Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Is this a sign of a monitor going bad?

by Angeline Booher / September 7, 2006 7:57 AM PDT

Just a few minutes ago my monitor did a quick sudden sort of a flash or brightening for a second.

If it is a sign, can I connect my old monitor that goes with my W95 to this PC? I have the disk for that monitor.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this a sign of a monitor going bad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this a sign of a monitor going bad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It could just be
by Glenda / September 7, 2006 8:05 AM PDT

a surge, But if not the other monitor should work fine:)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) yes 2 what glenda said
by Mark5019 / September 7, 2006 8:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
Could be video card drivers
by TONI H / September 7, 2006 8:14 AM PDT

if you don't have the newest ones for it, get them downloaded and installed....you can go to Control Panel/System (or Performance and Maintenance)/ Hardware/Device Mgr...then look under Display Adapters for the maker and model number you need.

I usually find best results by going directly to the mfr site (say it's an Nvidia Geforce or whatever) rather than going to the mfr of the computer system (such as Dell or Gateway) for the drivers.

Once installed, keep an eye out for the same type of behavior, and if it keeps happening, the monitor may be on its last leg. If under warranty, get it replaced from your vendor. The only bad part about that is that the mfr gives a vendor a two year warranty, whereas the vendor most times only gives you a year, so if you turn it back into them, they charge you for a new one and get the replacement from the mfr for free (I've had it happen to me already ONCE and I never dealt with that company (local) again...even picketed their shop on the sidewalk to chase potential customers away).

Your older monitor will hook up just fine and you probably won't need drivers for it for it to work...but you will probably have to make manual adjustments to the screen or you will see black edges around your 'desktop'....so look for the buttons on the monitor that do that.

Collapse -
Several possibilites
by Steven Haninger / September 7, 2006 10:12 AM PDT

If it made a sound like the snap of a spark, it could have been an electrical discharge from the glass envelope....assuming it's a CRT type. This will have on it a large charge created by the "flyback" transformer. This is generally insulated from the rest of the chassis but there could be reasons for the discharge such as dust build up or a breakdown of insulation on some wiring that carries the high voltage. These monitors also have plenty of plug and jack/socket connectors that will develop a bit of corrosion with heat, humidity and time. When this happens, some circuits act erratically..especially power supplies that correct for changing electrical loads. Of course you are warned not to open these up for fear of death. I've taken a few apart, cleaned them and reseated connectors, etc. and lived to tell about it. Sometimes this has helped and sometimes not. I won't recommend this to you because on of the prolific contributors in the help forums will jump all over me if I do. Happy

Collapse -
Make sure the...
by null. / September 7, 2006 3:16 PM PDT

video cable is firmly connected to the port and the screws are tight.
I've had this happen when i wiggle a cable not secured well.

Don Erickson

Collapse -
Simply put....
by James Denison / September 7, 2006 3:18 PM PDT

....in most instances it means the monitor is about to die. Next step will be having it close to a line, having to hit it to open it back up, and then increasing the rate it does that over time. You didn't say, but sounds like you are running a CRT monitor. Pick up an LCD type. They are much cheaper these past 2 years than ever before, the TFT technology makes them much better too on image quality. You can get a 17" LCD monitor under $190 and a 19" under $230 if you shop around on the internet. Try compgeeks. Remember the inch measurement on the LCD screens actually give you MORE image viewing area than the comparable CRT monitors.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?