General discussion

Is this lot needed???

A quick question, I have SP3 installed on my computer, thing I would like to know is do I need SP2 & all the updates that came with it, I aint no computer boffin & would never attempt to delete anything unless a program did it for me but I assume that SP3 was released because it consolidated all of SP2 & it's updates into one package, so is SP2 needed on my memory & is it worth deleting??

Thanks in advance for any info

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Is this lot needed???
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is this lot needed???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I'll say yes

I'll say yes, because SP3 supersedes SP2, and overwrites all the files from SP2 that were changed for SP3. So, there really is minimal waste in terms of disk space.

Also, in the effort of helping you avoid a bunch of useless questions in the future if you need help. There's a difference between memory and disk space. Memory is short term, also known as RAM. Disk space is long term, and it's stored on something. Hard drive, USB flash drive, CD/DVD, something like that. It's effectively permanent. Use the word memory incorrectly somewhere, and you might spend a few minutes answering questions before the other person figures out you mean storage.

- Collapse -
(NT) SP3 replaced SP2. Leave it alone.

CNET Forums

Forum Info