PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Is this hardware good enough for a gaming rig

by Hawk20204 / June 11, 2009 11:00 PM PDT

I want to be able to run most games at full settings and crysis as high settings

now the hardware that is the most expensive and I think is the most important.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 $167
XFX PVT98WYDFU GeForce 9800 GTX $134
hec X-Power Pro 650 650W Continuous $54

I live in china and the fact that the dollar has gotten so low, it's actually cheaper to get these parts in America, and I would have to bring them over by air, and these are small enough and solid enough to survive flight.

will these do it for me? I will get a motherboard, 4 gigs of ram, CD drive, hard drive, and everything else here in china with a liquid cooled case.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this hardware good enough for a gaming rig
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this hardware good enough for a gaming rig
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
forgot
by Hawk20204 / June 11, 2009 11:05 PM PDT

pricing is an issue. I have a $500 budget for the actual rig with another 100 set aside for games and software, but that can be tapped into if need be. so if you have cheaper, but equally effective alternatives, do share.

Collapse -
aggresively price shop and consider radeon hd4xxxx
by ramarc / June 12, 2009 5:39 AM PDT

a radeon hd 4850 is a bit faster than a 9800gtx and can be found for $105-$115 (USD). a radeon hd 4870 is much faster and runs $125-$150.

Collapse -
the plan
by Hawk20204 / June 13, 2009 1:40 AM PDT

CPU- Intel C2D 3.0ghz E8400 $167
GPU- XFX 9800GTX+ $134
Power- Xpower 650W $54
HDD- Not specified but a 500g $50-60
DiskD- Not specified, but crappy $20-30
MBoard- XFX 780i $100-120
Shell+cooling- unspecified Thermaltake $60
RAM- Kingston 2, 1 g sticks $30

this is pretty much my plan so far. I'm goin with nvidia just to simplify things.

any comments? improvements? is my processor overkill?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!