Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Is this a good PC?

by Shirley R / April 2, 2005 2:40 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Is this a good PC?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Is this a good PC?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are likterally hundreds of new PC's
by Ray Harinec / April 2, 2005 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: Is this a good PC?

that will satisfy your critieria. certainly won't have to upgrade if you buy a new one.

Only caveate is related to the type of games you want to play. That can place great demands on a system. maybe you should look at some of the gamers systems.

I hope that John Robie sees this post. he can give you good advice re a system for you.

Collapse -
Just a thought. Someday you may want to
by Ray Harinec / April 2, 2005 3:57 AM PST

upgrade. That system uses the socket 754 CPU, no upgrades will be available for that CPU. I would recco getting one with a socket 939 64 bit AMD. That is the present upgrade path for AMD. The socket 754 isn't really being supported anymore [regardless of what AMD promised.

Collapse -
Tks. Ray
by Shirley R / April 2, 2005 4:08 AM PST

You're right! Some day I may want to upgrade.
I've read many of John's posts. I'll go back and read them again. Only problem is that I'm limited to Walmart or Best Buy. We live in a small town and we don't like to buy anything over the internet. Old fashioned, I guess. Happy

Shirley

Collapse -
I emailed John via his profile
by Ray Harinec / April 2, 2005 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: Tks. Ray

Maybe he's out rounding up a steer to kill for a barbeque for tomorrow [he's a Texan] LOL.

If you want, you can email him via the profile bit. You just click on his name in one of his posts and that gets you to where you can email him.

I feel certain that there are Computers at Best Buy that should have the socket 939 mobos in them. Another great thing about the socket 939 CPUs is that they draw far less current than the socket 754's CPU's. Thus, they are easier to cool.

69 watts versus 89 watts. I know that this is of no practical interest to you, but it means that the system runs considerably cooler.

Collapse -
Tks. again, Ray.
by Shirley R / April 2, 2005 7:07 AM PST

I was reading some of John's many, many posts, and I think he's away this week-end. Tks. for e-mailing him. You are a very thoughtful person. Happy

I love these forums. Everyone is so helpful.

Shirley

Collapse -
You are right!
by stonehkm / April 4, 2005 10:36 AM PDT

Socket "A" is going away. 754 will be for Semprons and all Athlon 64s will be based on socket 939 with, probably, PCI ExpressX16 Video cards.
So if you want a computer to last for years and be upgradable, socket 939 is the way to go:)

Collapse -
Looking good Shirley ...
by John Robie / April 2, 2005 12:13 PM PST

Hi Shirley.

I was out of town last weekend, but here recently doing chores around the homestead..like riding my mower. Beautiful days we are having... everything is green, last night in the 40'sF, today 72-73F.

Ray is correct about the 939 socket, but that cost a little more and since you live in a small town with only Wal-Mart and Best Buy, I don't see any 939 socket PC there in your price range.

I think you made a good selection on the HP a807W considering you are also getting a LED monitor with it at Wal-Mar for a total price of $798. That is a AMD Athlon 64 3200 processor which is a higher up model than the Athlon XP 3200 and has the 64-bit support. Another good feature is that although you will have integrated graphics, you can upgrade to higher end AGP video cards if it becomes necessary in the future. You can also increase the RAM if that ever becomes necessary, but you have good RAM for some time to come.

Best buy has one similar in the HP a810n model, but is $679 without a LED monitor.

I think you will be happy with what you selected.

Collapse -
Hi John
by Shirley R / April 3, 2005 6:16 AM PDT

Thanks for the info. One more favor, please. In a previous thread of mine I said that I had purchased an eMachine at Walmart, Model W3052, but took it back because I thought there was something wrong with it--wasn't any faster than old one. Turns out it is my dail-up connection of 24,000 bps. It's nice living in the country, but it does have its disadvantages! After living in the Phoenix area where houses are so close, we are enjoying our 4 acres, and walks in the woods--so peaceful and private.

When we purchased the W3052 we asked a salesperson at Walmart which of the two machines, A807W-B, or W3052, was the best. He considered himself very knowledgeable in PC's and suggested the W3052, because it had more on it. If I compare the two with my little knowledge, it looks like the processor is better on the A807, but not sure about dvdr/rw, and the graphics.

Will you please compare the two for me before I make the purchase?

Here is the link for the eMachine;
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=3649964#long_descr

Thank you.

Collapse -
No DSL, Cable in your area?? Maybe
by Ray Harinec / April 3, 2005 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi John

go satellite. Toni Hackler a Moderator in some of the forums has it.

If you would want to know more about it you could email her at her Moderator address. [it's not real cheap. LOL]

I used to be 28K, but new location I get up to 40K. LOL

Good luck on your computer selection.

Collapse -
Satellite
by Shirley R / April 4, 2005 9:31 AM PDT

No, Ray, there isn't DSL or cable, yet, but I think DSL will be coming shortly, can't wait. Happy I checked on satellite and it's $100.00, too rich for my budget.

Tks. for all your help.

Collapse -
Compare...
by John Robie / April 3, 2005 8:14 AM PDT

Yes, the A807W-B has a better processor, Athlon 64 3200, than the AMD Sempron 3000, and the burners are just about the same also with 'double layer' features.
The A807W-B has a 15" flat panel LCD monitor. They both have integrated graphics, unable to determin what chipset the W3052 has and if it has an AGP slot for upgrade.

Emachine recently came out with a new AMD Athlon 3200 (T6212) and Best Buy just put it on a sale today (for a week) with a printer & 17" Flat-Screen CRT monitor, total $550 after rebates, that you may be able to talk them to upgrade to a 15" flat panel LCD monitor like the other emachines for $80 exchange. That T6212 has integrated graphics but has a slot to upgrade in the future to the new PCI-Express x16 vidio cards. See in todays newspaper flyer or get the flyer at the store.

Bob Proffitt Dad's computer seems to also be a good buy for a factory reconditiond PC for $779. Don't believe it comes with monitor.

I have always had dial-up. It ususally ranges from 39 Kbps to 45Kbps.

Gotta go put new battery in auto, nice talking to you.

JR

Collapse -
Hi John
by Shirley R / April 4, 2005 9:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Compare...

Well, I've decided on the A807W-B. My current PC is a HP and I haven't had any problems with it. Hopefully, the new one will be as "trouble free".

Bob Proffitt's Dad's pc looks like a really good one, but no monitor as you said.

I want to thank you for taking the time to compare the pc's for me. It really helped a lot in making my decision.

Have a great week!

Collapse -
What is the better computer?
by Rick76 / April 12, 2005 4:12 PM PDT

I am interested in buying the E Machine model W3052. Is this a descent computer? Can someone please give me the pros and cons for this computer. Is it easily upgradeable?

I know they say the model T3256 is a decent computer and is easily upgradeable but I didn't want to spend that much money.

Also, can someone please tell me what firewall ports are?

Thanks

Rick

Collapse -
emachines T6212 vs T5026 vs W3052 Comparison, Help Please
by llewis / April 14, 2005 11:27 AM PDT

Can someone provide a comparison as to pros and cons for emachines T6212 vs T5026 vs W3052 (forget about prices).

Assuming price is not a concern, which one would you buy?

Collapse -
You really should create a new discussion
by Ray Harinec / April 14, 2005 12:30 PM PDT

[thread] for this question. This is a fairly old thread.

If you start one of your own you will be able to have your own dialogs, without getting confused with posts to Shirley.

It would also help if you provided links to a description of each of the machines.

Collapse -
Rick & Llewis....
by John Robie / April 14, 2005 1:16 PM PDT

Ray has a good point in that this should be as a different thread from Shirley R.

Anyway, I went to the Emachine site and looked at the 4 (counting Rick's) different machine specifications. In my opinion it boils down to the CPU.

T6212, T3256, T5026, W3052, all have 300Watt power supply, 512MB RAM, 160GB Hard Drive (except W3052 has 120GB), Integrated Graphics with an AGP slot for upgrade (except T5026 does not have AGP or PCI-E slot).

CPU:
T6212 = Athlon 64 3200 Processor
T3256 = Athlon XP 3200 Processor
W3052 = Athlon XP 3000 Processor
T5026 = Pent 4 519 (3.06 GHZ)(non 64-bit)

My pick would be the T6212 with 64-bit support for the future.

Collapse -
Opps....the T6212 has a PCI-E x16 slot for video upgrade
by John Robie / April 14, 2005 1:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Rick & Llewis....

which also makes it more up to date than the AGP slots.

Collapse -
Rick & Llewis...Today 5PM ET is last call for special
by John Robie / April 15, 2005 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Rick & Llewis....

combination price at Circuit City on the T6212 if interested. Just now noticed. Had thought it expired last Saturday like Best Buy.

Anyway the T6212 normally sells for $580 without a monitor or printer. Circuit City showing sale extension for T6212 with emachine 17" Flat-screen CRT monitor and Canon PIXMA Photo Printer, in package for $550 that ends at 5PM ET (Eastern Time) today.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/118273/bundleId/1213/rpem/ccd/bundleDetail.do

Collapse -
Socket 939
by stonehkm / April 4, 2005 10:41 AM PDT

Best Buy is now featuring socket 939 mobos and I suggest she needs to go that way. P.S. Best Buy now offers a configuration service and can customize:)

Collapse -
Socket 939
by John Robie / April 4, 2005 5:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Socket 939

Best Buy has a AMD HP a810n computer in her price range, but it is also a socket 754 and does not come with a LCD monitor. I already mentioned the T6212 to Shirley. Last time I checked the Emachine home/support site (yesterday they are down now) they did not have anything listed for the T6212 to see if it is a 939 socket.
The only other AMD computer I see at Best Buy cost $1500 & I didn't check the socket.

Collapse -
John, et al. The lowest priced 64 Bit
by Ray Harinec / April 5, 2005 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Socket 939

CPU is a socket 939, the 3000+ [yes, only runs at 1800, but]. I would therefore think that if the socket 754 is lower priced it is an effort to get rid of them.

All of the socket 939's are the 90 Nanometer dies, which in the case of AMD consume much less power and are probably giving higher yileds.

Remember also that for the standatd CPU the 754 does NOT support Dual Channel in the onchip MCH.

Collapse -
Thanks Ray and Stonehkm... I've known
by John Robie / April 5, 2005 6:01 AM PDT

about socket 939 and socket 754, and the difference of socket 939 vs 754 for some time. Your posts on socket 939 may be of benefit to others. Shirley said she only has Wal-Mart and Circuit City to buy a computer and doesn't want to buy on the internet. She mentioned a computer she was considering (HP A807W) that happens to have a 754 socket. I do not find a socket 939 computer at Best Buy or Wal-Mart. I don't know about the $1500 one. I mentioned the Emachine T6212 to her. Emachine just put the number up on their site yesterday, but as of yet does not list the specifications to determine if it has a 939 socket.

Wal-Mart does have the HP m1160n computer for $1048 that Bob's Dad purchased for much less as a refurb, and it is also a socket 754. The HP a810n is also a 754. There are a lot of socket 754's out there.:-)

Sorta of like the new PCI-Express technology for AMD and Intel, and or the new 64-bit tech on Intel computers. Awful, awful lot of computers for sale without those new technologies, and some like Dell only put the 64-bit tech (6xx number series) on their 8400 series and XPS gamer computer.... for now.

Collapse -
New Computer
by Shirley R / April 5, 2005 11:28 AM PDT

Fortunately,I did not buy the HP machine yet. Was waiting to go to Best Buy. I think I will wait a bit longer since the only ones apparently available to me are the ones with the 754 socket. I sure don't want to buy a machine that is already outdated.

I will keep checking eMachine's site to see what socket the T6212 has.

Tks. for all info, and help.

Collapse -
www.e4me.com
by damasta55r / April 5, 2005 11:39 AM PDT
In reply to: New Computer

has socket 939 because 2000Mhz.
Roger

Collapse -
Re: New Computer
by John Robie / April 6, 2005 2:45 AM PDT

Hi Shirley,

I will be out of State starting tomorrow for about a week and won't be posting, so thought I would let you know that the packaged deal for the CRT Monitor and Printer with the emachine T6212 for $550 will expire at Best Buy after this coming Saturday. They change their sales flyers every Sunday and it may not be on there for next week. Although you don't have a Circuit City store in your town, they also currently have the same $550 package deal, but unaware of when it expires...probably Saturday also.

Since Best Buy indicates in this weeks flyer for a upgrade from the 17" CRT monitor to a 15" LCD monitor for $80 increase on their emachine T3882 and T3958, perhaps they might consider doing the same for you on the T6212.

I see Emachine finally put up the specs for the T6212 yesterday, but didn't mention the socket number. I tend to believe that it does have the 939 socket.

A poster in the Desktop forum named twesterh claims he downloaded SiSoftware Sandra for his recently purchased emachine T6212 and found out about his board as MSI MS-7093 (RS480M2-IL) which is a 939 socket.

According to the Emachine site T6212 has a ATI Radeon

Collapse -
With the 64 bitters, the MCH,
by Ray Harinec / April 6, 2005 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: New Computer

Memory Controller Hub, is on the CPU die. Thus it can run at the same speed as the CPU interior.

The FSB was/is the bus from the MCH to the CPU core, but implemented differently in the AMD 64 bit CPU's, so perfectly OK to refer to it as the FSB. Some are now referring to it as FSB because so many people get consfused by not seeing an FSB listed. Strictly done to try to reduce confusion, and resulting in confusion to some. LOL.

Collapse -
AMD comparison charts don't use FSB for 64-bit
by John Robie / April 6, 2005 8:14 AM PDT

As I understand it Ray, AMD had their FSB to 400MHz in the Athlon XP series to compete with Intel. Intel came out with 800MHz FSB....AMD cannot go to the same 800MHz FSB as Intel, so instigated the Hyper Transport technology link to try and give the impression that it is at a higher level than the Intel 800MHZ FSB . According to AMD the Hyper Transport Tech operates at a frequency of 1600 MHZ for socket 754, and 2000 for socket 939. I wonder what the 'Hyper Transport' reading would be for Intel if they could use the AMD copywrite/pattened Hyper Transport technology....probably 3400MHz plus ...huh....;-)

Collapse -
I think the point is being missed
by Ray Harinec / April 13, 2005 12:59 AM PDT

that now that the MCH of the AMD 64 bitters is physically in the CPU, the FSB is meaningless, the hyper crap is just to confuse.

For Intel the MCH is still in the Nortbridge, except that Intel now calls the nothbridge the MCH. Intel has an FSB, and they get to the speed by quad clocking that bus rather than simple double clocking as DDR normally is. Very difficult scheme to understand but they quad clock 200 MHz busses to get 800 MHz [1066 in later ones with 266 DDR] but clock the DDR at the DDR speed, which I do not fully understand because the clocks are then asynchronous and thus there must be some wait states.

Collapse -
New Computer
by Shirley R / April 6, 2005 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: New Computer

Hi John:

Just wanted to let you know that I will be going to Best Buy this week to purchase the eMachine T6212. I've been checking around and this does seem like the best deal for the money. I'll see if I can upgrade to the LCD monitor for an additional $80.

I've sure learned a lot from this posting.:)

Thanks for all your help.

Enjoy your week!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Tks. to ALL for your help & input. Going for T6212.
by Shirley R / April 6, 2005 8:57 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.