HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Is this cause a by virus or..

by Melati Hitam / February 23, 2004 10:30 PM PST

I already post in Windows XP forum, but maybe the problem could well be related to a virus, so, here it is again..

===
Website link does not work, only on certain site and..only on certain user account (admin or limited)

Windows XP SP1 with all critical update, norton AV 2003.

3 users, 1 administrator, 1 user with admin level, 1 Limited user.

Previously I have no problem with all users account..

Problem 1:
Using 'Administrator' everything are OK.

Using User account w/ Admin level OR Limited user account, I can not click 'almost any link'

I only notice the problem only in www.google.com and www.yahoo.com, I can not click any link available.

When I click the link.. nothing happen..

Tried www.pcworld.com (and other) everything normal.

Check with NAV, and trendmicro online scan.. Clean.
Check with Adaware 6.181 (latest update) Clean.
Check with Spybot SD, Clean.

Create new user account .. samething.. doesn't work either.

Problem 2: I can not download a file from ftp site -- when the file I want to download have an ftp link.. I can not download, I can get the file using download utility such as 'Stardownloader'

What happened here and how can I fix it?

Note: that reregistering some module in registry, as suggested by this link -- http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=281679

didn't help.

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this cause a by virus or..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this cause a by virus or..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Is this cause a by virus or..
by Donna Buenaventura / February 24, 2004 1:03 AM PST

Does right-clicking on the link then click 'Open' doesn't work too?

If the resolution in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=281679 didn't help, try to re-install Internet Explorer or run System File Checker (SFC) to check the system files for damaged or corrupted files.

To re-install Internet Explorer in Windows XP:

Click Start>Run then type rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 %windir%\Inf\ie.inf

Note: You need to have your XP CD available

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_ie_reinstall.htm

To run SFC:
From Start>Run type CMD then hit enter. Type SFC /scannow

You will also need your XP CD available for the above.

Collapse -
Just a thought
by Gakada / February 24, 2004 1:44 AM PST

Melati Hitam,
you said that your 'real' administrator account works normally?

What about transfering the setting to other users account?

I'm not sure about reinstalling IE, due to the fact it works on 'real' administrator.. but like I said, I'm not sure..

Also what did you do or install prior to the said problem? i.e. NAV update, Spywareblaster update, Adaware update or any Windows Update, etc.

Just a reminder, if you did take the IE reinstallation route or running SFC, You might also need to install the upgrades, updates and patches etc. You might not know that your IE is out of date or unpatches..

I would like to know how you fix the problem, please tell us the result.

Good Luck

Collapse -
Melati, I just heard from 2 of my friends..
by Gakada / February 25, 2004 3:25 AM PST

It seems that they have same problem with you, with addition that they also found out the msn.com link don't work either.

And exactly with the same symptom you explain, Only real administrator is not affected (User w/ admin, limited user and new created user didn't work)

Now I really wonder if this is a new kind of virus or spyware/adware thing...

If you found out a way to fix it, please let us know.

Thank You and Good Luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.