General discussion

Is this a virus?

I have a window that pops up intermittent in the task bar. It is about the size of the OE envelope. It is a rectangle with the top and bottom borders in blue. It pops up for no reason but is gone in about 2 seconds.

I have of course scanned this machine with AVG, Spybot and AdAware, nothing found. Checked running programs but nothing unusual as far as I can tell. I have yet to use house call, (just thought of it) so I'm off to that site. Meanwhile if it sounds famaliar I'd appreciate any advice.

Rod

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Is this a virus?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is this a virus?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
House Call

Did not detect any virus. There is a discussion going on in the XP forum about the same. Sorry but I thought there was not going to be any more replies. Another fellow has the same little pop up box as me. I checked event viewer at the exact same time it happened but nothing was shown.

Rod

- Collapse -
Hi again Rod

I've been following the discussion in the XP forum about this, besides the post that I made on it that you already checked for and it didn't help. BUT anyway. If I've got this straight between the 2 discussions, you have scanned with Spybot, Ad-Aware SE, AVG and Housecall and they all come up clean. Try cwshredder and also a trojan remover program and see if they detect anything. I'm just trying to eliminate possiblities here. cwshredder is free, the trojan removers, download a free trial.

cwshredder (stand alone unit)(another small scanner for certain things, ALL other windows should be closed)
http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

TrojanHunter - http://www.misec.net/ (trial)

The Cleaner Pro 30 days trial - http://www.moosoft.com

- Collapse -
Correct

I have scanned with all the above including CW Shredder. I D/L Trojan Hunter, updated and it found nothing.

I also checked system running programs and start up. I found a couple that did not have information. I checked on Google and they are legit. Trojan Hunter runs in the background so it might detect this critter when it pops up again. Thanks for the TH link, it was worth a try. I didn't post this over in XP since you replied here. I didn't know this would turn out to be so involved.

My only thought at the moment is HP has an automatic update. However after almost a year this pop up has never happened on an update. I'm really out of ideas unless TH detects this when it pops up.

Rod

- Collapse -
Hi Rod

I replied here because this is my regular forum. although I try to help out in a few of the others when I have time. If Trojan Hunter doesn't popup when the popup comes up, I suppose that it would be a good thing except for the fact that you still don't know what you've got. The HP thing is an idea although I have a fairly new Compaq that was build after HP bought Compaq and I have/had the HP Update thing too. I had a problem with it and got rid of it but, if I remember correctly, those popups were a lot bigger, about 2 inches square. You have got a stumper for sure. Please keep us posted and I will follow the dilema in the XP forum too when I have time. If I find out anything else, I will post it either here or there. Good luck.

- Collapse -
OK

The HP reminder is a lot larger and mine is seen above the task bar on the right side above the clock. For now I am out of ideas unless another forum like AVG or security forum would have heard of it. If you have any ideas where I could be referred let me know. Thanks, Rod

- Collapse -
If you keep after the thread in the

XP forum somebody will probably be able to figure it out eventually. MarkFlax's suggestion of taking a picture of it was an excellent one but I see it didn't work. I really doubt if Mark will give up on this either, he is extremely helpful to people. There are also others in different parts of the world that may have ideas that have not seen your post yet so don't give up on CNET yet, there are some incredibly smart and helpful people that are members here. You will probably get more responses, especially in the XP forum for this. I could be wrong but I have a suspicion that this is not a virus or trojan problem but I'm just trying to eliminate things.

CNET Forums

Forum Info