TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

IS THIS DISCUSSION FORUM DEAD

Old stewee boy has been in this forum for almost 2 years, and with the great information from c.net I was able to build a sweet little home theater and have chatted with some real experts, But now home theater systems are so cheap and really plug in and enjoy, In closing I will state home theater is one of the best investments one can make.The thrill of owning your own movie theater is pricless Well time for a poker game and after that its couch time and watch a blue ray movie. talk about hot here in san jose hope you all have a sweet day steweeee

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IS THIS DISCUSSION FORUM DEAD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IS THIS DISCUSSION FORUM DEAD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No, just other channels to watch.

In reply to: IS THIS DISCUSSION FORUM DEAD

Check out the Samsung forum. But last time I looked it seemed to be people looking for free TV repair?

Collapse -
No it just slowed down

Sales of home theaters and TV's have just slowed down, plus so many people get so confused about what to get, they just stop looking and spend money on something else.

Plus most people like me are all out of money, I need a few more gov. rebate checks to be able to upgrade anything.

I need a new TV with more HDMIs, a BLU Ray player and a new stand.

I think with no one buying anything, there is no one to ask questions.

Gabe.

Collapse -
Some freshness seems lacking recently, Stewee.

Take a couple factors. The fast movement for providing better value to those of us who might aspire to it did indeed bring many to make their move & buy into HDTV.

Next, we now have a strained economy which exerts pressures whether or not we are or have been by definition in a recession or not, but $4 gas & all the domino effect food cost increases are stressing hard now. That has slowed discretionary spending now.

The forum has perhaps exhausted itself from several common thread topics to the extent that some regulars may have gotten tired of responding to a fairly repetitive set of topics.

New models will bring some renewed interest, at least with questions about name brand new models. The TV industry itself has deliberately moved certrainly away from DLP & even from plasma empahsis to LCD emphasis anticipating substantial economies of scale with high LCD production - a welcome to them opportunity to regain profit margins. Keep in touch now after the scare we had from you not being in touch for awhile. As one who took too many years to get away from tobacco, I gotta say your smuggling smokes while in the hospital for heart treatment is not really a virtue. OK, off my soap box now.

Collapse -
I agree with that

In reply to: Some freshness seems lacking recently, Stewee.

Just seem like the same old, same old. Most questions could be answered with a quick search of this forum. Besides, it is Summer and we have a lot more to to now.

Collapse -
No, the forum isn't dead, but we thought you were!!!

Ha! Hey Stewee, no kidding. YOU were gone for so long we were worried about you. We were ready to send out the Toshiba repair people to see if it fell on you and trapped you. Happy

Collapse -
It is the economy.....

In reply to: No, the forum isn't dead, but we thought you were!!!

The poster who noted that the economy is tanking and is taking a toll on this forum is right on the money. I'm sure a lot of A/V enthusiast who were looking to upgrade are putting off purchases because money is so tight. Heck, I was going to buy a new A/V receiver and I'm taking a pass because who knows when the other shoe is going to drop. If a certain Middle Eastern country keeps testing its new missle system and the patience of another Middle Eastern country with a crack air-force and army...who knows what the price of gas will be next week?

Collapse -
Here in Ca.

In reply to: It is the economy.....

With VZ rolling out Fios and the impending end of terrestrial tv. I see a lot of people buying new sets. A/V guys seem busy too. Lots of vans and trucks with signage about HT installation out there. HTIB are popular too. Seeing lots of them when working.
401K is tanking. Thinking of buying some rental property. So far i've contributed almost 6 grand but i'm down nearly 8. I'd do better stuffing it in the mattress right now. It's all about living within means. So many people bought more house than they could afford then sucked all the equity out of it. Everybody seems to forget what the 80's was like during that downturn.

Collapse -
I really hesitate to see people bailing out of their 401Ks,

In reply to: Here in Ca.

but 401Ks do tend to often get hit hard by market downturns.

As to observations by us outside that sales arena can be easily misintrepreted. If just recently brought to mind, now all of a sudden we might notice those big box store vans around & assume they are doing a lot of business. We don't get accurate public statements by managers as they are hard cord instructed by headquarters to never publically make negative comments. They sometimes will get a sound bite of them saying how strong their business - sometimes followed up by that firm's bankruptcy suddenly within a couple of months.

If you know a BB or CC store general manager well, he might spill the beans, especially if he's talking about not knowing if he has job security or not.

Back to 401Ks: A lot of small businesses seem to have administrators for their program who really do a lousy job of both investment picks & high service fees. I hate to see their service fee be greater than the annual performance for you. Makes you want to be able to wring their necks. If you would be able to roll it over into a manager of your selection, then get away from small time leaches & get an outfit like Fidelity to be the administrator. At least they, & a few other rather prominant ones have demonstrated pretty good results for their investors over time.

Stock market investments are stacked by the big guys very much against small time investors. If you would like actual individual attention to your account, don't expect to find that unless you have around 3 million in assets. Otherwise, you might as well be dirt. They concentrate first on their revenus stream of fees they can impose, then secondarily on those accounts 3 million or over & tiny accounts are like just so much dust in the corner. They intend to get around to it eventually, but..

Collapse -
HI STEWEE. YES THINGS HAVE BEEN SLOW OUT HERE DUE TO.......

MANY OF THE AFOREMENTIONED REASONS.

THE ECONOMY IS SUCKING AS BAD AS IT DID DURING THE NIXON YEARS.

GAS AND FOOD TEND TO TAKE PRIORITY.

HDTV HAS BEEN NARROWED DOWN, FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES TO

PLASMA AND LCD MODELS. NO MORE DEBATE OVER CRT, SXRD, & DLP MODELS.

WITH LESS TO DEBATE, AND EVEN LESS TO SPEND, THERE ARE FEWER QUESTIONS

TO ASK.

Maybe a surge of newbies will come with the FEB. 2009 analog/digital

changeover. As long as the ECONOMY blows there won't be much

discretionary spending on HIGH-END products. Right now FOOD is a high-

end item.

BEST TO ALL,

RIVERLEDGE.

Collapse -
Good investment

In reply to: HI STEWEE. YES THINGS HAVE BEEN SLOW OUT HERE DUE TO.......

Was a small chest freezer I got from some one moving out of the hood. $50 and only a couple of months old with receipt, holds hundreds of dollars of meat I buy when on sell. Now if only I could put a display on it and speakers, maybe some wheels. It would be a great investment.
My work does use Fidelity. But as 401ks go, they always choose mid to low risk. But todays market, it seems it"s all risk. Another $470 in today only to become $202 at closing.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.