and time to install them.

- Collapse -
DLP repairs

There seem to be a number of guides on the web for DIY replacement of these parts, though the wheel is a bit more complicated than the lamp. Judge for yourself whether it's practical. Looks like the wheels are around $100 and the lamps $150+.

- Collapse -
color wheel

I have replaced my color wheel 2 years ago myself, found a website with pics on exactly how to do this,wasnt real hard. Part was about $100.

CNET Forums

Forum Info