HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Is this a graphics card problem?

by FredS / February 26, 2008 9:03 PM PST

I have started having a graphic/video problem with several of the few games I use. These include two "Pac-man type" games and a shooting game, "Placer Racer" by Hoyle.

The problem is that frequently when the Pac-man figure is racing across the screen, or when game balls are being shot at targets, these moving figures will suddenly slow down for two seconds or so, and then rush to resume normal speed. Five-to-ten seconds later, the slowdown cycle occurs again. The condition started several months ago and has remained the same since then.

My computer has the following specs (from Lavalys):
* Microsoft Windows 98SE
* Intel Pentium IIIE, 800 MHz (6 x 133)
* Motherboard: Asus CUV4X-C (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 DIMM)
* System Memory: 256 MB (PC133 SDRAM)
* BIOS Type: Award Medallion

While the games are still playable, this recurrent "unwanted slow-motion condition" takes the edge off playing them.

What do you suppose is wrong?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this a graphics card problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this a graphics card problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Back with this OS there is an issue and still is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2008 9:10 PM PST

With ethernet connections without cables and shares that are offline. The fix is easy if someone tells you. Disable the ports you don't use and disconnect from network shares that are offline.

No fix from Microsoft was ever issued.

Bob

Collapse -
Question
by Bob__B / February 26, 2008 10:09 PM PST

Are these games being played from a CD?

If so....does the slow down occur when the CD goes active?

Collapse -
Reply to Robert & Bob B.
by FredS / February 27, 2008 1:23 AM PST

Robert and Bob B., thanks for the info. I either didn't furnish enough info to you, or, technically, I'm in over my head with the ethernet connections. The games aren't being run on a network of any kind nor are they running off a CD. They were loaded from a CD and the internet to my computer's hard drive and now run from that.

My HD is 20 GB but only half full. I've run AdAware and defragged the drive several times. Other than those two games, my computer operates fine. Of course, only those two types of games, like PacMan and a shooting-gallery type, have figures running across the screen continually.

Robert, your reply title indicates there is a video problem with Win98 SE. Is that true? If I still need to "disable ports" and "disconnect from network shares", would you please elaborate just a bit more to point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 2:58 AM PST

But given the age of this OS I hope you would have seen the device manager and the right click disconnect option on the Network Neighborhood.

Please share if you just started using Windows 98.

Bob

Collapse -
Thought
by Bob__B / February 27, 2008 5:33 AM PST

When your playing these games there is a good chance that your machine is very busy.
It won't take much to push it over the edge and then the game becomes choppy.
Often finding what is pushing it over the edge is a matter of trial and error.
Look into the area that Robert is talking about...see if it helps.

Question.
Adaware stopped support for w98 some time ago....unless your getting the def files manual.
Is that the only anti-malware tool your using?

Collapse -
I don't think it's a graphic card issue.
by Kees Bakker / February 27, 2008 7:02 AM PST

I suspect some background program. How does it behave if you run in Safe Mode (sorry, low screen resolution)? Or disconnect from the Internet and stop all your other programs (one by one) from Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del) to see if that makes a difference.

Kees

Collapse -
Bench testing done <g>
by FredS / February 27, 2008 11:48 PM PST

Bob, I'm not new to Win98, but I don't know as much as I probably should about what's "under the hood". I went to Windows Help index, found "Device Manager" and then clicked as shown to bring up the Mgr.

There wasn't any "Network Neighborhood" listed, but there was a "Network Adapters" and, under that subheading, a "Dial-up Adapters". But that doesn't look related to my problem. Is there another place I should be looking for a "Network Neighborhood" heading?

Bob B., I agree that something in the computer seems to be cycling every few seconds that is slowing down the game. This and what Kees said (below) gave me an idea about checking for this. As for AdAware, I do manually check for new updates every time I use it - about every 2-3 weeks, or sooner. If there is an update, I download it. I sometimes use Spybot in conjunction with AdAware, too.

Kees, I tried the game Placer Racer (a pin-ball type) in Safe Mode. The low-screen resolution caused a program pop-up message that warned of "serious errors" if I tried to play the game without a higher resolution.

However, I figured the thing wouldn't blow up in my face, so I tried it <grin>. While I couldn't clearly see the pinball colors and their motion, the game DID seem to run smoother in Safe Mode. So, after re-booting to a normal start-up, I made sure only the standard "Explorer, Ctfmon, Avgcc, and Systray" from start-up were running in the background. Then I tried the game again.

As in Safe Mode, the game did seem to run smoother at the higher resolution. So now I realize that, without thinking about it, I probably have been running the game with other programs open but idle, like Firefox browser and maybe a word processor.

Thank you all for the ideas. I will continue to play the game without any other programs running to see if that really is the solution. Thanks much, I appreciate it.

Collapse -
"running the game with other programs open but idle"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2008 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: Bench testing done <g>
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.