Question

Is this a video card problem?

This is my first time on these forums, but after reading a few threads and visiting some other sites you guys seem like the nicest and most spot on when it comes to resolving an issue.

I have a HP Pavilion DV9743cl laptop. The other day while checking my email(I didn't open any except from work and didn't download anything) my computer received the blue screen of death. I can't remember what it said, but it had something to do with graphics. When I restarted my laptop all I saw a bunch of weird "a" symbols running across my screen. My screen is now stuck at 800X600 and I get a bunch of orange wavy lines and blue bars running in a checkerboard pattern across my screen. If I change my resolution to anything higher the screen fades to black and has white intermixed that looks like its moving around and slowly fading.

I tried system restore just hoping it was a program that downloaded, but that was failed.
I ran Malware Bytes and my Anti-Virus software in safe mode, but nothing wrong in that department
I re installed the Drivers for my graphics card and that did not help
I have done everything but open up my laptop; and if I do that I'm taking it outside and feeding it a few rounds of .40S&W

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Is this a video card problem?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Is this a video card problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Sadly the dv9000 line is known to have video chip issues.

There is no "card". Google DV9000 RECALL to learn more.

It is not a drivers issue.
Bob

- Collapse -
question

So it's not a graphics card, but a chip. Looking at this issues by this there are some similarities, but there are also differences. I'm buying a new laptop anyways, but I at least wanted to find the issue so that I could have something to do in my free time. I just wanted to make sure I have time to back up my data before I get a new laptop. Then its the XD40 the old one.

- Collapse -
answer.

There are folk that feel that prior failures don't match and will hope against hope that their dv6000 or dv9000 is somehow different. Sorry but that's like asking me to follow you into a tar pit. I can't do that.

These models are well known. The problems with these models have many thousand discussions. I can summarize for you, share how to find the prior discussions and feel sorry about your loss.
Bob

CNET Forums