Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Is this possible? Wireless to Wireless network?

by alstatr / September 8, 2006 5:03 AM PDT

I have what I think is a tough question to answer. Is it possible to wirelessly link two networks together?

Here is the situation:
Network 1 - 2 desktops & Laptop(with wireless) hooked up to a Belkin Wirelss G Router/Gateway which is hooked up to Comcast Internet.

Network 2 - 2 desktops hooked up to a Netgear Wireless G Router/Gateway.

I would like the two networks to be able to share internet, files, and be able to play games. The distance between the two networks is at max 50 feet. But there is ABSOLUTELY NO way to wire the networks together as they are across a hallway.

If this can not be done, some suggestions on how to make the situation better would be greatly appreciated. Also I don't really want to buy wireless cards for the two desktops on network 2.

Thank you for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this possible? Wireless to Wireless network?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this possible? Wireless to Wireless network?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hint: Wireless Bridge.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2006 5:16 AM PDT

That's called a wireless bridge and the only mistake I see is that you may be attempting this with a wifi router. If said router has bridge capability that's fine but imagine if it doesn't.

Hint. WIRELESS BRIDGE on google.com

Layout hint:
LAN -> Wireless bridge --- (air) --- Wireless Bridge -> other LAN.

Bob

Collapse -
Wireless Bridge for single workstation
by Axinar / September 8, 2006 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Hint: Wireless Bridge.

Speaking of wireless bridges ...

I have a situation where we're trying to set up a wireless network in a SINGLE ROOM because the architectural geniuses who designed the place put the cable jack in a spot surrounded by TWO DOORS so it would be borderline impossible to run ethernet cable to the 2nd workstation.

Now, the 2nd workstation itself is a desktop machine without any open PCI slots so we've been trying to use various USB wireless network adapters that seem to cause all SORTS of lovely driver-related lockup issues (to say nothing of severely complicating reloading Windows on the 2nd machine).

I had been looking at potentially using a wireless bridge (I guess some of them are called "gaming adapters"?) so that the 2nd machine can be connected to the network via its built-in ethernet port (which performed well when previously connected to a wired ethernet network at another location).

Questions - has anyone tried this configuration?

Does anyone have a wireless bridge they have had luck with? (There seem to be lots and lots of wireless network adapters but very few wireless bridges.)

Thanks!

Collapse -
Gaming adapter is not a wireless bridge.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2006 6:29 AM PDT

Please follow my suggestion of what to type into google.com since I don't duplicate ready web content.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by alstatr / September 8, 2006 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Hint: Wireless Bridge.

I read your post and that is sort of what I was thinking needed to be done. Unfortunately the routers are not bridges, so I'll need to buy two bridges it looks like. I was wondering if you have any experience with bridges and know what brands are any good?

Thanks

Collapse -
The names work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2006 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?