Storage forum

General discussion

Is this possible witht he Drobo - Storage on Two Networks

by zephyrcat / December 21, 2008 1:07 PM PST

I have two different networks for my computers. (The reason is complicated and has to do with online backup and Comcast bandwidth caps.) All of my computers are on one network, except for one Mac that has all my photos and videos. I would like to plug a Drobo in to that Mac for backup purposes and then use the DroboShare to share those files to all the other computers (on a different network) and allow other computers to back up to the Drobo. The connection to the Mac, which is the one on the different network, would be a direct Firewire/USB connection. The various computers are Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Is this possible with a Drobo?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this possible witht he Drobo - Storage on Two Networks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this possible witht he Drobo - Storage on Two Networks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yup. And an example.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2008 9:37 PM PST

Look at servers you access everyday on the internet. You must know that those servers run anything and every operating system you've ever heard of and your Mac, PC access them just fine.

However it's very strange to think about connecting to that drobo across multiple interfaces. What article made you think that works?

In closing. Connect the drobo to droboshare and then to the network. All is well and done.
Bob

Collapse -
Clarification
by zephyrcat / December 22, 2008 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: Yup. And an example.

No article in particular, but it seems logical that it would. Let me explain again what I am looking for:

I would like the Drobo to connect via Firewire or USB to one computer and also connect to my network. The reason is that that one computer has its own router and is not connected to the other computers. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Collapse -
I see where someone might think...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 3:48 AM PST
In reply to: Clarification

"Heh, it has firewire, usb and ethernet. Why should each work at the same time?"

The answer is not what you may want to hear.

Collapse -
So no?
by zephyrcat / December 22, 2008 6:48 AM PST

So the answer is no, then?

Is there any work around? Would some sort of splitter work?

Thanks!

Collapse -
The ethernet network is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 7:06 AM PST
In reply to: So no?

Your splitter. Why not use that?

Collapse -
Another clarification.
by zephyrcat / December 22, 2008 8:02 AM PST

Perhaps I have not been clear. One computer is on a different network from the others.

Collapse -
Then bridge the networks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: Another clarification.

That's just plain old networking. I took it what you wanted to plug into the firewire port at the same time the droboshare was active. That's not something I've seen work and I don't see in the manual such a setup.

Collapse -
I don't see how to do this without a bridge.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 8:46 AM PST

That bridge can be done any number of ways. Since I an not your network architect I can't offer much more than I've done more than a few bridges.

For an example, you could VPN into that other network and then do that backup. Break the VPN and you're back on your LAN.
Bob

Collapse -
Another way
by zephyrcat / December 22, 2008 9:46 AM PST

I was originally hoping to use Firewire, since I thought it would be easier. To be honest, the simpler the setup the better. I consider my self pretty knowledgeable about computers, but when it comes to networking, nothing seems to work for me. Is there any simpler way?

Perhaps I could connect my Mac to both networks?

Collapse -
Remember
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 22, 2008 9:51 AM PST
In reply to: Another way

I know very little about your networks. Ask the person who designed yours for how to do the bridge or VPN from one to another.

As to connecting to both networks, did you try it?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!