Desktops forum

General discussion

Is this Dell a good deal?

by rob54w / March 10, 2008 7:51 AM PDT

I'm planning on buying a Dell Inspiron 530. Cnet seemed to love it, because it's one of the top mainstream desktops. There's a deal going on until march 20 where you get $300 off an Ispiron desktop if you configure it over $999. I configured it for $1,009 so I could get it for just over $700. I'd like to see what you all say about it, especially the GRAPHICS CARD. I want to play games, but my budget is $750 so I'm going for the bang to buck ratio here. Thanks all!

PROCESSOR Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this Dell a good deal?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this Dell a good deal?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Close to it
by welrdelr / March 10, 2008 1:03 PM PDT

A sound card should be added.
For me, I would ditch Windows and go with a Linux/GNU or *BSD distribution.

Collapse -
Are sound cards required for some games?
by rob54w / March 15, 2008 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Close to it

If I were to plays games like EverQuest II and Wow, would I need a sound card? It seems like a waste of money to me. And I can't ditch Windows because it's the only OS that supports games.

Collapse -
SOUND Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 8:13 PM PDT

You have sound but some don't like onboard sound. I suggest you try it and add a nice soundblaster if you don't care for the onboard sound.
Bob

Collapse -
dell deal
by pc_tech2008 / March 20, 2008 12:56 PM PDT

write: I'm planning on buying a Dell Inspiron 530. Cnet seemed to love it, because it's one of the top mainstream desktops. There's a deal going on until march 20 where you get $300 off an Ispiron desktop if you configure it over $999. I configured it for $1,009 so I could get it for just over $700. I'd like to see what you all say about it, especially the GRAPHICS CARD. I want to play games, but my budget is $750 so I'm going for the bang to buck ratio here. Thanks all!

reply:
1. I hate to disappoint you but dell have deal all the time.
just shortly before christmas dell had a dell if you configure your 530 over 999 you get a $350 discount here you only say 300, if you configure to I think 1200 or something like that I don't remember exact you will get a extra 150 and free shipping

2. if you go with vista home premimun please check 1st I think this version of windows do NOT allow you to do full system backup only file and folder backup

3. inspiron 530 is not that bad, 1 good part is there is a door covering up those memory card reader to ban dust entry no other pc seems to have this. you won't get much option slot inside.

4. here is the catch. if you go with 1 gig memory or 2 gig memory and you want more or max it to 4 in the future, here is a catch with dell, their web site is 1 price, if you call them on the phone and if they know you have a purchase order or customer # the price they give you for memory will be 2-3 times more that what is stated in their web site. when question why they claim they are right about the $. compare dell price on memory and store price for a good name brand if it is on sale you are better off buying it on the store.

we did a research on memory with dell lately where the web was under $45 a gig, we called in using someone's invoice the price for 1 gig was $89 so times it by 2 for 2 gig memory purchase that is a lot of money. Then we took popular store price for that week best buy was about $70 staples was under $60 (store had it on sale). exclude shipping and tax

5. problem with dell the bad part is their tech support high % of the rep you cannot understand what they are talking about. they speak with heavy foreign lanugage. the rule is start buying a technical pc repair text book and start learning how to fix pc yourself.

the inspirion 530 is a nice machine but the tech support sucks.
if you need accessory or parts go other places not dell

hope this helps

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?