Laptops forum

General discussion

is this a good gaming laptop

by jake2000bc / August 23, 2013 6:19 PM PDT

Hi all , wanted to get my first real gaming laptop and wanted to know your thoughts , thanks
TOSHIBA QOSMIO X500 18.4" HD Quad Core i7 Bluray/RW 8G 1T...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: is this a good gaming laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: is this a good gaming laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are no good models.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2013 6:44 AM PDT

Remember we are still talking compromises, higher costs for machine and repairs than the desktops so your "real gamers" rarely limit themselves to the laptops.

It's a nice model, will play current games but has all the baggage and limits of the laptop format.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by jake2000bc / August 24, 2013 5:18 PM PDT

Thanks for your time and reply Bob , only new to this and need and want a laptop, as long as it will play todays games , any more input from anyone would be helpful,

TOSHIBA QOSMIO X500 18.4" HD Quad Core i7 Bluray/RW 8G 1TB GTS250M/2G BT Win7

Collapse -
That's no laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2013 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

That's a desktop replacement. You do see students try to get those for college. The disaster usually occurs in year 2 or 3. Be sure this is not for a college student.
Bob

Collapse -
I have an earlier model
by itsdigger / August 25, 2013 7:37 AM PDT

of this and have to say that it's a fantastic machine But, As Bob said ,This is not a laptop, it's a desktop replacement. It's Huge! You're Not gonna want to lug this thing around all day at school. It'll play any game you want no sweat but understand this->->This Thing Generates A Lot Of Heat While Gaming<-<- and you can expect to take it apart in 2-3 years like I had to for repairs due to that heat. If it's going to stay home on a desk I'd suggest a desktop for gaming.

Collapse -
More info
by junky77 / August 26, 2013 6:52 PM PDT

budget?
games you want to play?
preferred screen size?
Where are you buying it?

Collapse -
ideas
by jake2000bc / August 27, 2013 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: More info

Can anyone recommend a good gaming laptop but not to dear , my dad found the Toshiba one , i asked him for a gaming laptop for my birthday and we found those , like them because large screen and hoping they would play todays games eg. battlefeild 3, boarderlands, black ops 2 , shooter games mainly, i've always had xbox 360 but wanted to go pc , i want a laptop as its moblie and i can take it to friends and also when dad works and i spend weekends with nan, these laptops range from $800 second hand to $1500 new on ebay,but dont think dad will be paying 1500 big ones , thanks heaps for your replys

Collapse -
So why not one from the CNET review at 999 or close?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2013 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: ideas

Right there when you wanted to travel I want to warn you away from 17 inch units. These do not last long for traveling. Stick with the usual 15 inch and ignore the 1080 pundits and you'll get a good performer.

Here's one from the CNET review that has been updated to Haswell.
http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y510p-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B00CRXZSYQ/

It's in and out of stock for a reason.
Bob

Collapse -
todays games
by jake2000bc / August 28, 2013 6:08 PM PDT

thanks again bob , learning learning so much i'm not sure of , so this laptop you have suggested will run todays games no problem, eg shooter games

Collapse -
Run, yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2013 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: todays games

But your die hard gamers and pundits push us back to desktops and much higher end GPUs. If we ignore them, yes the games run.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?