Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Is this possible and how can I do it? Mailto: ?????

by darkzenlord / December 4, 2008 4:26 AM PST

I want to create a single html page that will contain a simple form which will be filled out then when submitted, will e-mail me and 3 others the content of that form. I have looked into it quite a bit and now I am confused. We have a webserver which I can place the HTML file and I have created "mailto:" HTML pages but they just make my outlook pop up.(they do not send the mail at all). I know there are some services out there which will do this. But most of them are unreliable and since we already have a webserver it seems silly to out source something we should be capable of doing ourselves. So let me know. I guess the missing puzzle piece would be, how can I get an HTML form to actually email the info to me?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this possible and how can I do it? Mailto: ?????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this possible and how can I do it? Mailto: ?????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2008 4:29 AM PST

Just so you know, this is in some FAQ somewhere. The answer is no, is always no but even when you tell people no, they want to keep trying.

The answer is mailto is a dead end. Feel free to lose time on that but you should stop while you can.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank Bob
by darkzenlord / December 4, 2008 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: No.

I knew I was running around in circles. There are "free" services out there that take care of the fluff for you, so all you have is the clean looking form. They even give you the html to boot! I wanted to avoid them, but at the same time do this as painlessly and quickly as possible.

Thanks

Collapse -
I do apologize.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2008 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: Thank Bob

But I really want to save you time on this one. You can't imagine how many times the response is "mailto should do this." It doesn't and I apologize for saying no so forcefully but this one is best killed quickly.

Hope you understand,
Bob

Collapse -
Can't do this with mail:to
by DocGSXR / December 11, 2008 1:39 AM PST

All the mail:to does is allow you to have the user's default email application open up and place your email address in the To field.
What you are describing is a very simple thing to do and I have done it for a few of my clients before. You want a form to be sent to you and to three others. What you should do is create a form that then does a post or a get to a server side page (PHP, ASP, ASP.NET, ETC) and then that page can process the data (error checking) and then submit the emails to the addresses that you want the data to go to. Since you already have a web server this would be the best way to go about doing things. If you do not have the knowledge to create the form and the code to do this, you could always hire someone. I would not think it would cost too much maybe $100 or so. I could have this type of form up and running in less than an hour, very simple job.

Collapse -
expensive
by admiraldata / December 11, 2008 5:41 PM PST

charging 100$ is pretty expensive for just doing a Mail form...

Collapse -
Not saying I would charge $100...
by DocGSXR / December 12, 2008 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: expensive

...but I know some people that would. It all depends on what exactly is needed. Many times it is not just a mail form that needs to be setup. From his post it sounds like he wants a one page html form setup and he could already have an existing site or not. If he does not have a site, he will probably want some type of a design to accompany the form. That takes design time in photoshop and then time to write the css and html and add the form. Time is money and that is why I said it could cost $100 or less, it all depends what his needs are.

Collapse -
how to mail
by admiraldata / December 11, 2008 5:39 PM PST

You have to use a server side software...
I suggest using PHP. Very simple and easy to carry out a mail function.
Refer these pages to send the details of the form to a PHP file:
http://www.tizag.com/phpT/postget.php
and to receive the data and mail it use the following code:
[php]
//get the info from the form
$name = $_POST['name'];
$content = $_POST['message'];
//join it into one message:
$message = $name." writes:<br />".$content;
$subject = $name." has written a message!";
// Send
mail('yourmail@yourserver.com', $subject, $message);
[/php]

Collapse -
??
by admiraldata / December 11, 2008 5:40 PM PST
In reply to: how to mail

btw im zcollvee.

Collapse -
?
by DocGSXR / December 12, 2008 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: ??

Who is zcollvee?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.