General discussion

Is This Considered Linux??:

Amiga OS.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Is This Considered Linux??:
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is This Considered Linux??:
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) No, not even close.
- Collapse -
Amiga

Is just a league on its own.

At one point was a better OS than Windows and Apple. The TV Show Babilon 5 was made 1st on Amiga PCs. Started that way back on the early 90s. I remember people buying the Amiga PC over Apple if they want to do Gaming and Rendering. Just felt out of popularity and with the "cheapness" of MS systems... you know the rest of the story.

- Collapse -
MorphOS:

What About MorphOS??????? Isn't MorphOS Open Source????????????

- Collapse -
MorphOS is not Linux too

It is mixed source. Closed source kernel, drivers and open source Ambient user interface. Very small hardware support when compared to Linux/win. Either some rare PC's no longer in production or Mac mini. Check thei homepage for more info:
http://www.morphos-team.net/

- Collapse -
While you are at it...

have you heard of BeOS and Haiku OS.? BeOS was a beauty. Really too bad it died.

- Collapse -
Haiku is openBeOS

So BeOS will reborn and continue its life in better free and open form. Wink
Too bad today is only alpha 1, even OSS windos "version" ReactOS is in more complete form.

- Collapse -
I Think:

Both Commodore And Genesi still exist.

Why are there not categories for them on this website????

There should also be a category for other OSs, whether or not they are Open Source...because they do not fit into Linux.

Last time I checked (a few hours ago) Genesi can natively run Amiga and Commodore runs Windows Vista &/or 7, and Ubuntu. With Amiga OS on emulation.

- Collapse -
Why are there not categories for them on this website????

I think because of very small user base.
But IMO BSD should have its category. BSD (freebsd.org) is second most popular OSS OS after Linux.

- Collapse -
Search and you may find.

There are small but active user groups for about anything. From Timex Sinclair to what you noted, you should find such out there.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info