General discussion

Is this possible?

by Drummer102 / February 14, 2008 8:15 AM PST

OK I would like a 15/15.4 inch laptop with these items,
Intel T7800 2.6 ghz or the corrisponding T9000 type
Vista Ultimate 64 bit
4 GB Ram
At least 1680x1050 Resolution
200GB 7200 rpm hard drive (or "cheap" soild state drive)
512MB Video card
light scribe
DVD Burner
optional 1 GB Turbo memory (if it really helps)
Prefer tray load for CDs
Nice to have second mode for better battery life
Great if under $2500 but can go up to $3,000
2 year warranty
I want this to be something that can last for about 4 years (I treat my stuff nice). I know Alienware makes the m15x but again I want it to last for 4 years.
Is this possibe? If not about how long will I have to wait or what is the closest equivilent?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this possible?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this possible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Haven't found such a thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 3:23 AM PST
In reply to: Is this possible?

Dell has their high end gamer laptop, but its a little more money. Have you looked it over?

Collapse -
clarification
by Drummer102 / February 16, 2008 3:28 AM PST

Do you mean the m1530 because I looked at that and it is 2400 for a pretty good one with 3GB mem (200 cheaper than 4) but it only has a 256mb card no light scribe no turbo mem and no 9000 type CPU its almost there so might it be to these improvments that by the end of the summer because I am willing to wait because it will be a big improvment for me. Or it it the best it can be?

Collapse -
Are you referring to that video "turbo memory"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: clarification

That was a way to get more texture, 3D ram for the video card without it being dedicated. If you follow the reviews on such, dedicated video memory is best.

Be sure to dive a little more into articles at CNet, Tomshardware and laptopreview to see what the trends are.

But I feel that cramming all this in a laptop is quite expensive since you can get a nice laptop for not much and for gaming pop for the PS3, 360 and a nice HDTV for as much as some of those gaming laptops.

Bob

Collapse -
turbo mem
by Drummer102 / February 16, 2008 3:53 AM PST

By turbo mem I mean the extra the Alienware offers for its m15x where it has the option to add another 1GB but I am thinking if you have 4GB or even 3GB that is enough already.
I know dedicated video is the best but again the m15x has 512mb of graphics mem and I was wondering if there are any leaks on when this might come to the less custom pc names.

Thanks that was a really fast response (really fast!)!

Collapse -
Let's save ourselves some heart ache?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: turbo mem

What OS are you considering?

If Windows, and the versions you use to play games (the 32-bit versions) then how do your feel about it limiting apps to 2.0 GB and even with that special switch the limit is 3.0GB and even then it required the application to be compiled for use over 2.0GB.

Today, I'm not going to give the nod to over 2GB.

Bob

Collapse -
OS
by Drummer102 / February 16, 2008 4:21 AM PST

I was going to use Vista Ultimate (32 bit). I will go with 3GB mem because its not that much more considering the total price and I do not want many limits. And that was I have some room to give mem to the graphics card (512mb).

Collapse -
Alienware = avoid in my book.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: OS
Collapse -
I know
by Drummer102 / February 16, 2008 4:33 AM PST

That is why I said that I would not go with alienware is because I want it to last a long time. But I am using it as an example because it is the only 15 inch that I found with 512mb mem for video.

Collapse -
"I want it to last for 4 years."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: Is this possible?

That is not going to happen. Gaming laptops are pushing the envelope as to space, heat and more. If you want a 4 year laptop you need to look at the normal laptops.

For gaming it's best to look at desktops where you get plenty of return for your money.

Bob

Collapse -
ok
by Drummer102 / February 16, 2008 5:17 AM PST

Thank you for all this an your time this did help alot.
Thank you

Collapse -
Parting idea. A value play.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 5:22 AM PST
In reply to: ok
Collapse -
ok
by Drummer102 / February 16, 2008 9:51 AM PST

First the Gateway has 1.66GHz can it even use the graphics card fully?

I was thinking I can let my brother by a desktop for gaming and I can borrow it so that I can get a laptop.
With that it changes my objective to something small last a long time and versitile. And once SSD's become cheap I will replace the HD and use it as an external. From what I see the HP has 4GB ram but only 5400rpm HD and the Dell has only 3GB ram but 7200 rpm HD
heres what I have;

HP dv2700t special edition 14 inch $1,958.98
Operating system Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit) edit
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.50 GHz, 6 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
Display 14.1" WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
Memory 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
Graphics Card 128MB NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
Personalization HP Imprint Finish (Verve) + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam + Microphone
Networking FREE Upgrade to Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection edit
Hard Drive 250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Primary CD/DVD Drive FREE Upgrade to LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support!!
Primary Battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works 9.0
Included Accessories HP 14" Reversible Notebook Sleeve

and the Dell m1330 $2,259
SYSTEM COLOR Midnight Blue
PROCESSOR Intel

Collapse -
I'd avoid those 2.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 10:05 AM PST
In reply to: ok

That 128MB video ram is too light today. I see no mention the video ram can be taken from main memory in your post and didn't check the HP web site since that would mean I have search for that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.