Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is this because we don't have any military left in the USA

by xerpor / April 2, 2005 3:52 PM PST

What about when they come home?

They are coming home aren't they?

Bush appoints base closings commission

President Bush, brushing aside a stall tactic by Sen. Trent Lott, R-Mississippi, appointed the nine-member commission that will determine military bases closings without waiting for Senate confirmation.

Bush made the appointments while the Senate was in recess, the White House announced Friday night. The recess appointments prevent delays as the commission prepares to make the first round of base closings in a decade.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/02/base.closings.ap/index.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this because we don't have any military left in the USA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this because we don't have any military left in the USA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
expect a draft

We will be in Iraq until the oil and natural gas families of America and europe have finished the pipeline to the persian gulf. Then we will keep some troops there to secure it. We have several military bases along the pipeline right now. The maps tell you what our leaders never will.

Collapse -
So
by dirtyrich / April 3, 2005 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: expect a draft

its a valuable resource for not only us but the people of Iraq, and a prime target for sabotage? Don't really see what the problem is here, oil is a significant strategic resource that must be protected. Or would you rather we allow millions of gallons of oil to be ignited by terrorists?
As for the draft, that a silly comment. Based upon the history fo our nation, there is a negligible chance for a draft unless US soil is directly attacked by a foreign nation.

Collapse -
Now entering the Twilight Zone
by EdH / April 3, 2005 6:35 AM PDT
In reply to: So

If SE is going to be taken over by conspiracy nuts I'll start feeling nostalgic for the standard leftist loons.

Collapse -
Base realignment and closure, BRAC, isn't new
by Roger NC / April 3, 2005 6:39 AM PDT

In fact, it's one of the reasons I can't see why there is so a push to build a brand new OLF (outlaying landing field) not too far from me by the Navy.

They have been closing bases for several years now, as they reduced the military size as I understand it. It seems every year they have a new study and protocols.

Seems to have little to do with current conflicts, IMO, so linking the two is probably just pure politics.

Actually which ones close is probably pure politics, which Congresscritter can pull the most strings to preserve the military pay checks in his district.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I've been under the impression
by TONI H / April 3, 2005 7:00 AM PDT

that most of the base closings are worldwide and not USA bases.....which means that if those military coming in from overseas after years and years need bases here with new up-to-date equipment and housing, I would imagine that would be a 'push' situation.

GWB talked about closing overseas bases and bring back military personnel a while back....looks to me like this is something he was pretty serious about.

TONI

Collapse -
Maybe so
by Roger NC / April 3, 2005 10:18 AM PDT

But for a few years now, every time there has been any question about something the military in NC wanted, there have been veiled threats that if things didn't go exactly as the military brass wanted, we might lose a base or two.

And the income to the local areas and the state is too high to let any politician take a chance on that.

I'm generally pro-military, but sometimes they're just politicans and beaurcracy too.

On January 6, 2004, the Department of Defense announced that it had requested commanders of installations in the United States, territories and possessions to gather information about their installations as part of the 2005 round of BRAC. All installations are to participate in these calls, and every base and military installation in the United States are doing internal assessments of their operations, land, personnel, and facilities. While none of the questions or data associated with the questions will be released to the public prior to the department's recommendations being forwarded to the independent Defense Base Closure and Realignment Commission and with all questions and data to be publicly available once the Commission receives them.

Just one quote.

Basically the fuss here is that the real reason for the OLF seems to be that all the folks in Virginia that built next to the Air Force base want the base and the benefits, but want the noise of practice landings somewhere else.

BTW, guess who is the senator from Virginia and what position he holds?

I work to serve the Commonwealth of Virginia as well as America. As always, I look forward to hearing from the people of Virginia about legislation or other matters that affect your families and communities. As chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, ...

What's the sayings about controlling the purse strings?

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Lots more troops in US than overseas
by EdH / April 3, 2005 10:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
its about now not old statistics
by humbletothecore / April 3, 2005 11:49 AM PDT

The old stats are irrelevent because the needs of overseas deployment have increased over the years. The two main factors that need a look are current troops and current needs. Here is an article that discusses this issue. It accounts for the fact that troops are needed overseas already, and we don't seem to have them here. That is why a draft is a concern for many.
http://forums.greenbaynewschron.com/read.php?2,209540,220537

Collapse -
well as theres no plans for a draft
by Mark5019 / April 3, 2005 12:27 PM PDT

you should volinteer be all that you can be

Collapse -
That article was from last October
by EdH / April 3, 2005 6:17 PM PDT

Stats as late as 2003. Things have not changed that radically. There is a concern about troop levels but the chance of a draft is minimal to none. The fact that some "antiwar activists" are worried about it is what's irrelevant.

This is a bogeyman of the left. Kerry tried it as a scare during the campaign. Remember teh :secret plan" that would be revealed right after the election?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ed which version of the plan:)
by Mark5019 / April 3, 2005 10:13 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.