HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Is this acceptable computer repair service

by k6lw / May 13, 2006 3:50 AM PDT

Six months ago when my system totally went out I called a guy in the yellow pages who replaced the motherboard and processor. He said I had a 1 year manufacturer's warranty on parts and included this on the receipt.

My computer went out again in the end of March, after fiddling for a couple weeks, I determined the motherboard had failed again. When I contacted the manufacturer, Biostar, they said it was past warranty.

So, in Mid-April I took my computer back to they guy who put the hardware in. Who agreed the motherboard had failed. A week later I check in on him by phone, and he said he is going to have to order a new motherboard.

Now it is Mid-May a month after bring the computer back in to this guy. Considering he had to order parts, swap motherboards and test the system. How long is reasonable to give this guy?

Now a week and a half we have not been able to contact this guy by phone, and he has yet to return our recent calls. I thought about driving by his home shop to see if he has been around. If this guy does anything shady what are our options?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this acceptable computer repair service
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this acceptable computer repair service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends really
by drat_ninny / May 13, 2006 4:45 AM PDT

Depending on a number of different factors, shipping time can be quite long. I placed an order with a place recently, and they sat on the order for 6 days without shipping it. Probably would have sat on it longer if I didn't threaten to cancel the order. However, a month seems a bit excessive.

Assuming he ordered a new board from a place just after the end of business on Friday, and the part didn't go out until the first thing Tuesday using the slowest shipping method there is... It shouldn't be more than a little over a week.

Swapping the board shouldn't take more than an hour, and a reasonable burn in testing time would be about 3 days.

So kind of worst case scenario, I'd say no more than 3 weeks, and if it were going to take that long they should have called you so you could decide to wait or look elsewhere.

If there is something shady going on, your best bet would be to report it to the police. They can get a warrant if necessary, and execute a search to retrieve your property. You then also have official documentation you could use in civil court if you wanted to pursue that avenue. Just be prepared to be persistent with the police. You might have to be so annoying they will send someone out there just to shut you up. Just don't do anything on your own, make sure the police are involved so you don't find yourself in legal trouble over this.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by k6lw / May 13, 2006 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Depends really

I just sent that guy an email, I just found his address on whois. If I don't hear back by the end of this week, I'll stop by his house, then I'll start considering filing a report with the police.

Thanks for the reply

Collapse -
Question
by PKsteven / May 13, 2006 6:44 AM PDT

Besides the good advice given, I have another question. If your motherboard burned out in a year, did you question as to what type of MB you should get next? You have that option when someone repairs your pc and you pay for it. Did you allow him to decide this for you? Did you look up what kind it was and check prices against what he charged you for it? My neighbor had a supposed new MB replaced after lightning hit his pc, the tech who replaced it, bought a board off of Ebay , a socket 7, pentium 2 no less, and told him it was brand new. He didn't know any better and paid around 350.00 for this rip off.

I am not saying this is the case, but more and more I see techs ripping people off, and many in my area don't like me since i've busted them cold. Another example for you is this, my aunts computer also had a lightning incident, when the insurance company told her to go to a liscensed tech, The usb port controllers were fried but the pc worked, he said he wanted her restore disks she ordered for the os and needed them in order to troubleshoot the pc. He also said he would keep the pc and sell her another.

I called him and told him that I ordered the disks personally, they didn't come with the system, and she gets her pc back, he doesn't need the disks, and she isn't buying from him. He was very angered but oh well. I give this as an example because you may not realize how much right you have to know what goes into your pc and that you have the final say. The tech can fix it, give you advice, but does not say what you can do with it.

Good luck and in the future, remember YOU have options.

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply
by k6lw / May 13, 2006 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Question

I looked up the brand and model, Biostar M7VIF/Via KT333, of motherboard and most people and reviews seemed to think favoably of it. C

Could something like a subpar powersupply account for the two motherboard's failing. Though, the first was 4 years old , and the second motherboard could have suffered poor care in the hands of that guy.

Thanks for teh reply

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.